Thread: CF Card Error

Default CF Card Error

I was shooting XMM today and half way thru, my cam read CHA. = card error .
    I try play back the photos i shot but cannot see liao..
    At home , use card reader also cannot detect CF card ....now all my photos gone ??

Anyone can help or kenna such thing before ?

Default Re: CF Card Error

You're on Nikon I suppose?

click here:
    http://************/37er3wk
    Alpha

Take out n reinsert the cf out of the cam still read CHA
    God help me I Dunn wan lose my pics

Use Sandisk recovery software. It can help you recover lost images.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

the software rescue pro cant read my card ........

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    the software rescue pro cant read my card ........
    Sheesh... mebbe you can look at another program.

Getback data
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

if you can't read your card -

1) try another computer
    2) try another card reader

if still cannot, then i think you need to seek professional help.

I once bought a cf card from eBay , darn cheap. But turns out that it's a low quality fake. I also experienced the same thing. So if your card is like mine, then most prob your photos are all gone.....

I had this issue when a battery died when shooting Video on my 5DII.

The card would not be recognised on any card readers or in the camera.

I used the SanDisk recovery utility that came with the card and had no luck as PC could not read the card.

After lots of googling, I found that if you format the card it makes it readable again and you can proceed with the data recovery using SanDisk or similar.

NOTE: Format the card in your camera NOT in your computer (Techie explaination below)

When you format your card in the camera it only overwrites the file indices that point to the actual files. This tells whatever is writing to the card that there are no files present and that the card is empty, however the files are still there.
    You can do this in your PC but make sure you select "Quick Format" not full format (full format overwrites the entire card not just the file index).

Hope this helps and good luck with the recovery.

P.S. Only about 60% of my files recovered were actually readable. I performed a full format of the card after I had recovered my files and then formated in camera before I used it again. No issues since the incident a couple of months ago. I now offload images and video as soon as I can to minimise any risk of losing images again.

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    I once bought a cf card from eBay , darn cheap. But turns out that it's a low quality fake. I also experienced the same thing. So if your card is like mine, then most prob your photos are all gone.....
    At times, fake card may crash easily..
    Same goes for thumbdrives (I had a few experiences).

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomHere View Post
    I had this issue when a battery died when shooting Video on my 5DII.

The card would not be recognised on any card readers or in the camera.

I used the SanDisk recovery utility that came with the card and had no luck as PC could not read the card.

After lots of googling, I found that if you format the card it makes it readable again and you can proceed with the data recovery using SanDisk or similar.

NOTE: Format the card in your camera NOT in your computer (Techie explaination below)

When you format your card in the camera it only overwrites the file indices that point to the actual files. This tells whatever is writing to the card that there are no files present and that the card is empty, however the files are still there.
    You can do this in your PC but make sure you select "Quick Format" not full format (full format overwrites the entire card not just the file index).

Hope this helps and good luck with the recovery.

P.S. Only about 60% of my files recovered were actually readable. I performed a full format of the card after I had recovered my files and then formated in camera before I used it again. No issues since the incident a couple of months ago. I now offload images and video as soon as I can to minimise any risk of losing images again.
    I just had a CF card corruption, could not read the card on both camera and PC, I almost going to bang my head against the wall for losing all my pics. This is by far the most effective solution proposed, at least to me.

Thank you sir, you have just saved me.

Blog Entries

last option - shoot the XMM again ........

but seriously, good luck on the recovery of your files ..... keep us posted on how it goes ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 22nd December 2010 at 05:10 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Andy, may I ask which brand of CF card you are using?

Had the same CHR on my nikon. Use non lubricant contact cleaner. on the CF socket pins. and have not have any problem so far. If problem persist...verified with another CF card. Never remove out the card when the cam is on , or when the camera is transfering date to card (the green dot) as it may corrupt the data.

As for me. i do put all the eggs in one basket.... and don't fill up the entire card... should the card give up?!! i don't loose many.

Sent it to the cam shop to service....may need to replace the card reader module etc...

All the best.