Thread: Professional Sports Photographers please come in!

Default Professional Sports Photographers please come in!

To all professional sports photographer, I just want to know what are your concerns when using a camera system? What are your evaluating factors? Speed? high ISO? Durability?

And what lens will you be mostly using with? Do note that this is just purely for academic purposes. I do appreciate any form of response, so please help me out, thank you!!
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

Default Re: Professional Sports Photographers please come in!

Quote Originally Posted by theRenaissance View Post
    To all professional sports photographer, I just want to know what are your concerns when using a camera system? What are your evaluating factors? Speed? high ISO? Durability?

And what lens will you be mostly using with? Do note that this is just purely for academic purposes. I do appreciate any form of response, so please help me out, thank you!!
    check with Jed, he shoots for English soccer.
    Objection !!!

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by theRenaissance View Post

I think, as a professional photographer, none of the points you mentioned is important to them. Their greatest concern here is ...

who is buying their shots ? at what price ?

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    I think, as a professional photographer, none of the points you mentioned is important to them. Their greatest concern here is ...

who is buying their shots ? at what price ?
    That's right,
    choosing what gear to use is never a problem
    EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

Like others have mentioned, the most important thing is finding someone who'll pay for the pictures.

But as to the question as it was intended, the concerns are any camera system that will let me get the shot in the best possible quality. By that I mean, not miss the shot for whatever reason (frame rate, focus, any other reason, and in no particular order); quality usually is noise related rather than resolution based.

Generally, one camera with a 70-200/2.8 (occasionally in certain venues a 200/2 and Canon users sometimes opt for a 135/2 instead of the zoom), and one with a long lens of 400mm and up, but those are generalisations. It depends on the sport.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Like others have mentioned, the most important thing is finding someone who'll pay for the pictures.

But as to the question as it was intended, the concerns are any camera system that will let me get the shot in the best possible quality. By that I mean, not miss the shot for whatever reason (frame rate, focus, any other reason, and in no particular order); quality usually is noise related rather than resolution based.

Generally, one camera with a 70-200/2.8 (occasionally in certain venues a 200/2 and Canon users sometimes opt for a 135/2 instead of the zoom), and one with a long lens of 400mm and up, but those are generalisations. It depends on the sport.
    I do agree with Jed, that different sports will need different lens. Because the distant of engagement is different.

I guess, the title of the thread is a little bit misleading in a sense that being "professional", means to be shooting for a living. Whereas shooting to get the moment or to get a dramatic sports picture, doesn't necessary needs to be a professional.

Billy

In sg. not easy to be sports photog unless you have connections. Most important can you get access to the venues?
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Blog Entries

Please note that this section of the forum is to discuss the biz aspect and not academic discussion on technicals of taking photos. Do it else where by this biz section becomes another kopitiam.

Thread closed