Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain in shoulder.

Default Re: Pain in shoulder.

do you use all lenses when you bring your SOP set out?

Blog Entries

Simple solution from an old man, I don't bring everything that I own.
    Buy a smaller bag (mine is domke f3x) and restrict yourself to things that you will use only. Normally for me is camera 1 lens attached and flash. Tripod only when needed.

A full week's rest will certainly reduce or eliminate the sore.

It's a trade off; sling or shoulder bag with its ease of access vs the relative comfort of backpacks but restricted access (even those with side access).

Rest well.

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    do you use all lenses when you bring your SOP set out?
    Actually I use almost all of it from time to time when going out. Maybe except the third CF card

Personally i tried shoulder bags and it was real bad.
    My next and shoulder were aching and bcos of that i took less photo due to fatigue.

I try to minimise the number of lens that i bring and i try to change my lens less often.
    Just make do with what you have on at the particular moment.
    easy to say but tough to decide haha...
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Actually I use almost all of it from time to time when going out. Maybe except the third CF card
    maybe can get a trolley bag or backpack

Don't like Lowepro types which screams that you can carrying a camera bag where ever you go. Crumpler more stealth to me.
    There are other brands with d-rings and tons of comfortable straps to choose. As Zac08 nicely put it for crumpler..... smells kiddo to me! kidding!

I never use crumpler simply because it has heavy padding which doesnt maximise space. Btw, enjoy your pain if you think your gear is heavy..... cos it is not. And is it necessary to carry lappy all the time?

Talking Re: Pain in shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    There are other brands with d-rings and tons of comfortable straps to choose. As Zac08 nicely put it for crumpler..... smells kiddo to me! kidding!

I never use crumpler simply because it has heavy padding which doesnt maximise space. Btw, enjoy your pain if you think your gear is heavy..... cos it is not. And is it necessary to carry lappy all the time?
    You smell like sadist. Does other straps matters cause my crumpler shoulder pad is quite big and thick for comfort already. Anyway, I am quite cured and going for fireworks.

About the laptop, it is to do some processing and surfing during breaktime.

You smell like sadist. Anyway, I am quite cured and going for fireworks.
    Good that you are cured. Enjoy the pain of photography!

It does happen, and it's not good. Shoulder bags tend to do that and if you're really struggling with the weight, you could be hurting your other muscles as well (such as lower back).

Switch to a different type of bag like backpack.

Some photographers do carry heavy shoulder bags, but they either set in down somewhere secure, or get an assistant to carry the bag for them.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

You smell like sadist. Does other straps matters cause my crumpler shoulder pad is quite big and thick for comfort already. Anyway, I am quite cured and going for fireworks.

Certain straps do have better padding and those slightly stretchy ones may alleviate some pain too, or mebbe it's a mentality feeling.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Certain straps do have better padding and those slightly stretchy ones may alleviate some pain too, or mebbe it's a mentality feeling.
    I still think clever management of your load is best for your body!

This seems like a luxury that your body probably doesn't need for the moment if it is to make a decent recovery from the soreness. Maybe an iPad or a similar device would be better for the purpose of breaktime surfing (if you have cash to splash). It would greatly reduce the weight of your bag, unless your laptop is a Macbook Air. Alternatively, use a web-enabled phone that allows you to surf the net on the move.

If you don't have urgent deadlines to meet in terms of processing your photos, then I say leave the computer at home.

Not sure how old you are but if you are in the 50s, it might be caused by frozen shoulder (五十肩). Frozen shoulder is also known as adhesive capsulitis. It is characterized by pain and decreased motion of the shoulder in all range of direction. The symptoms include shoulder pain initially, followed by stiffness. The pain is usually a dull ache but can be severe and sometimes affects sleep. It is usually over the shoulder area and in the upper arm. The stiffness often affects motion in all direction. Some people cannot lift up their arms. Some people may experience difficulties in combing their hair or scratching their backs because of the stiffness.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

use back pack and waste pouches if need to change lens.

nowadays if i carry my back pack too long my sholder also ache liao....
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

.....might want to consider transfering weight to the waist......not exactly as elegant, but take the loads off your backs.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Simple solution from an old man, I don't bring everything that I own.
    Buy a smaller bag (mine is domke f3x) and restrict yourself to things that you will use only. Normally for me is camera 1 lens attached and flash. Tripod only when needed.
    and i agree with this. i am youngster, but i got spinal bifidal. so i also cannot carry to heavy stuff or else break back. usually i just bring wad i need. which isnt a lot.

450d (very light body)
    17-50mm tammy
    55-250mm

if needed, 430exii

unless i'm going landscappign then i'll lug tripod, tianyas, laptops etc etc. even if i shoot with the 3 eastgear 150ws strobes, i dun carry with its carrying case. i use a luggage bag to fit it in

u can get those pulley bags? then drag like luggage bag if it really hurts

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Not sure how old you are but if you are in the 50s, it might be caused by frozen shoulder (五十肩). Frozen shoulder is also known as adhesive capsulitis. It is characterized by pain and decreased motion of the shoulder in all range of direction. The symptoms include shoulder pain initially, followed by stiffness. The pain is usually a dull ache but can be severe and sometimes affects sleep. It is usually over the shoulder area and in the upper arm. The stiffness often affects motion in all direction. Some people cannot lift up their arms. Some people may experience difficulties in combing their hair or scratching their backs because of the stiffness.
    Doc say that it is mostlikely muscle pain. But it is as you say with the dull ache to stiffness on the shoulder, except it will slowly get worst and worst as it travels from my shoulder to the lower back of my head. After time, it will disappear before you realise it. I have no problem rising my upper arm and scratching my back and it doesn't affect my upper arm, only my shoulder to lower back of my head.

BTW I am only 23
    Last edited by wootsk; 10th August 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Doc say that it is mostlikely muscle pain. But it is as you say with the dull ache to stiffness on the shoulder, except it will slowly get worst and worst as it travels from my shoulder to the lower back of my head. After time, it will disappear before you realise it. I have no problem rising my upper arm and scratching my back and it doesn't affect my upper arm, only my shoulder to lower back of my head.

BTW I am only 23
    Good thing you are young - can recover faster. If it comes back again, try seeing a chiropractor (either Chinese or Western type). They can help you more than your doctor.

Prevention is better than cure though

Rest, recover.

Exercise.
    Last edited by Thedraperyfalls; 11th August 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast