Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

  1. #1
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Hi All,

    A newbie here who recently bought a 550D for my coming honeymoon in Europe. Just like to ask for opinions regarding tripod.

    I am planning to bring my gripped 550D with a 15-85mm IS USM lens on it for my trip. I think the total weight will be around 1+ kg. I am also thinking of purchasing either a Canon 430 Ex II or Nissin flash to go with it.

    Can fellow ClubSnappers please do recommend me a good tripod able to take the total weight (together with flash) and yet is light enough for me to lug around on my trip? Also, can someone please educate me about the ballhead? Shouldn't the tripod come together with the ballhead? What is the advantage of buying separately or rather, why separate the 2???

    Thank you all so much in advanced!!

    FFA

  2. #2
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,551

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    you may want to state your budget for the tripod.

    Carbon Fibre ones are light and hence better for travelling, but will set you back by between 300-1000++

    Since you are using a 550D, on your honeymoon, i would suggest less is more. Skip the grip, just bring the body, your 15-85, and perhaps a light 50mm lens for portraits of your wife. Somehow lugging a heavy tripod and camera bag doesn't appeal to me as a good idea on honeymoon.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

  3. #3
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    check Sirui brand carbon fibre one around 300SGD include the ballhead in TK photo..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  4. #4
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,551

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    a good, reasonably priced tripod wld be the Slik Sprint Pro, more then enough for the 550D and lens you are intending to use. This comes with its own standard ball head.

    The reason why people buy tripod legs and ball heads separately is because you may upgrade either your ballhead or tripod legs separately whenever the need arises.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    i just got myself a Benro travel angel tripod n intend it for my honeymoon too. chose it for the weight n size n budget

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    How about a Gitzo tripod with a Markins ballhead?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    you may want to state your budget for the tripod.

    Carbon Fibre ones are light and hence better for travelling, but will set you back by between 300-1000++

    Since you are using a 550D, on your honeymoon, i would suggest less is more. Skip the grip, just bring the body, your 15-85, and perhaps a light 50mm lens for portraits of your wife. Somehow lugging a heavy tripod and camera bag doesn't appeal to me as a good idea on honeymoon.
    Wow!!! Thanks so much for all your quick replies!!!

    My budget is quite low, actually hoping for not more than $200. Not sure whether it can be done. No choice as I blew almost close to $3k on my camera stuff already and my Finance Minister (aka. The Wife) is not too happy...

    I actually prefer the 550D gripped as by itself it is quite small for my big.. Uh Hum... Manly hands...

    I am scouting around for a 50mm f1.4 lens also in the BNS section. Played around with my friend's copy and I simply fell in love with the bokeh..

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    I am scouting around for a 50mm f1.4 lens also in the BNS section. Played around with my friend's copy and I simply fell in love with the bokeh..
    My advise is to get one with warranty, fixing the micro-usm can be costly.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    Wow!!! Thanks so much for all your quick replies!!!

    My budget is quite low, actually hoping for not more than $200. Not sure whether it can be done. No choice as I blew almost close to $3k on my camera stuff already and my Finance Minister (aka. The Wife) is not too happy...

    I actually prefer the 550D gripped as by itself it is quite small for my big.. Uh Hum... Manly hands...

    I am scouting around for a 50mm f1.4 lens also in the BNS section. Played around with my friend's copy and I simply fell in love with the bokeh..
    Go down to TK foto/Ben Photo/artworkfoto and CP and take a look at their tripods...

  10. #10
    Member motionstills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middle East SG
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Try to save a little more and get a carbon fiber one, you won't regret, esp. so if u travel frequently, and carbon fiber is less susceptible to vibration compared to plastic / aluminium.

    I use manfrotto, vanguard and sirui, the sirui brand is really value for money, try it out at TK.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    My advise is to get one with warranty, fixing the micro-usm can be costly.
    I see. Any way to verify that the micro-usm is working before I buy it?

    I will definitely get one from BNS that still have warranty running still in order to avoid this type of troubles. Maybe I will ask the seller to give me 3 days personal warranty also to be more assured.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Go down to TK foto/Ben Photo/artworkfoto and CP and take a look at their tripods...
    Quote Originally Posted by motionstills View Post
    Try to save a little more and get a carbon fiber one, you won't regret, esp. so if u travel frequently, and carbon fiber is less susceptible to vibration compared to plastic / aluminium.

    I use manfrotto, vanguard and sirui, the sirui brand is really value for money, try it out at TK.
    Thanks both! I will go down tomorrow to take a look at their tripod. Definitely will look at the Sirui brand one also. Any specific models to recommend from Sirui? And the price wise??? Else my FM is going to....

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    Thanks both! I will go down tomorrow to take a look at their tripod. Definitely will look at the Sirui brand one also. Any specific models to recommend from Sirui? And the price wise??? Else my FM is going to....
    Sirui has quite a few tripod models.You can go to their Facebook and take a look at their price list.I'll be at TK tmr afternoon too,might see you there

  14. #14
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    I see. Any way to verify that the micro-usm is working before I buy it?

    I will definitely get one from BNS that still have warranty running still in order to avoid this type of troubles. Maybe I will ask the seller to give me 3 days personal warranty also to be more assured.

    You can test the focusing before you buy it. But chances are it's often fail after sometime, coz it's more like a design issue. That is the reason why some would recommend to buy the Sigma 50F1.4 or the Canon 50F1.8 (the ring-usm repair cost can buy easier get one) or 50L instead.

  15. #15
    Member bragbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore / Woodlands
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Sirui has quite a few tripod models.You can go to their Facebook and take a look at their price list.I'll be at TK tmr afternoon too,might see you there


    Sirui TX1004 or 1005...

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    Thanks both! I will go down tomorrow to take a look at their tripod. Definitely will look at the Sirui brand one also. Any specific models to recommend from Sirui? And the price wise??? Else my FM is going to....
    For your setup, you should get the T-2204X with G20 ballhead.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by bragbig View Post
    Sirui TX1004 or 1005...
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For your setup, you should get the T-2204X with G20 ballhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Sirui has quite a few tripod models.You can go to their Facebook and take a look at their price list.I'll be at TK tmr afternoon too,might see you there
    Thanks so much! I will surely go take a look at the models you guys recommended!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Far far away's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far far away...
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Tripod recommendation for gripped Canon 550D with 15-85mm IS USM

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    You can test the focusing before you buy it. But chances are it's often fail after sometime, coz it's more like a design issue. That is the reason why some would recommend to buy the Sigma 50F1.4 or the Canon 50F1.8 (the ring-usm repair cost can buy easier get one) or 50L instead.
    I see. Well then it will be quite risky to buy a 2nd hand one since every single shot you take will take some life out of the micro USM and we definitely have no way of knowing how many shots has been taken with the lens (aka. how much "life" left in the lens). Thanks so much for letting me know.

    I went to read up about the Sigma lens you recommended and it does seem very good, except that it is almost $300 more than the Canon 50mm f1.4, and may have some QC issue requiring calibration. Hmmm....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •