Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Pls recommend a food stylist

  1. #1

    Default Pls recommend a food stylist

    i'm looking for a food stylist for a TV commercial shoot in 2 weeks time. I found one which cost $2500/ day?!! pls help

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by ckchan View Post
    i'm looking for a food stylist for a TV commercial shoot in 2 weeks time. I found one which cost $2500/ day?!! pls help
    Best person in the business is Fanny, she's probably the best in SEA. What's the name you got? And what's your budget?

    Wes
    Last edited by wesley; 10th August 2010 at 12:56 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Fanny starts at ard $3,000 per day IIRC.

    Junior stylists start at around $1,200 - $1,800 per day, and intermediate goes for $1,500 min to $2,500 and above per day.

    If your commercial needs to look good, as say opposed to something very static (you don't mention what needs to be done), you might want to budget at least $2,000 - $3,000 per day.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by ckchan View Post
    i'm looking for a food stylist for a TV commercial shoot in 2 weeks time. I found one which cost $2500/ day?!! pls help
    Gotta let your client know that if they have a tight budget (even for a tv commercial), then they may have to expect a compromise in the end result.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Your client thinks it is cheap like engaging a photographer. This is the kind of rate you have to pay to a food stylist.

    Attention all Photographers, It's about time to up our price or we will be eating bones

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by optione View Post
    Your client thinks it is cheap like engaging a photographer. This is the kind of rate you have to pay to a food stylist.

    Attention all Photographers, It's about time to up our price or we will be eating bones
    Hi

    Understand your point of view but let's not go OT on this. That's another topic for another thread.

    Wes

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Curious. What does a food stylist do? Does the food stylist need to take photos too?
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Curious. What does a food stylist do? Does the food stylist need to take photos too?
    Hey there

    Googled this. Have a good read.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_photography

    Wes

  9. #9

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Even a heart specialist dont make $3000/ day. Thanks for the info

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by ckchan View Post
    Even a heart specialist dont make $3000/ day. Thanks for the info
    Maybe the heart specialist hv a monthly fixed salary, whereas the food stylist charges on an assignment basis. Can't do that $$ x 30 days comparison.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    No they don't.

    A Food Stylist IS a specialist.

    Not even 'most' photographers are called 'specialists'. As far as Food Stylist go, photographer usually rank second or even third to the stylist and assistant but of course, we 'say otherwise' lah! LOL!

    Where the food really counts, without them, you generally can't get the food to be 'photographically ready'. That's why they are priced so high.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th August 2010 at 12:48 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Sorry OT a bit,

    by the way, no one in the right mind to ask a price where one don't get any work.

    I think most food stylist is running at abt the above recommended price or more so it is not a surprise.

    Stylist makes whatever you do as photographer look good. So pls have some respect for them.

    Hart

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    A good food stylist like Fanny can make even an average photographer look good.

    $3K for Fanny is well worth the $ as she not only styles the food, she also works with the photographer on the lighting, concept and even does the art direction.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by ckchan View Post
    Even a heart specialist dont make $3000/ day. Thanks for the info
    Well, look at it this way, Fanny charge $3K because she's the best, how much do the best heart specialist charge
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  15. #15
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Many (maybe not all) heart specialists i know make more than $3k a day. i know coz i have seen the books myself. In fact, many other medical specialists that I know are making way beyond 10k a day. So what's 3k?

    In this industry, you are as good as the amount of fees that you are able to command.

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Well, look at it this way, Fanny charge $3K because she's the best, how much do the best heart specialist charge

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Heart specialist is for heart. Food specialist is for food. Can't mix. haa haa

    I wouldn't want a heart specialist to mess with my food and vice versa.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  17. #17

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Hello ckchan,

    Since you haven't stated the nature of your shoot (ie advertising, etc). You might like to know that there are cheaper sytlists that might fit your bill. Experience plays a big part in the fees. If your project requirement is not high (eg food is small part of your frame/composition) you might get away with something decent. If you're looking for closeups (ie McDonald ads etc), you will need someone experienced.

    That said, if there are emergencies, a good stylist can save your shoot, cut down your shoot time, and make you look good. If you have the wrong stylist on hand, you will end up with a shoot from hell. There are only a few subject matter that are out of the hands of the photographer/videographer, food is one of them.

    Wes
    Last edited by wesley; 12th August 2010 at 01:24 PM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    I would suggest Fanny too.
    Work with her before and i can see why she is worth that rate.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Hello ckchan,

    Since you haven't stated the nature of your shoot (ie advertising, etc). You might like to know that there are cheaper sytlists that might fit your bill. Experience plays a big part in the fees. If your project requirement is not high (eg food is small part of your frame/composition) you might get away with something decent. If you're looking for closeups (ie McDonald ads etc), you will need someone experienced.

    That said, if there are emergencies, a good stylist can save your shoot, cut down your shoot time, and make you look good. If you have the wrong stylist on hand, you will end up with a shoot from hell. There are only a few subject matter that are out of the hands of the photographer/videographer, food is one of them.

    Wes
    Agreed with wesley, depanding what the shoot is for and the final usage some photographer can do the food styling as well.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Pls recommend a food stylist

    Quote Originally Posted by green_leaf View Post
    I would suggest Fanny too.
    Work with her before and i can see why she is worth that rate.
    You should see her store room/house of props
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •