Thread: long loading time for long exposure shots

Default long loading time for long exposure shots

I was taking fireworks yesterday and i noticed that my 400d takes a long while to load/get ready for the next shot. my friend who's using a 350d loaded almost instantly tho. ): i recently bought my CF card. 8gb, 30mb/s.

could anyone offer me any advice?

Default Re: long loading time for long exposure shots

Switch off Noise reduction

Quote Originally Posted by geraldtwq View Post
    I was taking fireworks yesterday and i noticed that my 400d takes a long while to load/get ready for the next shot. my friend who's using a 350d loaded almost instantly tho. ): i recently bought my CF card. 8gb, 30mb/s.

could anyone offer me any advice?
    both of u using same settings?

he could also be using a higher end CF card that have faster write speed... but that should not be an issue cos 350D got a max write speed (meaning the card can be faster then the cam but the cam might not be so fast).

my guess is the setting, he might have uses a shorter exposure time (eg, he use 8secs, u use 16 secs?).

Blog Entries

It is probably your Long Exposure Noise reduction is set to "ON"

When you turn that feature on, after taking a shot, it will take another reference shot without opening the shutter with the same shutter speed and use it to do a comparison and remove noise. So if you shot a 30 second exposure, it will take another 30-35 seconds to finish processing and get ready for the next shot.

If you want instant, turn that feature off.

turn off your long exposure NR.

as for how to do it, read your manual.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    turn off your long exposure NR.
    no wonder my image process dam long.

thank you anyway.

forget abt camera NR, do it in PP better result

Disable the Noise Reduction feature.
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

Hi,
    Thanks knpan; DD; n86m. I had the same experience last night and was wondering about this problem until I read this thread and how to solve it. My cam manual only describe how to set LNR on/off and that it would reduce noise but did not mention that it will take double the time to record/process a shot on cam.
    Cheers.
    LEW

the double time is because of the same concept explained here:

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/blackframe.htm

hope this helps you understand what is going on.

like what others had mentioned, turn off the in-camera noise-reduction,
    it takes alot longer to process your image, and you are unable to control how much noise to remove / how much details to retain.
    It's best to reduce noise during pp

I had d NR feature turned on all d time n if it's does not help then y tis func is thr?

I don't get bothered by d long processing time tho as I took d time enjoy d scene.

Wats d hurry mate?

Quote Originally Posted by soulFLY View Post
    I had d NR feature turned on all d time n if it's does not help then y tis func is thr?

I don't get bothered by d long processing time tho as I took d time enjoy d scene.

Wats d hurry mate?
    thomas,

try shooting a sunset timing shot like this one

the light changes, so we have to gauge how much it changes, add accordingly.

now if it ends up as 2 minutes, when it needed a 3 minute exposure (to get it relatively ok), as humans are not always accurate and it will take a long, long time to get a good sense of how many more stops to add... and then light dies after 4 minutes - i.e. it goes just at the time when your camera happily finishes the black frame subtraction... previously you might have had a chance to redeem your underexposed photo, but now you are stuck with something which is way too dark to really use.

add that to the fact that if you have seen comparisons between cleaned up images without this long exposure NR, and ones with the black frame subtraction... for shots below 4 minutes (if i do not remember wrong), the difference is minimal.

another point to add is if you do not have sufficient GND strength to do up the scene nicely. and you want to use exposure blending with a long exposure. i'm sure you can see how things can get a bit scary after that, with mismatching frames that do not seem to adhere together coherently. same for panorama stitching of long exposures.

one other case where long exposure NR is bad is when you are exposing for star trails and using the stacking method. you will have breaks in your trails.

when you have the option to turn it off, then you will not notice the need for it.

when you can't turn it off (like i can't), then you will understand the pain...

i always enjoy the light during the long exposure itself. i do enjoy the waiting time after too, but i can't say that i enjoy waiting so long, and then getting all iffy exposures because of cloud movement obscuring the sun, light dying and misgauge the exposure , etc..

having a choice, is always a good thing, as long as you can make a difference with that choice.
    Last edited by night86mare; 10th August 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulFLY View Post

Wats d hurry mate?
    for shots like what night86mare had mentioned, sunset / sunrise or other time-critical shots. The extra time taken by the NR feature is critical.

The in-camera NR feature does help.
    But if you do PP, it's better to do it during PP, as you get alot more control on the reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    for shots like what night86mare had mentioned, sunset / sunrise or other time-critical shots. The extra time taken by the NR feature is critical.

The in-camera NR feature does help.
    But if you do PP, it's better to do it during PP, as you get alot more control on the reduction.
    thomas,

try shooting a sunset timing shot like this one

the light changes, so we have to gauge how much it changes, add accordingly.

now if it ends up as 2 minutes, when it needed a 3 minute exposure (to get it relatively ok), as humans are not always accurate and it will take a long, long time to get a good sense of how many more stops to add... and then light dies after 4 minutes - i.e. it goes just at the time when your camera happily finishes the black frame subtraction... previously you might have had a chance to redeem your underexposed photo, but now you are stuck with something which is way too dark to really use.

add that to the fact that if you have seen comparisons between cleaned up images without this long exposure NR, and ones with the black frame subtraction... for shots below 4 minutes (if i do not remember wrong), the difference is minimal.

another point to add is if you do not have sufficient GND strength to do up the scene nicely. and you want to use exposure blending with a long exposure. i'm sure you can see how things can get a bit scary after that, with mismatching frames that do not seem to adhere together coherently. same for panorama stitching of long exposures.

one other case where long exposure NR is bad is when you are exposing for star trails and using the stacking method. you will have breaks in your trails.

when you have the option to turn it off, then you will not notice the need for it.

when you can't turn it off (like i can't), then you will understand the pain...

i always enjoy the light during the long exposure itself. i do enjoy the waiting time after too, but i can't say that i enjoy waiting so long, and then getting all iffy exposures because of cloud movement obscuring the sun, light dying and misgauge the exposure , etc..

having a choice, is always a good thing, as long as you can make a difference with that choice.

Hi Guys,

Truly agree with both of you. Photography is always a challenge where you need to source and wait for a good light for an excellent image plus the technique used.

As for the capturing the correct exposure during sunset, do you need that prolong exposure? Say using a 9 or 10 stop ND? its going to be pain and like said, the light falls to fast. Thus, is it better to use a lesser stops ND for it?

Many of us had gone through all this during the film era and there is options for film type with different ISO to obtain the right exposure at different time of the day depends on the mood that ones want to portray.

Eh, wait, am going way off topic already...

Yep, lets switch off the NR to reduce the processing time and try to get the right exposure; well at least some offset if in Bulb mode when you observed the light drift is drastic.

I sucks in PP, that is why I had the NR turned on and also enjoy the moment..

Cheers guys...

my camera cannot turn off long exposure NR

yes, i want to use a nd106, nd8 will still not give a long enough exposure to smooth out water.

unfortunately, we have limited funds right now... :P

yes, i want to use a nd106, nd8 will still not give a long enough exposure to smooth out water.

unfortunately, we have limited funds right now... :P

when comes to photography, there is always not enough and need to BBB...

thanks for the tips guys. it kinda sucked when my friends were taking a couple more shots with the firework while i had to wait for mine to process my photo. :/

anyways, what's PP?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldtwq View Post
    thanks for the tips guys. it kinda sucked when my friends were taking a couple more shots with the firework while i had to wait for mine to process my photo. :/

anyways, what's PP?
    PP = post processing... basically further manipulation of the image on the computer, by using software like Lightroom, Photoshop, etc etc etc...

switch camp?
    Exploring! :)