Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast

Thread: Intro to Photography for Newbies

yeah. thanks guys! learned alot.
    thanks once again

Glad to meet you guys/gals and hope the info shared are useful to you. I promised some hands on for you guys/gals but I forgot. Paiseh.

Next week my turn bro , after listen to all the comment on today lessons, its going to be one fruitfull trip next week.

Quote Originally Posted by arowana
    Next week my turn bro , after listen to all the comment on today lessons, its going to be one fruitfull trip next week.
    You will not regret attending the session...a must for newbies

Thanks Ziploc and Willy, at least now can see some light on the opposite side instead of clouds...

Kudos to ziploc and Willy for putting in so much effort in this intro for newbies. It was really tough for them to explain and clarify all the basics to us newbies for that two and half hours under the harsh (hot and humid) weather. It is easy being a student but to be the teachers.. I can't imagine man...

It is a good intro; learnt a lot of new things and clarified a few concepts I had on basic photography. A few suggestions though (just trying to be open about it)...

1. To cover 5 pages in 2 hours is not impossible but it really deprived us of hands-on. Maybe could have some practices after each topic first before moving on to the next. E.g. After explaining the concepts of aperture, maybe each of us could have whipped out our cam and try for ourselves to reinforce the concepts (exp useful for those with digital cam).

2. A picture speaks a thousand. It was really useful when ziploc showed us the photos in his books to explain the concepts rather than us having to abstractly visualise in in our mind. So do bring more photos for the class on 22/5! I think they will appreciate even more...

3. Can don't sit along the corridor?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholaslee
    Thanks ziploc and Willy (If I don't remember the name wrongly, ziploc's asst.) for their excellent explanation.
    Oh... one more thng to clarify. Willy is not my "assistant". He is one of Clubsnap's moderator and an old timer here. Many sincere thanks to him for taking up his precious time to come and help us out.

Hi csy,

Thanks for the suggestions. Will do that for the next session. But I think the hot and humid weather is hard to avoid, especially if we need to do the hands on which will be in the open area of the park. Apologies for my fault for lacking hands on for you guys/gals. Hey you guys/gals should have reminded me or raised any issues during the class!
    Last edited by ziploc; 16th May 2004 at 01:47 AM.

in the shadow of the tallest hill in S'pore!

ARGH!!!

just read about this class & cant go next sat cos im celebrating my 21st!!

Any chance of encore telecast, as mediacorp likes to call it?

Ziploc? I'll bring the kopi!

thks ziploc for the lesson.. I gain a lot for the lesson .. cant wait to put it into practice...

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc
    Glad to meet you guys/gals and hope the info shared are useful to you. I promised some hands on for you guys/gals but I forgot. Paiseh.
    Hi all,

Dun have time to login till now. Really special thanks to ziploc and willy for their patience with us newbies...... I know we have that blur look on our face sometimes especially with that "Circle of Confusion" really apt name for it man.

Anyway, I also learnt a lot and is more sure now. The tips on taking night scenes, streaks of lights, waterfall are something that is very useful and good for lazy people like me.

Hmm.....dun forget about the night outing that we mentioned to take those sparkles??? Maybe we can wait for the second class to finish and see who is interested??

Thanks thanks.........

Thank you Ziploc and Willy for taking the time and effort to teach us newbies..

Really appreciated it!

Yes, just let us know when you want to do the night shoot.. We'd be there

You guys & gals are most welcome. And sure, we can do a night shoot outing after the second class is over, so that they can also join in the fun. Will let you all know the details later.

Quote Originally Posted by csy
    1. To cover 5 pages in 2 hours is not impossible but it really deprived us of hands-on. Maybe could have some practices after each topic first before moving on to the next. E.g. After explaining the concepts of aperture, maybe each of us could have whipped out our cam and try for ourselves to reinforce the concepts (exp useful for those with digital cam).
    Hi all, from the above, I assume some notes will be involved. May I know where to find it so I can print and bring on that day? or ziploc will print a few copies for us on that day? (I dun think so right??)

Thanks and cheers

Hi Brandon,

I'll be sending it out shortly to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc
    You guys & gals are most welcome. And sure, we can do a night shoot outing after the second class is over, so that they can also join in the fun. Will let you all know the details later.
    Yah, Vamptress can be the model playing with the sparkles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Hi all, from the above, I assume some notes will be involved. May I know where to find it so I can print and bring on that day? or ziploc will print a few copies for us on that day? (I dun think so right??)

Thanks and cheers
    Hi Brandon,

Some of you in the 2nd class can volunteer to print out the notes lor. Especially those whose office can print for free.........

And remember to cut the circle of confusion............it's easier to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by icer
    And remember to cut the circle of confusion............it's easier to understand.
    The wheel in the notes is called a DOF wheel... not circle of confusion. Circle of confusion refers to the "blurness of the focus" at places that are out of the plane in focus. Imagine a tiny white dot suspended in a 3D space. When you focus your camera onto this spot, if we have other spots in front or behind the focusing point, they will apear no longer as a spot but become a circle; the size of these circles are smaller when closer to the point of focus and larger when farther away. The circle is called "circle of confusion" (CoC) as the lens can no longer clearly resolve the spots as a tiny point. DOF is defined based on the acceptable level on the size of the CoC which is considered "clear" or "in focus", and the CoC value depends on the film format (or sensor size).

Here is a good article to read if you like to know more about the details.

For other Clubsnappers who are interested in making your own DOF wheel, you can download the free software from this excellent site. Please note that you'll need to set the value of the CoC when using the DOFMater software depending on the camera you use.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ziploc; 17th May 2004 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icer
    Yah, Vamptress can be the model playing with the sparkles!!
    LOL! Dun wan to spoil their pic lah.. Wait they see pontianak holdin sparklers.. keh keh keh keh

And it's called the Circle of Icer's Confusion.. hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by VampTreSS
    And it's called the Circle of Icer's Confusion.. hehehehehe
    or circle in confuse Icer..

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast