Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon CP-E2

Default Canon CP-E2

Hi guys is this the only battery pack from canon which can work with the 550ex? Anybody know how does it compare in performance to the quantum ones? Thanks.

For one, I would say that the total cost is going to be cheaper than the Quantum Battery 1+. CP-E2 is attached to the external power socket and not into the battery compartment like the Quantum Battery 1+.

However, if you are thinking of buying higher end models like the Quantum Battery Turbo Z, then I would say that is way much better in performance than the CP-E2.

Quantum also makes a battery that supplies power to both the camera body as well as the flash. That one is most likely the best Quantum Battery of all, but I would say that is also the most expensive one in the lineup of external battery packs that Quantum produces.

hi, I ordered the wrong stuff from the HK mass order, you can save a about 30$ from buying it locally if you want to take over my order...

email me at rueyloon@36frames.com

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    Hi guys is this the only battery pack from canon which can work with the 550ex? Anybody know how does it compare in performance to the quantum ones? Thanks.
    I have used both CP-E2 and Quantum battery, but i prefer CP-E2 becos AA batteries are more easily available. You can replace the batteries easily if they spoil, but it will be harder to replace the one in the Quantum.
    Futhermore only with CP-E2, u can then plug to the special socket (near the mount) directly. For Quantum batt, u need to use a dummy battery to connect and becos of the cable that extends out, you need to leave the battery door open. Glad that i never break my battery door when i used the Quantum battery last time

heh heh heh.... I would take the CP-E2 coz it's lighter...it's already tiring enough to lug your gears for a day-long event but the quantum, though good, is a killer

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    I have used both CP-E2 and Quantum battery, but i prefer CP-E2 becos AA batteries are more easily available. You can replace the batteries easily if they spoil, but it will be harder to replace the one in the Quantum.
    Futhermore only with CP-E2, u can then plug to the special socket (near the mount) directly. For Quantum batt, u need to use a dummy battery to connect and becos of the cable that extends out, you need to leave the battery door open. Glad that i never break my battery door when i used the Quantum battery last time
    Hi Wai~ Only the Quantum 1+ plugs into the battery compartment of the 550ex.. the Quantum Turbo Z is also able to plug into the special socket (near the mount) directly.

But the CP-E2 IS a lot lighter.....

Default Thanks for feedback

Hi guys thanks for the feedbacks. Guess I will be getting the cp-e2

Default Rough costs

btw anybody know the roungh cost of it as well? Thanks

around $200+

$230

but i got from HK, $200 only

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hi Wai~ Only the Quantum 1+ plugs into the battery compartment of the 550ex.. the Quantum Turbo Z is also able to plug into the special socket (near the mount) directly.

But the CP-E2 IS a lot lighter.....
    ya hor the cable look something like this, similar to CP-E2 that can plug to the special socket directly

the one i use last time was Quantum 1+ , the cable look like this, got a set of dummy battery on one end

The CP-E2 is more or less a $200 AA battery holder with a wire sticking out, and a tripod mount with a screw. i almost got one but couldn't get over the fact that it was just a $200 ... oh, i already described it - see preceding sentence. (If it's more than that, ie contains electronics, etc, pls let me know.)

C'mon, somebody can make a chiong version for $30, right? Eastgear, are you listening?

The other reason i didn't get it was that when attached to the base of the camera, i couldn't reach the vertical grip controls properly, and i didn't want to tether something from belt to flash. i think the quantum seems more justified in price, though i do agree that AAs are much much more convenient and ecomonical.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    The CP-E2 is more or less a $200 AA battery holder with a wire sticking out, and a tripod mount with a screw. i almost got one but couldn't get over the fact that it was just a $200 ... oh, i already described it - see preceding sentence. (If it's more than that, ie contains electronics, etc, pls let me know.)

C'mon, somebody can make a chiong version for $30, right? Eastgear, are you listening?
    ya lor....just an empty box with some connection can cost so much...when i am free i am going to open it up to see what is inside

but i dun think it is so easily, or else we will alredy see a lot of OEM one in the market.

read somewhere that it produces over 300V in order to charge the cap in the flash directly, so if u DIY and the Voltage is not consistent or too high/low, the cap explode how, somemore the 550EX cost so much, i dun want to risk it by using DIY battery pack

ya hor the cable look something like this, similar to CP-E2 that can plug to the special socket directly

the one i use last time was Quantum 1+ , the cable look like this, got a set of dummy battery on one end

Heh! That's right... Now... what if we just stick the turbo z's cable to the 1+??? Would that work?? If it is then its the best of both worlds.

I am also using the Quantum 1+. While bulkier and heavier than the CP-E2, I think its recycling time should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Heh! That's right... Now... what if we just stick the turbo z's cable to the 1+??? Would that work?? If it is then its the best of both worlds.

I am also using the Quantum 1+. While bulkier and heavier than the CP-E2, I think its recycling time should be better.
    i think the connector to the battery not the same leh...u can mod it but dunno if the 1+ is design for that

cos the special socket is suppose to use by CP-E2 to charge the capacitor directly for faster refresh rate

if u can simply use that cable for 1+, why quantum still bother to design one that use dummy battery? surly due to some limitation right?

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100

The other reason i didn't get it was that when attached to the base of the camera, i couldn't reach the vertical grip controls properly, and i didn't want to tether something from belt to flash. i think the quantum seems more justified in price, though i do agree that AAs are much much more convenient and ecomonical.
    You might be find this article interesting...
    http://www.aljacobs.com/universal_battery_packs.htm

i think the connector to the battery not the same leh...u can mod it but dunno if the 1+ is design for that

cos the special socket is suppose to use by CP-E2 to charge the capacitor directly for faster refresh rate

if u can simply use that cable for 1+, why quantum still bother to design one that use dummy battery? surly due to some limitation right?
    I had the same thoughts... And wondered if its just Quantum wanting us to get the turbo Z by making the cables incompetible. Still the recycling's not too bad so I did not explore further... If I wver find out, I shall share it here.

BTW, is it ok to leave the batteries inside CP-E2?

there's another option from Canon... the Transistor Pack E

http://www.adorama.com/CATPE.html

Default Thanks

Hey guys thanks a bunch again for all the information and links. Will probably get it when the stock arrives. Checked with alan phots just now and they were out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast