Thread: Recommendation for external HDD

Default Recommendation for external HDD

Hi,

My internal HDD is filling up fast with all the photos. Now thinking of getting an external HDD for convenient porting around my PCs as home PCs are not network yet.

Thinking of getting the Maxtor 200GB 7200rpm HDD. Anyone has any comment or feedback if this is worth ? I read in Hardwarezone forum some users had problems with this HDD.

I checked in SLS the other day and was quoted ~S$300+. The casing has a huge fan

Appreciate if you could share your experience or feedback

My recommendation for backing up the photos is to get a DVD writer. Nowsaday DVD writer is not expensive and a cheap one can get from $199 to $250. Each 4x R- DVD media costs abt $2.60 to $3 for 4.7 Gig of data is really value for money. Try to backup 2 copies if you really worry media breakdown.

Just my 2 cents worth
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

I just bought that drive - the OneTouch one right?

So far had no problems with it. It's fast and extremely quiet.
    But I pay a lot more than $300+ for it - where did you see it at that price?

Lightbulb

If you can pay $300, why not get a dvd-writer to backup? 200GB for working on video and audio may be is needed. But just photos.....

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    I just bought that drive - the OneTouch one right?

So far had no problems with it. It's fast and extremely quiet.
    But I pay a lot more than $300+ for it - where did you see it at that price?
    Hi Royce,

Skylet at SLS is selling Maxtor 200GB with a black casing with a huge fan at the bottom for S$300+. But the casing is not the original MAXTOR casing. I think you bought the orginal MAXTOR casing one ? I am abit worried about the over heating. But after seeing this casing they are providing, it has a huge fan at the bottom and i hope should be ok ?

Thanks KCBox and Megaweb on the DVD burner recommendation. I thought about it too. But my backup strategy and Disc filing system is really bad ! So I thought the best method is just to copy it to HDD and forget about it. So far to be on the safe side, I stored in 2 separate HDDs and a separate CDs. And the number of CDs are increasing and will be a problem soon