Thread: Lost Interested... Don't know what to shoot.

Default Lost Interested... Don't know what to shoot.

A few weeks ago, I went for a portrait group shoot organised by fellow CSer. It was the third time I go for such group shoot. Half way through the shoot, I got bored, every time its the same. No WOW factor in my images, just pretty gals.... I stop shooting after that session.

Any suggestion? Could be due to work pressure, i lost my interest. I've been looking for ideas and my surrounding whenever I am off work. But seems like there's nothing new.

What do you guys do when this happen?

most likely you have been shooting alot of photographs that seriously lack cotent pick up a theme in your life that you think is important, for a start if you think you feel frustrated , try to express it in photography, what do you think your feeling looks like, look out for that image and capture it in the way you think conveys your feelings the best

Deregistered

want to try sports?

yaoxing and i are into it

Try explore another area of photography e.g nature or macro which is very popular here for the time being. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by maxkcyeo
    A few weeks ago, I went for a portrait group shoot organised by fellow CSer. It was the third time I go for such group shoot. Half way through the shoot, I got bored, every time its the same. No WOW factor in my images, just pretty gals.... I stop shooting after that session.

Any suggestion? Could be due to work pressure, i lost my interest. I've been looking for ideas and my surrounding whenever I am off work. But seems like there's nothing new.

Hey man,
    I also get that kind of feeling whenever I have been to too many film shoots, everything gets kinda numb for me.

Don't know for you but a trip to my school library work wonders for me. It is a fabulous place to get ideas and sort out all your thoughts for the day. Furthermore, it's air-conditioned and quiet so nobody will disturb you there. Just for that period of time, switch off your mobile to give some time for yourself.

Perhaps try your hands on other areas of photography, like nature or street photography. People tend to take things for granted for the things around them. Walk around, take a deep breath. I tried this for myself and found out people with different emotions will notice different things even when walking along the same road.

Hope I haven't confused you even further.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

. No WOW factor in my images, just pretty gals.... I stop shooting after that session.

lolzz u mean u actually get tired of shooting pics of pretty girls?

one way out is to "regress": what was your fave pasttime in childhood?what did u want/love to do most? whatr were your wildest dreams then?what did u really badly wanted to do back then but was somehow unable to do? that should work as a source of photo inspiration for u now. for me, its..well, everything that i am doing now...such that i cant make up my mind which of these so many themes to choose to do a shoot on anyway such mental blocks are only temporary..sooner or laetr u the ideas will flow in again

Shoot with an objective. See whether your picture tell what you wanna say.
    Forget about good weather. Just imagine you are paid to do an assignment, you have little choice to wait for perfect lighting and time. Are you about to tell what you want to say with your work after the session? If you can't you can always do a return trip to improve that you want to tell.

experiment and have fun with your camera. don't worry so much about achieving technical perfection yet, keep revisiting your subjects and try to see and photograph them with new angles and perspectives. eventually, the *wow* will come...
    Last edited by zaren; 11th May 2004 at 10:31 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

hmmm...streets are fun..but tiring...portraits are ok...landscapes are exciting but lacking in singapore....try something new...like travel to bring back the spark??

It possibly means you don't like to shoot portraiture (whether of pretty girls of not is secondary), so like the others said, try other types of photography (street, nature, landscape/cityscape, product/still life, etc)

Regards
    CK

try this simple workflow

See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Johnny, you must be VERY free right?

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    try this simple workflow

Try asking a friend to be your model, and bring along another friend to take photos with you. That way, if you feel bored, you can still have fun with your friends. I did just that last week.
    An added bonus will be since the model is your friend (preferably good friend) you might feel more compelled to produce better photos for her/him

If that still fails, just take a break for a while lor, maybe it will return to you after sometime.

Thanks for the EOS 300 by the way, I'm hooked on it now

Cheers

I belive this is a hobby for you. Rite?

The good thing about hobby is that you can stop doing it as and when you like.

Just stop for a while.. Dun have to be shooting everyday or even every week for that matter. Why force yourself to shoot? There is no need to.

After a while of break, you may come back and realise you have new vision.

There is so many that have "quit" and come back. Some just stopped at the thought at "quitting". Some quit and found another hobby that satisfied his soul.

For reference, try searching for "quit photography" under <General Dicussion> . You will find some familar name that ovecome this.

try this simple workflow

try this simple workflow

hmm....may be u can include buy/sell section too

Get another hobby. Why force yourself? Group shooting of pretty models must be the dumbest thing ever conceived by the way. Zero effort and zero imagination. I am not suprised you get bored. I would have killed myself.

ohh yeah.. and the Kopitiam section.

Anyway, enuf of OT:

max, drop your camera, keep it in your drybox, lock it up and throw away the key. Then go out and visualise all the potential shots you can have but only with your mind. When you feel inspired once again, you will find the urgency to go find that lost key and take your camera out again.

You can force yourself into photography but it will be ugly (pun intended)

Think about it and sleep it off