Thread: First time buying 2nd hand DSLR, what to check?

Default First time buying 2nd hand DSLR, what to check?

I'm buying a 2nd hand Sony a350.

Not really sure what to check when I get there. I'm buying just the body, so no worries about checking the lens.

What more do I check other than these:

- Working buttons;
    - Working flash
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

Default Re: First time buying 2nd hand DSLR, what to check?

you could simply use search function to search this topic..
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad0420 View Post

Not really sure what to check when I get there. I'm buying just the body, so no worries about checking the lens.

- Working buttons;
    - Working flash
    - well u should at least have a lens to mount to test shooting on the body

Quote Originally Posted by voxies09 View Post
    you could simply use search function to search this topic..
    hmm i've tried, but what I found are buying 2nd hand lenses. confused using search function, usually comes out other stuff.

@tunge: Yep, i'll bring my lens, and a laptop along to check. Any other stuff that buyers usually miss?

@tunge: Yep, i'll bring my lens, and a laptop along to check. Any other stuff that buyers usually miss?

i guess the main things u listed

-buttons
    -pop up flash
    -LCD screen
    -Sensor (check pictures taken)
    -play with the diff modes - shutter, apperture, manual
    -cracks n bumps on the body (indications that it's been dropped b4)

Think alot more minor things to cover which is really quite impossible to ensure, best is u try to negotiate a 3 days money back fr the seller in case u discovre any faults later at home

A simple "what to check" search found this on the first results page:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=what+to+check
    Alpha

It's not like the TS is new to DSLRs... hmmm, should be quite obvious what to check, right?

or he's just wanting us to create a checklist so he doesn't miss out anything?
    Exploring! :)

Wow, oops, I just searched "check" previously, only result was lenses. Sorry if I had trouble anyone.

Can consider me a noob in DSLR. Yeah, just want to make sure I don't miss out anything, cuz I know you guys are better in terms of knowledge of the parts of the DSLR. But no worries, have checked online for more info on what to check.

But as previous problems encountered by one forumer here, the usb or remote slot wasn't working when he bought his camera. That's why worried if I miss out any small thing.
    Last edited by ahmad0420; 6th August 2010 at 12:06 AM.

sometimes small things are easy to overlook. ~shrug~

I am guilty of just checking the obvious stuff when I buy 2nd hand as well. I guess it's partly down to luck.
    I didn't go and plug a HDMI cable to test video output, etc. Neither did I test the functionality of the timer remote socket.
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

ESPECIALLY when meeting seller with intent of buying a camera body ........ TAKE YOUR TIME

there is a tendency to be kang cheong .... meeting in public place, seller a stranger to you, paiseh to waste people time etc etc etc ..... resulting in a rushed or uneducated decision

Like buying car..... you can kick the tyres and test hi-fi, air-con in 5 mins and decide to buy the car..... OR you can take half an hour or so to run it around the block , check this check that until you are OK before deciding to buy

Cosmetics and little scratches are one thing BUT dont spend too much time dwelling on these.... the time should be spent testing out that the functions are working

I suggest that you print out a check-list of things to check for (Rashkae's link above) ...... it helps when you are nervous and it really keeps you focussed on coming to a decision

And IF you are REALLY kiasu........ before meeting seller, go online and pull out a copy of the user guide of the camera you intend to buy..... READ IT.... sometimes there is really nothing wrong with the camera... it could be a brand whose user interface you are not familiar with and gets to certain functions in a different way or number of steps that you are used to

good luck !
    Last edited by ed9119; 6th August 2010 at 09:11 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

LOL! ya i tend to be kan chiong when dealing at maybe peak hrs too. so take ur time to test out lol. but some stuff cannot be tested, like some dial buttons, sometimes even if its a bit faulty, u'll probably only discover it after bring home and use for some time. so good to ask for maybe a a few days warrenty? lolx but anyway best to bring someone along to check for u. i had a very bad encounter before with someone who doesnt not even honour his promise, that one is really unlucky though.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ESPECIALLY when meeting seller with intent of buying a camera body ........ TAKE YOUR TIME

there is a tendency to be kang cheong .... meeting in public place, seller a stranger to you, paiseh to waste people time etc etc etc ..... resulting in a rushed or uneducated decision

Like buying car..... you can kick the tyres and test hi-fi, air-con in 5 mins and decide to buy the car..... OR you can take half an hour or so to run it around the block , check this check that until you are OK before deciding to buy

Cosmetics and little scratches are one thing BUT dont spend too much time dwelling on these.... the time should be spent testing out that the functions are working

I suggest that you print out a check-list of things to check for (Rashkae's link above) ...... it helps when you are nervous and it really keeps you focussed on coming to a decision

And IF you are REALLY kiasu........ before meeting seller, go online and pull out a copy of the user guide of the camera you intend to buy..... READ IT.... sometimes there is really nothing wrong with the camera... it could be a brand whose user interface you are not familiar with and gets to certain functions in a different way or number of steps that you are used to

good luck !

Hi, Bring your friend along to help and spend some time there to ensure no regret after reaching home and discovering something else is missing; write a checklist.

- Working buttons;
    - Working flash
    hmm i've tried, but what I found are buying 2nd hand lenses. confused using search function, usually comes out other stuff.
    Check the following:
    (1) Build-in flash working?
    (2) Flash hotshoe working? This must be checked with attached flash unit.
    (3) Lens mounting working? Check with a mounted lens, i.e. bring your own if you have.
    (4) Check the trigger buttons.
    (5) Check the different modes (P, A, S, M). Are they working? Can the camera register a change in modes?
    (6) LCD working? Any cracks? Scratches?
    (7) Card compartment. Are the contacts OK i.e. can it write to the card? Is the card door cover OK? Is the cover loose?
    (8) USB connection working? Can you transfer the images from the camera to your laptop?
    (9) Check body. Any obvious cracks/chap etc?
    (10) Check sensor? Can it take a full picture? Dust on sensors are subjective and should not be counted as a defect. However a dust free sensor shows owner takes good care of his equipment.
    (11) Check for obvious signs of fungus.

Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

agree with Kenny n Henry ,do bring a fren who knows the camera so at least TS might not leave out anythings not check

thanks people for the tips, i'm meeting the seller in an hour time, will refer to this thread.