Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Canon CP-E2

  1. #1

    Default Canon CP-E2

    Hi guys is this the only battery pack from canon which can work with the 550ex? Anybody know how does it compare in performance to the quantum ones? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    For one, I would say that the total cost is going to be cheaper than the Quantum Battery 1+. CP-E2 is attached to the external power socket and not into the battery compartment like the Quantum Battery 1+.

    However, if you are thinking of buying higher end models like the Quantum Battery Turbo Z, then I would say that is way much better in performance than the CP-E2.

    Quantum also makes a battery that supplies power to both the camera body as well as the flash. That one is most likely the best Quantum Battery of all, but I would say that is also the most expensive one in the lineup of external battery packs that Quantum produces.

  3. #3

    Default

    hi, I ordered the wrong stuff from the HK mass order, you can save a about 30$ from buying it locally if you want to take over my order...

    email me at rueyloon@36frames.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    Hi guys is this the only battery pack from canon which can work with the 550ex? Anybody know how does it compare in performance to the quantum ones? Thanks.
    I have used both CP-E2 and Quantum battery, but i prefer CP-E2 becos AA batteries are more easily available. You can replace the batteries easily if they spoil, but it will be harder to replace the one in the Quantum.
    Futhermore only with CP-E2, u can then plug to the special socket (near the mount) directly. For Quantum batt, u need to use a dummy battery to connect and becos of the cable that extends out, you need to leave the battery door open. Glad that i never break my battery door when i used the Quantum battery last time

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    heh heh heh.... I would take the CP-E2 coz it's lighter...it's already tiring enough to lug your gears for a day-long event but the quantum, though good, is a killer

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    I have used both CP-E2 and Quantum battery, but i prefer CP-E2 becos AA batteries are more easily available. You can replace the batteries easily if they spoil, but it will be harder to replace the one in the Quantum.
    Futhermore only with CP-E2, u can then plug to the special socket (near the mount) directly. For Quantum batt, u need to use a dummy battery to connect and becos of the cable that extends out, you need to leave the battery door open. Glad that i never break my battery door when i used the Quantum battery last time
    Hi Wai~ Only the Quantum 1+ plugs into the battery compartment of the 550ex.. the Quantum Turbo Z is also able to plug into the special socket (near the mount) directly.

    But the CP-E2 IS a lot lighter.....

  7. #7

    Default Thanks for feedback

    Hi guys thanks for the feedbacks. Guess I will be getting the cp-e2

  8. #8

    Default Rough costs

    btw anybody know the roungh cost of it as well? Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    btw anybody know the roungh cost of it as well? Thanks
    around $200+

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    btw anybody know the roungh cost of it as well? Thanks
    $230

    but i got from HK, $200 only

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hi Wai~ Only the Quantum 1+ plugs into the battery compartment of the 550ex.. the Quantum Turbo Z is also able to plug into the special socket (near the mount) directly.

    But the CP-E2 IS a lot lighter.....
    ya hor the cable look something like this, similar to CP-E2 that can plug to the special socket directly


    the one i use last time was Quantum 1+ , the cable look like this, got a set of dummy battery on one end


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    The CP-E2 is more or less a $200 AA battery holder with a wire sticking out, and a tripod mount with a screw. i almost got one but couldn't get over the fact that it was just a $200 ... oh, i already described it - see preceding sentence. (If it's more than that, ie contains electronics, etc, pls let me know.)

    C'mon, somebody can make a chiong version for $30, right? Eastgear, are you listening?

    The other reason i didn't get it was that when attached to the base of the camera, i couldn't reach the vertical grip controls properly, and i didn't want to tether something from belt to flash. i think the quantum seems more justified in price, though i do agree that AAs are much much more convenient and ecomonical.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    The CP-E2 is more or less a $200 AA battery holder with a wire sticking out, and a tripod mount with a screw. i almost got one but couldn't get over the fact that it was just a $200 ... oh, i already described it - see preceding sentence. (If it's more than that, ie contains electronics, etc, pls let me know.)

    C'mon, somebody can make a chiong version for $30, right? Eastgear, are you listening?
    ya lor....just an empty box with some connection can cost so much...when i am free i am going to open it up to see what is inside

    but i dun think it is so easily, or else we will alredy see a lot of OEM one in the market.

    read somewhere that it produces over 300V in order to charge the cap in the flash directly, so if u DIY and the Voltage is not consistent or too high/low, the cap explode how, somemore the 550EX cost so much, i dun want to risk it by using DIY battery pack

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    ya hor the cable look something like this, similar to CP-E2 that can plug to the special socket directly


    the one i use last time was Quantum 1+ , the cable look like this, got a set of dummy battery on one end

    Heh! That's right... Now... what if we just stick the turbo z's cable to the 1+??? Would that work?? If it is then its the best of both worlds.

    I am also using the Quantum 1+. While bulkier and heavier than the CP-E2, I think its recycling time should be better.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Heh! That's right... Now... what if we just stick the turbo z's cable to the 1+??? Would that work?? If it is then its the best of both worlds.

    I am also using the Quantum 1+. While bulkier and heavier than the CP-E2, I think its recycling time should be better.
    i think the connector to the battery not the same leh...u can mod it but dunno if the 1+ is design for that

    cos the special socket is suppose to use by CP-E2 to charge the capacitor directly for faster refresh rate

    if u can simply use that cable for 1+, why quantum still bother to design one that use dummy battery? surly due to some limitation right?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    The CP-E2 is more or less a $200 AA battery holder with a wire sticking out, and a tripod mount with a screw. i almost got one but couldn't get over the fact that it was just a $200 ... oh, i already described it - see preceding sentence. (If it's more than that, ie contains electronics, etc, pls let me know.)

    C'mon, somebody can make a chiong version for $30, right? Eastgear, are you listening?

    The other reason i didn't get it was that when attached to the base of the camera, i couldn't reach the vertical grip controls properly, and i didn't want to tether something from belt to flash. i think the quantum seems more justified in price, though i do agree that AAs are much much more convenient and ecomonical.
    You might be find this article interesting...
    http://www.aljacobs.com/universal_battery_packs.htm

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i think the connector to the battery not the same leh...u can mod it but dunno if the 1+ is design for that

    cos the special socket is suppose to use by CP-E2 to charge the capacitor directly for faster refresh rate

    if u can simply use that cable for 1+, why quantum still bother to design one that use dummy battery? surly due to some limitation right?
    I had the same thoughts... And wondered if its just Quantum wanting us to get the turbo Z by making the cables incompetible. Still the recycling's not too bad so I did not explore further... If I wver find out, I shall share it here.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    BTW, is it ok to leave the batteries inside CP-E2?

  19. #19

    Default

    there's another option from Canon... the Transistor Pack E

    http://www.adorama.com/CATPE.html

  20. #20

    Default Thanks

    Hey guys thanks a bunch again for all the information and links. Will probably get it when the stock arrives. Checked with alan phots just now and they were out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •