Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LEE Filter System

Default Re: LEE Filter System

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Can't be bro. The box are all Hitechs. And I saw this big big stack of mostly GNDs. Only Hitechs because Hitech pack their filters in clear plastic sleeves. LEE filters are packed differently, in black cloth cases.
    Thanks bro
    I'm looking for LEE filters, not Hitech, so I guess it's out for now
    Sorry for the confusion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
    Thanks bro
    I'm looking for LEE filters, not Hitech, so I guess it's out for now
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Oh ok. You should give Hitech a try. Work just as well.

Yeah, I'll give it some thought.
    Thanks again!

I was down at TK yesterday and talked to one of the people over there regarding the Lee filters. We were talking about color cast of the Cokin filters and during the conversation he reflected that recently they got some complaints from some customers that they are encountering color cast on the Lee filter. I was rather shock when hearing this as Lee filters are suppose to be free of color cast. He said maybe the QA for the recent batch of Lee filters is not good. Anyone of just got Lee filter recently and encountering color cast?

Quote Originally Posted by riftmage View Post
    I was down at TK yesterday and talked to one of the people over there regarding the Lee filters. We were talking about color cast of the Cokin filters and during the conversation he reflected that recently they got some complaints from some customers that they are encountering color cast on the Lee filter. I was rather shock when hearing this as Lee filters are suppose to be free of color cast. He said maybe the QA for the recent batch of Lee filters is not good. Anyone of just got Lee filter recently and encountering color cast?
    Doesn't mean hitech no color casts either... Go do a check on google... we get lemons from all the brands... bummer isn't it?

I just pray that the QC for the big stopper is consistent all the way...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Doesn't mean hitech no color casts either... Go do a check on google... we get lemons from all the brands... bummer isn't it?:
    That's what the uncle said too!

I was prepared to just get the Cokin and do PP to get rid of the color cast anyway since Hitech and Lee is so expensive when compared to Cokin.

Blog Entries

That's what the uncle said too!

I was prepared to just get the Cokin and do PP to get rid of the color cast anyway since Hitech and Lee is so expensive when compared to Cokin.
    You can remove most of the color casts in Cokin but not all. You will lose some color detail due to the casts, that is without doubt.

Actually I do not find Hitech that much more expensive. Cokin P GND is around 40+ a piece already. That is for 85mm. Hitech GND if you get the 3 pack is $200. so each piece comes up to 60+. And this is for the 100mm x 150mm GNDs. Cokin P 85mm ND cost around high 30+. Hitech ND 100mm cost 60. Not that much more, in my book.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th August 2010 at 12:03 PM.

I don't think it's colour casts. It's more of a production fault on the manufacturer's side that caused some discoloration. But they're trying to recall back the batch and willing to replace any faulty filters foc. Quite good after sales service I would say, but I think that is expected of them, since they're charging more than the others

I don't think it's colour casts. It's more of a production fault on the manufacturer's side that caused some discoloration. But they're trying to recall back the batch and willing to replace any faulty filters foc. Quite good after sales service I would say, but I think that is expected of them, since they're charging more than the others
    Seems like LEE now got color cast also...but how do u know whether you got the good batch without manufacturing deffects?

Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Seems like LEE now got color cast also...but how do u know whether you got the good batch without manufacturing deffects?
    Just check to see if there're discoloured bands on the filters when you look through them. These "banding" areas are normally lighter in colour than the rest of the filter. Sometimes strange markings may appear too. If there's anything wrong with the filters, they'll normally show up quite early, so if you've been using them for more than a few months, then you need not worry

This is why I pointed our very early in this thread:

"Since color cast is due to leakage of near infra-red (NIR) light onto the sensor, there are two factors contributing to its appearance: (a) transmittivity of external filters to ND light vs visible light (b) transmittivity of in-camera NIR cut-off filter. Different camera models may therefore have different susceptibilities to color casts."

Unless one consistently uses the same camera for all the filter testing, it's really hard to conclude anything. Having said that, I suspect color casting issue is probably more severe with Cokin but less often on the Lee & Hitech stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    This is why I pointed our very early in this thread:

"Since color cast is due to leakage of near infra-red (NIR) light onto the sensor, there are two factors contributing to its appearance: (a) transmittivity of external filters to ND light vs visible light (b) transmittivity of in-camera NIR cut-off filter. Different camera models may therefore have different susceptibilities to color casts."

Unless one consistently uses the same camera for all the filter testing, it's really hard to conclude anything. Having said that, I suspect color casting issue is probably more severe with Cokin but less often on the Lee & Hitech stuff.
    It's not the color cast they were talking about. When I was talking to Philip at TK, he told me the filter itself, the density of the GND/ND is varying from filter to filter. And some filters looked uneven when held up to the light.

It's not the color cast they were talking about. When I was talking to Philip at TK, he told me the filter itself, the density of the GND/ND is varying from filter to filter. And some filters looked uneven when held up to the light.
    Yeah, I agree with what's been said... Before you hand over your cash, ask to take out the filter to check for the gradient against a strong light (ceiling). Make sure the gradient demarcation line (the area where grey starts to fade off to clear) is completely straight or else anomallies will occur. If you detect something weird, you know what to do. I doubt they will let you handle all the pieces, so get them to help. And I don't think there will be THAT many bad samples... Mine was the first piece handed to me, and I was okay with it.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 14th August 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Yeah that's right, I don't think he was referring to colour casts as LEE and Singh Ray are two of the most neutral filters in the market. But then, like mentioned by another bro, colour cast could be caused by camera bodies and sensors too so hard to draw a conclusion.

Regarding the unevenness, I think TK was talking about a degradation in the neutral density coating over a period of time so makes little sense even if it looks perfect when we buy them. However, I think this normally wont happen unless it's a manufacturing fault in the entire batch

Blog Entries

Yeah that's right, I don't think he was referring to colour casts as LEE and Singh Ray are two of the most neutral filters in the market. But then, like mentioned by another bro, colour cast could be caused by camera bodies and sensors too so hard to draw a conclusion.

Regarding the unevenness, I think TK was talking about a degradation in the neutral density coating over a period of time so makes little sense even if it looks perfect when we buy them. However, I think this normally wont happen unless it's a manufacturing fault in the entire batch
    They are not talking about changes over time.

They are saying people are complaining that the ND is uneven... lighter in some parts, darker in some.

They are not talking about changes over time.

They are saying people are complaining that the ND is uneven... lighter in some parts, darker in some.
    I see. In that case, it's better to ensure before making purchases
    Personally, and luckily, I haven't come across any unevenness with new filters.

Hi guys, im actually hoping to invest in a set of proper filter system. I had bought online a 3rd party (no brand) filter holder with adapter rings together with some GNDs and tried them out. It felt good as i was able to bring down the level of brightness in the sky while keeping the lower part bright and those kind of stuffs. Would the LEE filter system be a good system to invest on? Or should i go for Cokin or Hitech?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Hi guys, im actually hoping to invest in a set of proper filter system. I had bought online a 3rd party (no brand) filter holder with adapter rings together with some GNDs and tried them out. It felt good as i was able to bring down the level of brightness in the sky while keeping the lower part bright and those kind of stuffs. Would the LEE filter system be a good system to invest on? Or should i go for Cokin or Hitech?
    Hitech just released their Pro series filters, which are made of glass. Apparently, from reviews, they are comparable and in some instances better than the Lee pro glass filters. Worth a look.

Hitech just released their Pro series filters, which are made of glass. Apparently, from reviews, they are comparable and in some instances better than the Lee pro glass filters. Worth a look.
    http://www.formatt.co.uk/default.aspx

Are these the ones you're refering to? Would their cost be lower than the LEE filter system? As im only just starting out i hope i can get a cheaper but good standard set while upgrading maybe later.
    Last edited by gohjialong; 13th June 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong

http://www.formatt.co.uk/default.aspx

Are these the ones you're refering to? Would their cost be lower than the LEE filter system? As im only just starting out i hope i can get a cheaper but good standard set while upgrading maybe later.
    Yes, they are cheaper than Lee. TK foto brings them in. You can check prices with them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast