View Poll Results: What to do after graduation?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pursue a degree in Australia/Canada/USA.

9 30.00%
  • Look for a job that I like and start working full-time. Get some money first.

14 46.67%
  • Work free-lance, see where my strengths are and take it easy first.

2 6.67%
  • Get new skills like learn driving, learn a new language, brush up my PS skills etc.

5 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do after graduation?

Default What to do after graduation?

Hey folks,
    After three years, I am finally graduating and getting my diploma this coming June.

But because I am stepping into another stage of my life, I am rather confused with what I want or should do, at least within the next six months.

I will truly appreciate any kind of advice from the lao jiao out there. I am still very much a green horn in the dog-eat-dog world out there.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
    -Michelle-

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    Hey folks,
    After three years, I am finally graduating and getting my diploma this coming June.

But because I am stepping into another stage of my life, I am rather confused with what I want or should do, at least within the next six months.

I will truly appreciate any kind of advice from the lao jiao out there. I am still very much a green horn in the dog-eat-dog world out there.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    It depends. If your financial ability allows, you SHOULD continue your studies. Either enrol in local unis or oversea ones.

If not, then you really have to 'face the world'. Even if it's dog-eat-dog, I guess you really don't have a choice. Spend some time thinking of what you intend to do, where does your interest lies, and then proceed to find your dream job. Remember, always look for a job which you enjoy doing, not a job which fetches you good money. If you can find one that matches both, that's the best!

BTW, which poly and which faculty are you in?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

What course did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGoi
    What course did you do?
    Hey AdamGoi,
    I studied both film and computer graphics (CG). But I specialized film production and producing in my final year. I also studied photography, although it is not a core stream, sadly.

Haha... nothing to be envy about. Singapore job market darn freaking small. A lot of competition.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

right now u should aim for a degree first.

its a good thign u dont need to serve 2nhalf years in army and put up with livign as a no-life-government-issued-zombified-combat-fighting machine AND having no time AND no money AND a hell lot of mental/physical hazards

Hey AdamGoi,
    I studied both film and computer graphics (CG). But I specialized film production and producing in my final year. I also studied photography, although it is not a core stream, sadly.

Haha... nothing to be envy about. Singapore job market darn freaking small. A lot of competition.

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    If you are still keen in film/tv production, you may want to join the TV Stations. A good one would be ESPN at Lor Chuan. Heard they are look for part-time production Asst. You can work there part-time and if you like it and when they need full-time staff, you can then become their perm staff. Their work culture is quite good. However, if you are looking into producing, you must be well-informed about sports news and updates.

If u have the means to further your studies, that would be a better option coz from experience, I still prefer school than work. If you wanna do photography, it is considered "fine arts" and I heard there is a college in New York which is rather good.

Dun worry, there is always competition & politics every where but most importantly, stick to your principles and you will be fine. However, as change is a constant, adapting to change is something which you must learn when you are out in the society.

Dun worry, be happy. Everything will be just fine.

Cheerio,
    B

Hey folks,

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    You know it's a dog eat dog world out there so why go there? Start a photo-cum print stall in Miami beach.

gaining experience is probably the priortiy here, unless you are able to further your studies.

just go into a job with the concept that you will definitely learn something. with that kind of mindset, you probably wouldn't be so choosy with pay, benefits and other teeny stuff that people make a mole hill out of...

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    You know it's a dog eat dog world out there so why go there? Start a photo-cum print stall in Miami beach.
    Naw, a hot dog stand would be more appropriate. It's still dog-eat-dog, whether in Miami or Singapore.

Seriously, consider getting a degree. The reality is that for every John Clang and Sim Wong Hoo, there are thousands of non-degree-holder heartlanders toiling away for peanuts, with no job security.

If you're interested in film-making (and CG is an essential part of that nowadays), then I would suggest enrolling in an American college which has such a course. My impression is that they are still the industry leaders in this area, and you will get to network with the Steven Spielbergs of the future. That's a very important part of getting that big break.

yo mich,

if u can afford it, go further ur studies dude.....
    seriously, it would come in useful
    and at this age, its like the best time to do it,.. and if u can do it wif ur frens, all the better i say

but if theres no moolah up the tree, i guess the next logical thing would be to work,
    or be a globe trotter wif money blessings from ur parents!

hahaha
    if ur not sure wat u like to do, pick any job that might seem interesting to u
    but since ur from fsv, try getting something in the media line.
    starting out is always gonna be a bitch, trust me,.. but if u hang in there, and set a direction, its half the battle won.

if u were a guy, its somewhat ezier, coz theres always idiot companies looking out fer fresh male meat to start out as junior grips wif low pays in the industry.
    but fer girls, most of the positions are in the preproduction or post production side, (in SG).....
    there are some production girl positions like 1st, 2nd, 3rd AD, wardrobe, makeup, PA, AP, conti,
    but its much much much harder fer a girl(in SG) to get in the technical crew side of production.

if u are really serious of being in this industry, getting to know contacts is the best thing....
    try to start building ur network of contacts rite now....
    more ppl u know in the industry, the better oppurtunity ull have
    find out which area u like doing as well

i know of many fsv graduates that change lines or do other things bcoz when they start working in the industry, its totally different from how it is from being in fsv. its much much more harsher,... and if u can take stick it up fer 2 - 3 years, i would say you would have more or less have a firm feet; and if u feel u hate the sh1t ur doing after those 2-3 years, then u know what choices u would have then

or u could further ur studies. get a degree or further and come back to teach in fsv

peace babe
    Last edited by thegroon; 12th May 2004 at 01:31 PM.

Just, want to thanks everyone, especially the one who started the thread.
    I get some ideas of what to do. Well, I'm also a student, but major in marketing.
    Well, don't know why working people often think that study is more fun than work, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentt_whale
    Just, want to thanks everyone, especially the one who started the thread.
    I get some ideas of what to do. Well, I'm also a student, but major in marketing.
    Well, don't know why working people often think that study is more fun than work, am I right?
    Because as a student in general you only face presure from school work, but as a working adult, you are faced with office politics, peer pressure, boss pressure, work pressure, etc...

Working life is like having your final exam every day, non-stop.

I personally think you SHOULD NOT pursue for further studies... The best choice is to get field experience for few years before continuing the studies.. To management here, a guy with a Masters and no experience is a good as a guy with a Bachelor and good experience...
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

there are pros and cons to this qns..

my friends who left right after graduation for US/UK/Aus came back here and had difficulty finding jobs. they didn't come back during the right time. the job situation was bad. some of them even left and went back to further their studies.

some got lucky though, because of the experience gained during industrial attachment.. armed with their degrees, they found fantastic jobs!

whereas those who remained here, found jobs and were happy gaining their work experience. but their career became stagnant as they didn't have futher studies..

some found good bosses.. whom allowed them to further their studies, and upon graduating from uni, came back to work for the same bosses again..

choose your path carefully...

i chose to gain working experience while doing a part time degree.. can be quite hilarious when you see those uni grads doing stupid stuff due to a lack of experience..
    Last edited by s_wrx; 13th May 2004 at 09:59 AM.

OT ... maybe going army isn't too bad after all. I mean at least it gave us all another 2 and a half years to think about what we want to do.

Kekek .. Sorry Michelle , i don't have an answer to your question cos i'm still looking for mine. But i decided (after army) to carry on with a degree, of course with my parent's support. Look at your restrictions and limitations then with options laid out before you choose, and here's a quote that helped me.

" You make small decisions with your head and big ones with your heart."

Be a farmer in Malaysia, stay close to the sea.

hi guys, i am graduating from NP this june also.. next time on my calender is NS.... have thoughts of having a career in the Army.... will see how things goes... till then hope to snap more pictures..

Hey AdamGoi,

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    Hi Michelle,

I think it would be good to try and get a degree after the diploma. While it is true that experience counts, the degree (provided that you are not financially tight in pursuing your degree), adds better credibility to what you are studying, especially in film. As for career, try going overseas as the prospect out of Singapore is much better.

if you are confused...take some time off and think...tt's y i suggest freelancing....its better to spend a year thinking then to waste a lifetime fretting....

anyway freelancing on wat??? photography...as long as its a part time thing tt allows you to enjoy and think stresslessly tt'ld be fine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast