Thread: Which lens to use?

Default Which lens to use?

Hi,

I know it is kind of early to ask... but I am planning to shoot the year end marathon. I have the following lens which I am hoping to use,

1) 70-200mm f4L IS
    2) 300mm non IS

Since both of them are 'L' lens, I am expecting that they are almost of the same sharpness (maybe the 300mm is a tact sharper). I am wondering which lens should I use? I am new to sports photography so I hope to have some advice.

Also, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a combination of either of the abovementioned lens with a 1.4x TC?

Thanks in advance.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: Which lens to use?

The Canon EF 100-400mm lens is Canon's premium telephoto zoom lens. It competes with the EF 300mm prime lenses as a telephoto and with the EF 70-200mm as a wide range telephoto zoom.

The 100-400mm Lens has an excellent focal length range that includes the longest focal length found in a Canon zoom lens - 400mm.

This long focal length and focal length range combine with very good image and build quality to make the 100-400 one of the most popular serious wildlife and sports lenses Canon sells.
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS
    5D3 + Luxury Lenses|Hope To Make Someone Happy By Showing My Pictures|

Thanks. But currently that is abit out of my budget and I do not wish to increase my lens collection.
    My lousy shots

i would choose the 70-200 cos i can use for nearer shots, the 300mm seems a tad restrictive to me. However, if you are shooting from a distance away the 300mm would be better

for an event like that, a zoom lens will be more versatile. you may not time time to adjust your standing position. you might miss a "winning shot" by the time you move closer or further from the subject

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Hi,

I know it is kind of early to ask... but I am planning to shoot the year end marathon. I have the following lens which I am hoping to use,

1) 70-200mm f4L IS
    2) 300mm non IS

Since both of them are 'L' lens, I am expecting that they are almost of the same sharpness (maybe the 300mm is a tact sharper). I am wondering which lens should I use? I am new to sports photography so I hope to have some advice.

Also, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a combination of either of the abovementioned lens with a 1.4x TC?

Thanks in advance.
    You really buy into all the marketing eh?
    anyway since you have both the lenses in your possession, why not test them out side by side to see which is sharper? 300mm on a crop-factor body (i see your signature says 40D and 1000D) is kinda tight. In a marathon, I'd expect you to be blocked by many people whilst trying to get the shot.
    Not really experienced in this area as well, but I think a wide angle lens, and going close to the action, would be better?
    Exploring! :)

Thanks guys for the useful suggestion... hmm... maybe I will use the 70-200mm and take my 50mm prime just for added security... hahahaha.
    My lousy shots

a marathon should still allow you to get close to action unlike car racing or bird shooting. Personally i think a fast lens is in order since runners are running? I used a 50mm prime during the SHAPE run, was standing only 3m from the end point, still felt it is too close cause i couldnt get the timer and the winner in 1 shot.

Use the 70-200. And add on a flash if needed.

I shot the Shape Runs with this set-up and gotten pretty decent results
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

use the faster lens if you intend to freeze motion.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    a marathon should still allow you to get close to action unlike car racing or bird shooting. Personally i think a fast lens is in order since runners are running? I used a 50mm prime during the SHAPE run, was standing only 3m from the end point, still felt it is too close cause i couldnt get the timer and the winner in 1 shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Use the 70-200. And add on a flash if needed.

I shot the Shape Runs with this set-up and gotten pretty decent results
    Quote Originally Posted by motionstills View Post
    use the faster lens if you intend to freeze motion.
    Thanks guys, I think I will use my 70-200 and perhaps bring another fast lens for security measure. At least do not need to lug around too heavy a weigh.
    My lousy shots

Enjoy!