Thread: Anyone had any problems using Pentax k-x and Tamron 18-200mm lens?

Default Anyone had any problems using Pentax k-x and Tamron 18-200mm lens?

I went to bangkok last month and used a recently newly bought Tamron 18-200mm lens and a four month old Pentax K-X. In the beginning, it was great. Just focus and take photo. Then, after about 200 photos, it started giving problems. About a quarter of the time when it was on 18mm, it would reluctantly auto focus and refuse to take the photo. This is in daylight. The only way to take it was to change from AF to MF(manual focus). About 3 or 4 times, this also happened at other focal lengths, but mostly it happened at 18mm.

I'll be taking it to Pentax probably next week when I have time.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Nothing turned up when I googled it.

For those interested, when I used the kit lens 18-55mm, it did hunt using auto focus when there was not much contrast in the subject, but it never did not take the photo.

Default Re: Anyone had any problems using Pentax k-x and Tamron 18-200mm lens?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTaylor View Post
    I went to bangkok last month and used a recently newly bought Tamron 18-200mm lens and a four month old Pentax K-X. In the beginning, it was great. Just focus and take photo. Then, after about 200 photos, it started giving problems. About a quarter of the time when it was on 18mm, it would reluctantly auto focus and refuse to take the photo. This is in daylight. The only way to take it was to change from AF to MF(manual focus). About 3 or 4 times, this also happened at other focal lengths, but mostly it happened at 18mm.

I'll be taking it to Pentax probably next week when I have time.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Nothing turned up when I googled it.

For those interested, when I used the kit lens 18-55mm, it did hunt using auto focus when there was not much contrast in the subject, but it never did not take the photo.
    Hi
    Presume you have removed and re-mounted your lens? Sometimes contact problem can cause this. It happened to me before on my old K100D twice but was ok after I remounted the lens. Check that the contacts are clean. Also, good thing to take out the batteries, wait a while and re-insert them. Does this only happen with this lens? Then could be the lens problem.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Yeah could be a lens problem, should try other lens and see if the work fine

My k-7 also refuses to take the photo if there is no focus confirmation or focus lock... and the Hexagon is blinking.

It only takes when it is focus is confirmed or when it is set to AF.C mode
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    My k-7 also refuses to take the photo if there is no focus confirmation or focus lock... and the Hexagon is blinking.

It only takes when it is focus is confirmed or when it is set to AF.C mode
    Set the AF/OK button to disable AF and you can take photos when you hold the button down even if it's not locked

I have a KX and use the same lens Tamron 18-200mm previously. Never encountered a similar problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have taken the zoom off and reattached it. I have only taken a handful of photos since, but there has been no focusing problem so far.

Fingers crossed