Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Lens Hood

  1. #1

    Default Lens Hood

    Hey CSers! I recently got a lens hood for my 58mm kit lens, but it keeps dropping off from the filter's screw. I need some help to make it stable again, as it keeps dropping off, and it is starting to get on my nerves!

    Also can anyone kindly advise me how a lens hood should be properly placed? as it seems when I take some photos, there will be some black parts on the photo which has been covered up by the hood. So sorry for the newbie questions...thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by JVlarcus View Post
    Hey CSers! I recently got a lens hood for my 58mm kit lens, but it keeps dropping off from the filter's screw. I need some help to make it stable again, as it keeps dropping off, and it is starting to get on my nerves!

    Also can anyone kindly advise me how a lens hood should be properly placed? as it seems when I take some photos, there will be some black parts on the photo which has been covered up by the hood. So sorry for the newbie questions...thanks!
    Did you get the right size? Some lens hood are screwed on, some clipped on & some twist & turn to tighten.
    As for the black parts, its called vignetting. That means its the wrong hood for your lens. You should test it at 18mm, if vignetting does not show, then its the right one, & if it shows @18mm, its the wrong one. Then you have to get one that is thinner
    Take the shot!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Did you get the right size? Some lens hood are screwed on, some clipped on & some twist & turn to tighten.
    As for the black parts, its called vignetting. That means its the wrong hood for your lens. You should test it at 18mm, if vignetting does not show, then its the right one, & if it shows @18mm, its the wrong one. Then you have to get one that is thinner

    Yeah it should be the right size? I bought it from Far east plaza, and the auntie told me it would definitely fit my kit lens as I had told her the model and what kind of lens I was usng. The hood is screwed on, but I guess it maybe my lens filter which has been kinda abused by frequently taking on and off the Lens cover which kind of made the screw lose? So should I try any other lens hood as it gives vignetting? I'm using a Canon EF - S 18-55 IS which is the kit lens. Is there any reputable shops which I could go to, to get a properly fitted lens hood?

  4. #4
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    I hope you didn't get the petal hood, because for your kit lens, its a very shallow filter.

    This will help better illustrate.



    The EW-60C from Canon is the right hood for your 18-55mm IS lens.

    Anything other than this, will result in vignetting, because your lens has a focal range of a wide angle and a standard zoom.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    show us a photo of how the lens hood be attach to the lens, taken by hand phone also can.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by JVlarcus View Post
    I bought it from Far east plaza, and the auntie told me it would definitely fit my kit lens as I had told her the model and what kind of lens I was usng.
    Rule #1: Do your homework. Do not trust aunties or sales men. They want to sell, not educating you for free.
    There is a list of reputable shops in the price guide section and also in consumer corner.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Member YuccaTheFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hidden beneath the viewfinder
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    I think you got conned by the auntie, the original 18-55 hood would not vignette

  8. #8
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    its okie, don't worry about the getting cheated part.. people who are usually clueless tend to buy from camera shops that are "well-known"...

    but yes, show us some pics of it, maybe we can see whether its the right one, or how to attach it...

    ______________________________________________
    enzeru21 Canon 500D EFS 17-85mm IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  9. #9
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    I hope you didn't get the petal hood, because for your kit lens, its a very shallow filter.

    This will help better illustrate.



    The EW-60C from Canon is the right hood for your 18-55mm IS lens.

    Anything other than this, will result in vignetting, because your lens has a focal range of a wide angle and a standard zoom.
    Think TS having seen that may have realized he's bought the wrong hood, now wondering how to let go of it ... But all these are pure conjecture, only he can say whether he bought the right one or not. Some just 'aeroplane' and don't bother to update or thank others for their time ...
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    I hope you didn't get the petal hood, because for your kit lens, its a very shallow filter.

    This will help better illustrate.



    The EW-60C from Canon is the right hood for your 18-55mm IS lens.

    Anything other than this, will result in vignetting, because your lens has a focal range of a wide angle and a standard zoom.
    I got the petal hood. I guess I got cheated by the auntie.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    show us a photo of how the lens hood be attach to the lens, taken by hand phone also can.
    Okay. Will post a pict. of it later in the afternoon.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Rule #1: Do your homework. Do not trust aunties or sales men. They want to sell, not educating you for free.
    There is a list of reputable shops in the price guide section and also in consumer corner.
    I guess I got excited about getting some camera accessories that I rushed into getting this lens hood without doing my homework is there anyway to let go of this lens hood? will anybody buy?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by YuccaTheFlower View Post
    I think you got conned by the auntie, the original 18-55 hood would not vignette
    Yeah...I believe I have been conned by the auntie into buying, but the few camera shops which I went to also offered the same lens hood(Same brand/size)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    its okie, don't worry about the getting cheated part.. people who are usually clueless tend to buy from camera shops that are "well-known"...

    but yes, show us some pics of it, maybe we can see whether its the right one, or how to attach it...
    So the shops at Far east aren't that 'reputable'? damn emo now....haha guess will have to take it as a pinch of salt and learn my lesson from it

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Think TS having seen that may have realized he's bought the wrong hood, now wondering how to let go of it ... But all these are pure conjecture, only he can say whether he bought the right one or not. Some just 'aeroplane' and don't bother to update or thank others for their time ...
    sorry haven't got time to log onto CS, thus the late reply After reading through all the thread reply, I believe I had bought the wrong hood.

    and yeah, Thanks CSers for giving me such good advice
    Last edited by JVlarcus; 8th August 2010 at 09:02 AM.

  15. #15
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by JVlarcus View Post
    So the shops at Far east aren't that 'reputable'?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore, JurongWest
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Go back and ask for change or refund! The canon lens hoods are damn expensive.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tanjungpinang,Indonesia
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Bro,think you have to pay attention that 18-55's end rotate when it is focusing,so if the hood is the petal model then it wont function well,the hood will rotate as well.one more is try to look for the snap and twist model,because if it's screwed on type,you will easily apoil you filter or lense if you screw it too tightly,if you don't,the hood will keep on spinning.it's really gets on my nerve when i get cheated too on buying screw type,the hood keep spinning causing some corner to have black shadow...Gggrrrgghhhhh.....so the correct one is the type that others show you.
    You can try to look for a non-OEM at mass sale at CS.i got mine EW78E only for $15...looks exactly like the OEM except the red dot.

  18. #18
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by JVlarcus View Post
    is there anyway to let go of this lens hood? will anybody buy?
    Post it with a picture of the hood / box into Buy & Sell. Maybe somebody has use for it.
    EOS

  19. #19

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by wgang View Post
    Go back and ask for change or refund! The canon lens hoods are damn expensive.
    Will they allow such refund? how much are canon lens hood?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by AlongNaga View Post
    Bro,think you have to pay attention that 18-55's end rotate when it is focusing,so if the hood is the petal model then it wont function well,the hood will rotate as well.one more is try to look for the snap and twist model,because if it's screwed on type,you will easily apoil you filter or lense if you screw it too tightly,if you don't,the hood will keep on spinning.it's really gets on my nerve when i get cheated too on buying screw type,the hood keep spinning causing some corner to have black shadow...Gggrrrgghhhhh.....so the correct one is the type that others show you.
    You can try to look for a non-OEM at mass sale at CS.i got mine EW78E only for $15...looks exactly like the OEM except the red dot.
    Yeap I'm experiencing what you've said, and I'm also afraid it'll spoil my filter screw as it drops and I gotta twist it back in..any idea when such mass sale will be held again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Post it with a picture of the hood / box into Buy & Sell. Maybe somebody has use for it.
    Alright, I believe there is someone whom has some use for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •