Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

Thread: LEE Filter System

  1. #1

    Default LEE Filter System

    Hi all, i have been into photography for about one yr n recently bought myself Tokina 11-16mm because i like landscape a lot.

    I'm considering to invest on the LEE filter system after doing some research and following the thread regarding filters here in clubsnap.

    Apparently most of the ppl r using Lee filter holder with Hitech filters because there r cheaper alternative to Lee filters, n yet produce comparable result.

    I read from somewhere that the LEE filters is actually 150mm long while Hitech is only 125mm. Because of this, a LEE Hard edge GND filter can actually be use as an ND also since the darker part is longer. So in the end even u pay more for the LEE GND, but actually u r also saving money from getting another separate ND filter.

    Can anybody here using LEE comfirm on this? Is the result same when using a GND as ND?

    Thanks in advance as i really hope my money go into the right way.

  2. #2
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Hi all, i have been into photography for about one yr n recently bought myself Tokina 11-16mm because i like landscape a lot.

    I'm considering to invest on the LEE filter system after doing some research and following the thread regarding filters here in clubsnap.

    Apparently most of the ppl r using Lee filter holder with Hitech filters because there r cheaper alternative to Lee filters, n yet produce comparable result.

    I read from somewhere that the LEE filters is actually 150mm long while Hitech is only 125mm. Because of this, a LEE Hard edge GND filter can actually be use as an ND also since the darker part is longer. So in the end even u pay more for the LEE GND, but actually u r also saving money from getting another separate ND filter.

    Can anybody here using LEE comfirm on this? Is the result same when using a GND as ND?

    Thanks in advance as i really hope my money go into the right way.
    Abso-duper-lutely! Of course the better bet would be the hard gradient just to be sure of complete coverage. The softer gradient means there's a chance of fade off... But since we're working with 77 mm lens openings most of the time - it would work! Get the GND first before the NDs... If the GND works, no need for NDs!
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Hi all, i have been into photography for about one yr n recently bought myself Tokina 11-16mm because i like landscape a lot.

    I'm considering to invest on the LEE filter system after doing some research and following the thread regarding filters here in clubsnap.

    Apparently most of the ppl r using Lee filter holder with Hitech filters because there r cheaper alternative to Lee filters, n yet produce comparable result.

    I read from somewhere that the LEE filters is actually 150mm long while Hitech is only 125mm. Because of this, a LEE Hard edge GND filter can actually be use as an ND also since the darker part is longer. So in the end even u pay more for the LEE GND, but actually u r also saving money from getting another separate ND filter.

    Can anybody here using LEE comfirm on this? Is the result same when using a GND as ND?

    Thanks in advance as i really hope my money go into the right way.
    What happens when you want to stack an ND and a GND? You cannot spawn a new GND on the fly can't you?

    BTW my Hitech GND are all 4" X 6" (100mm x 150mm).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th August 2010 at 10:04 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    What happens when you want to stack an ND and a GND? You cannot spawn a new GND on the fly can't you?

    BTW my Hitech GND are all 4" X 6" (100mm x 150mm).
    Hi, DD123, i agree that it will be a problem if u wan to stack the filters but i thought it is not encourage since it will produce color cast?

    I dunno Hitech also come out with 4X6'' already? Because i search over the net all info given was LEE 4X6'', hitech 4X5'', is it the latest one?

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Hi, DD123, i agree that it will be a problem if u wan to stack the filters but i thought it is not encourage since it will produce color cast?

    I dunno Hitech also come out with 4X6'' already? Because i search over the net all info given was LEE 4X6'', hitech 4X5'', is it the latest one?
    One of the biggest reasons to switch to LEE and Hitech is so that we will not get color casts.


    And if you look at Hitech filters website, the GNDs comes in 3 kinds. 100mm, 85mm and 100mm x 150mm. So I presume the 1st kind is 100mm x 125mm.

    http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...s-filters.aspx

    The ones sold in TK Foto are all 100mm x 150mm.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th August 2010 at 11:12 PM.

  6. #6
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One of the biggest reasons to switch to LEE and Hitech is so that we will not get color casts.


    And if you look at Hitech filters website, the GNDs comes in 3 kinds. 100mm, 85mm and 100mm x 150mm. So I presume the 1st kind is 100mm x 125mm.

    http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...s-filters.aspx

    The ones sold in TK Foto are all 100mm x 150mm.
    Just which ones did you get bro? The 3-in-1 pack or individually?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Just which ones did you get bro? The 3-in-1 pack or individually?
    I got the 3 in 1 pack, which is actually the same as getting one by one, just that you pay a bit less.

    I bought them used, by the way, together with the LEE foundation kit, saving me a cool $70.

  8. #8
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I got the 3 in 1 pack, which is actually the same as getting one by one, just that you pay a bit less.

    I bought them used, by the way, together with the LEE foundation kit, saving me a cool $70.
    Thanks bro. I'm considering whether I should get the 3-in-1 or individually... something like 0.6, 0.9, 1.2 and then the Lee Big Stopper... Again...think think think... but thanks for the heads-up about 4 X 6 dimensions!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 8th August 2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Thanks bro. I'm considering whether I should get the 3-in-1 or individually... something like 0.6, 0.9, 1.2 and then the Lee Big Stopper...
    Seriously if you ask me, GND 0.3 is quite useless. For me, it is about a used package that is very worth it. If I am to get it myself, I will get GND 0.6 0.9, ND - 0.6, 0.9, and big stopper.

    BTW I am not going to get big stopper, because I already have the ND110.

  10. #10
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Seriously if you ask me, GND 0.3 is quite useless. For me, it is about a used package that is very worth it. If I am to get it myself, I will get GND 0.6 0.9, ND - 0.6, 0.9, and big stopper.

    BTW I am not going to get big stopper, because I already have the ND110.
    Thanks for your suggestion bro! Congrats on your ND110, hard thing to come by!! Got $$ also no use... no stock everywhere.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion bro! Congrats on your ND110, hard thing to come by!! Got $$ also no use... no stock everywhere.
    Actually, I got a while back already... Also no stock back then. You just have to put an order through to one of the mass sales seller. I bought from Visontechnik...

  12. #12

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One of the biggest reasons to switch to LEE and Hitech is so that we will not get color casts.


    And if you look at Hitech filters website, the GNDs comes in 3 kinds. 100mm, 85mm and 100mm x 150mm. So I presume the 1st kind is 100mm x 125mm.

    http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...s-filters.aspx

    The ones sold in TK Foto are all 100mm x 150mm.
    Thanks DD123 for the confirmation, glad to know that Hitech also come in 4X6''.

    BTW, which type of GND r u using? Hard or soft? If i would like to take sunrise/sunset photos, reverse GND will be more suitable is it?

    What is your recomendation of filters to star with if i like landscape n more on sunrise/sunset?

    Thanks.

  13. #13

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    BTW my Hitech GND are all 4" X 6" (100mm x 150mm).
    hi

    u r the first one i know using hitech... how did they perform? better than cokin? any color cast?

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Thanks DD123 for the confirmation, glad to know that Hitech also come in 4X6''.

    BTW, which type of GND r u using? Hard or soft? If i would like to take sunrise/sunset photos, reverse GND will be more suitable is it?

    What is your recomendation of filters to star with if i like landscape n more on sunrise/sunset?

    Thanks.
    I am using soft edge. Yes reverse GND can work well, but it seems that it is not available.

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi

    u r the first one i know using hitech... how did they perform? better than cokin? any color cast?
    No color cast so far.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore/Malaysia
    Posts
    394

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Seriously if you ask me, GND 0.3 is quite useless. For me, it is about a used package that is very worth it. If I am to get it myself, I will get GND 0.6 0.9, ND - 0.6, 0.9, and big stopper.

    BTW I am not going to get big stopper, because I already have the ND110.
    hi,
    can i check with you how you manage to use ND110 and a filter holder system effective/efficiently.

    I'm using the ND110 + tianya holder & filters. I find it quite a hassle to remove the whole setup to recompose the shot or prepare for a new shot. for this reason i have been considering getting the lee system holder (which is snap on type) very fast to just remove the whole setup, or just can shift the big stopper up compose/meter and shift back.

    any pointers? thanks

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by die Blende View Post
    hi,
    can i check with you how you manage to use ND110 and a filter holder system effective/efficiently.

    I'm using the ND110 + tianya holder & filters. I find it quite a hassle to remove the whole setup to recompose the shot or prepare for a new shot. for this reason i have been considering getting the lee system holder (which is snap on type) very fast to just remove the whole setup, or just can shift the big stopper up compose/meter and shift back.

    any pointers? thanks
    Yes, big stopper will be a lot easier to work with.

    ND110 is a little more troublesome. I compose first and lock the ballhead down. Take the meter reading. Put on the ND110, and the other filters if desired. Do my meter calculation. Then fire off. 99% of the time when I use the ND110, I do not use any filters infront.

  18. #18

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    I am using the Lee filter holder + Hitech GND 0.9 (3-stops, soft-edge), reverse GND 0.9 (3-stops), ND 1.2 (4-stops) + Lee Big Stopper (10-stops). All the graduated ND filters have a size of 100 x 150 mm and the solid ND filters 100 x 100 mm (both Hitech and Lee).

    Since color cast is due to leakage of near infra-red (NIR) light onto the sensor, there are two factors contributing to its appearance: (a) transmittivity of external filters to ND light vs visible light (b) transmittivity of in-camera NIR cut-off filter. Different camera models may therefore have different susceptibilities to color casts. Having said that, the Hitech filters seem fine to me.

    PS: I am using a Kinesis Photogear filter pouch to hold all my filters & holders. The only downside is they are only available in the US.

  19. #19

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    I am using the Lee filter holder + Hitech GND 0.9 (3-stops, soft-edge), reverse GND 0.9 (3-stops), ND 1.2 (4-stops) + Lee Big Stopper (10-stops). All the graduated ND filters have a size of 100 x 150 mm and the solid ND filters 100 x 100 mm (both Hitech and Lee).

    Since color cast is due to leakage of near infra-red (NIR) light onto the sensor, there are two factors contributing to its appearance: (a) transmittivity of external filters to ND light vs visible light (b) transmittivity of in-camera NIR cut-off filter. Different camera models may therefore have different susceptibilities to color casts. Having said that, the Hitech filters seem fine to me.

    PS: I am using a Kinesis Photogear filter pouch to hold all my filters & holders. The only downside is they are only available in the US.

    Thanks for the info. May i know where u bought all your hitech filters?

    From your current set up, seem like you use mostly 0.9 and 1.2 (3-stops and 4-stops) only, is this enough to cover most of the landscape photograph? What about 0.3 and 0.6? I'm still thinking which combination to get since i never use any filters before n need your advice here.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: LEE Filter System

    Quote Originally Posted by ckkent View Post
    Hi all, i have been into photography for about one yr n recently bought myself Tokina 11-16mm because i like landscape a lot.

    I'm considering to invest on the LEE filter system after doing some research and following the thread regarding filters here in clubsnap.

    Apparently most of the ppl r using Lee filter holder with Hitech filters because there r cheaper alternative to Lee filters, n yet produce comparable result.

    I read from somewhere that the LEE filters is actually 150mm long while Hitech is only 125mm. Because of this, a LEE Hard edge GND filter can actually be use as an ND also since the darker part is longer. So in the end even u pay more for the LEE GND, but actually u r also saving money from getting another separate ND filter.

    Can anybody here using LEE comfirm on this? Is the result same when using a GND as ND?

    Thanks in advance as i really hope my money go into the right way.
    Hi,

    i am using LEE system with soft and hard GNDS.. and screw on ND filters..

    i say get a dedicated ND instead of doubling up ur GND as an ND.. The effect is different as the GNDs is not Dense enough for that purpose.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •