Thread: canon 50mm f/1.4 v canon 85mm f/1.8

Default canon 50mm f/1.4 v canon 85mm f/1.8

Hi all, I'm pretty fresh to photography ( a few months into this). Looking for a comfortable and versatile prime lens to last me some time before i consider a upgrade. I'm looking at both the canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. I'm using a canon 50d

I'm more into portrait and landscape photography, but I'm hoping for this lens to be something I can use for more as a walk around lens for still life, street scenes and tight close up portraits. Saw some samples of both lens online but still can't decide.

Also, I need some help understanding the follow spec details:

Construction (groups elements) 6-7 7-9
    No. of Diaphragm Blades 8 8
    Drive System Ring-type USM Ring-type USM

Do advise me on which to choose over pros/cons. thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: canon 50mm f/1.4 v canon 85mm f/1.8

u are using a crop factor cam body so u need to note the 1.6 factor.

i think 85mm will be too tight for u since on your cam body it becomes 135mm. but since u are into street and tigher close up, 85mm will be suitable for u. but note that u need to stand quite far back to take photo.

id recommend a 30-35mm lens if you're planning to use it as a walk around because of the crop factor haha
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

both lens are quite tight on a crop body.. especially for landscape you are not going to get anything in ur shot...

if you're into landscape get a wide angle..

if you are looking at a general walk around, street captures, portraits, the 50mm or 85mm is good.. but it will be a really tight FOV..

if you're looking at general walk about lens, i suggest you get a normal zoom, instead of prime..

but if you're still insistent on getting a prime, i suggest you just get a 50mm 1.8... its way cheaper than a 1.4, and many have testified equally good, and it will let you have a feel of using a 50mm.. if later you wanna upgrade (even though the nifty fifty is a solid lens) you can still sell it off..

especially if you are new to photography, no point splashing $500+ on getting a lens and then not liking it..

Blog Entries

Buy both?

It would REALLY help to try a search first next time:

50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...anon+50mm+85mm
    Alpha

skills do counts too other than equipment.. this is taken with 550d with 50 1.8 by ME.

Think fast, aim for the best !

Smile Re: canon 50mm f/1.4 v canon 85mm f/1.8

Many people want to just buy 1 lens that can do everything, but infact that's quite hard. Firstly humans are insatisfiable creatures, secondly if the camera companies will go out of business if everyone just need one lens.

In your situation, I think it's still better to buy a zoom lens. Go out and shoot alot, then find out which focal length you find most comfortable for you

The 35mm or 28mm would be more suited for a walk about lens.
    The 2 you listed are generally too tight in FOV.

That saying, if you must choose between the two (imo you can't )
    50mm has a broader FOV. For close-ups, it does focus around 50cm, so its usually good enough (esp. with some cropping). For portraits, certainly competent. Sharp when stopped down and good subject isolation with blurry bkgnd if used at wider apertures and focused close (Eg. head shots).

85mm is quite tight. Very nice for people photography with its combination of working distance and shallow DOF. Close ups of in animate objects can also be done, but since it does not focus as close as the 50mm, smaller objects will be harder. As you already know, its certainly good for portraits. Just note that indoors, using this FL will be hard due tot he min focus distance.

One way to get a bit closer for close-ups would be to include an inexpensive extension tube (even a 25mm section) in you camera bag at all times.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 9th August 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Many tout the virtues of prime lenses, big aperture, and available light photography, etc. That's all good but as mentioned earlier, I suggest you get yourself a good normal zoom. 18-55 if you're on limited budget, or 17-55 if you want to splurge a bit.

If you really, really must, then the 50 f/1.8 is a good start.

was debating between these two lenses just yesterday and finally settled for the 50mm f1.4. what did it for me, apart from the above facts pointed out by many here, is also the fact that the 50mm has a much shorter min focus distance as compared to the 85mm. plus i needed the extra stops for low light indoor shooting. but then again, i am only shooting my baby girl so i guess my purposes are very different from yours.

for general walkabout, i still have my zoom lens to do the job. like others here, i would also recommend you get zoom as well. i note you like to do landscape as well so perhaps i could recommend my tokina 16-50mm f2.8. check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dookiedookdook View Post
    Hi all, I'm pretty fresh to photography ( a few months into this). Looking for a comfortable and versatile prime lens to last me some time before i consider a upgrade. I'm looking at both the canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. I'm using a canon 50d

I'm more into portrait and landscape photography, but I'm hoping for this lens to be something I can use for more as a walk around lens for still life, street scenes and tight close up portraits. Saw some samples of both lens online but still can't decide.

Also, I need some help understanding the follow spec details:

Construction (groups elements) 6-7 7-9
    No. of Diaphragm Blades 8 8
    Drive System Ring-type USM Ring-type USM

Do advise me on which to choose over pros/cons. thanks in advance!!!
    exactly same question has been ask here before..

50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8

50mm F1.4 or 85mm 1.8

50mm or 85mm

85mm f1.8 vs 50mm f1.4

Difference between 50mm f1.8 and f1.4

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 or EF 85mm f1.8

50mm f/1.8 or f1.4?

50mm f:1.4; f:1.8 or 85mm f:1.8 for Hokkaido

What would you do if you've a 50mm 1.4 and 1.8?

50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8???

50mm f1.4 OR 80mm f1.8

50mm F1.4 vs 85mm F1.8

50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8?

50mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.8

If you need more info, Google with the same keywords, you able to find all the discussions, reviews on the same topic from all over the world, it will take awhile for you to finish reading them, nevertheless, the final decision is still base on your usuage, your preference, and your budget.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

To cut to the chase,

If u r using crop body, 35mm or 50mm would be good, 85mm is way too tight for general use.

If u r using FF, 50 would be quite great. Wide engh for general yet tight engh for general portrait.

But that's me
    Playing with M43.