Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

  1. #1

    Default Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with smoke inside my fireworks pictures taken during NDP (Dunno why humid or what, the smoke didn't dissipate fast enough).

    Is there anyone who can provide a tutorial on how to pp the smoke away? I tried with GIMP and screwed up the photo quite a bit -.-"
    Canon 500D|EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM|EF 50mm f/1.8|EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    yeap, that happened to me as well. i hope there's smth to rescue these pictures~
    Last edited by Photofreak123; 10th August 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Instead of creating new threads and "hoping for a solution", why not try to put some basic basic effort into finding a solution on your own instead of expecting other people to do your research for you? Try a search on here or google for "how to remove smoke from fireworks pictures". Even in google, the first few links will already give you your answers.

    Easy, right? No need to ask people to give you a tutorial if you put basic effort into it. FYI, a CS term of use is to search before posting. With all the thousands and thousands of threads and posts, you can believe 100% your question is not a new one (especially since it comes up over and over again at every national day or new years eve for many years now).
    Last edited by Rashkae; 10th August 2010 at 02:07 AM.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    alamak, just ask RSAF to position 2 chin hook above the fireworks lor.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    alamak, just ask RSAF to position 2 chin hook above the fireworks lor.
    then later the fireworks hit the chinnok how?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    then later the fireworks hit the chinnok how?
    you will get spectacular pictures!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Use bulb mode, so the smoke would not be exposed to the sensor. Alternatively, use a black card to block the lens when there is smoke. It's not Photoshop or Gimp, it's you.
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 10th August 2010 at 10:50 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Use bulb mode, so the smoke would not be exposed to the sensor. Alternatively, use a black card to block the lens when there is smoke. It's not Photoshop or Gimp, it's you.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    don't pull their legs lar....


    Quote Originally Posted by nzijun View Post
    Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with smoke inside my fireworks pictures taken during NDP (Dunno why humid or what, the smoke didn't dissipate fast enough).

    Is there anyone who can provide a tutorial on how to pp the smoke away? I tried with GIMP and screwed up the photo quite a bit -.-"
    Quote Originally Posted by Photofreak123 View Post
    yeap, that happened to me as well. i hope there's smth to rescue these pictures~
    to find the quick answers in CS, just use the search function with keywords "fireworks", "smoke" in thread title search.

    you should able to find the answers very fast.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    then later the fireworks hit the chinnok how?
    We can see bigger firework and smoke

  11. #11

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Actually, I did try to search, but me being very new on GIMP, my efforts were quite futile since I got quite confused by the search results. Was hoping someone could provide more comprehensible answers :P

    I ended up trying to burn the smoke away using the dodge/burn tool, it worked alright, but the tip of the fireworks seemed somewhat over-contrasted LOL. Aiyah, very frustrated.
    Canon 500D|EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM|EF 50mm f/1.8|EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    Quote Originally Posted by nzijun View Post
    Actually, I did try to search, but me being very new on GIMP, my efforts were quite futile since I got quite confused by the search results. Was hoping someone could provide more comprehensible answers :P

    I ended up trying to burn the smoke away using the dodge/burn tool, it worked alright, but the tip of the fireworks seemed somewhat over-contrasted LOL. Aiyah, very frustrated.
    Dodge/burn tool is not the right tool. Trying using the Clone/Healing brush instead.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRF6IIRRZeQ

    The video clip is for facial touch up; use the same approach for firework.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

    I hope you guys somehow got to read these tips before shooting. If not, well, try again during YOG or next year's NDP...

    http://www.phototipzone.com/photogra...k-photography/
    Firework Taking Strategy
    Although the whole firework show can last for 10-20 minutes, you can only take some great shoots in the first few minutes. The sky will full of smoke after a while, it is hardly to have a good image. You need to setup the equipment, set the correct exposure, set the focus, compose your picture (if you can) before the show starts. Remember, if you miss the first few minutes, you need to wait for next time.
    http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...rk-photography
    Stay upwind of the fireworks if possible, to avoid smoke blowing towards you during the display and ruining your photos.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th August 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •