Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: irritating voice ads on mrt

Bus and MRt transport used to be quiet and (more) economical. When they added TVMobile to buses, a whole lot of people were very offended. It was literally shoved into our faces, and while we could close our eyes, we could not shut out the noise of the silly programs and ads. I really missed the days when I could enjoy moments of serenity on the bus, after a day of non-stop bombardment of crap at work.

The smart alecs at the management level figured that there was no way for people to shut out the sound, so it must be an effective way of getting the message to a captive audience. Well... if any of the advertisers are reading this... take note... I get so irritated by this fact that I can't switch off the offending medium, that I refuse to patronise any of the advertisers! The very same people who funds this offensive crap should not be supported... that's my view. I don't know how many people share my view, but I hope more do so and TVMobile will cease to exist. In fact, if all the policemen go on vacation for a day, I'd gladly take a sledgehammer and smash up all the speakers on the bus.

Profit has seldom been a justification for fees hike anyway. The last time SMRT increased bus fares, it was posting millions in profit. It's disgusting how consumers are made to suffer for everything. They are using the EZLink card to eliminate cheating on bus fares, and I bet that reaped a hefty profit for them. But when EZLink made losses, commuters are made to pay even more??? Such crap would never have been tolerated in more open societies. Why... even the people of HK would have gone to the streets to protest! No sir... not in Singapore... although I'm sure the government would have encouraged us to go to Speakers' Corner to voice our sorrows...

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilng
    In the first place, these are not ads, they are 'public service announcements' put in a creative & very typically Singaporean way. At least it's not the usual 'Ladies & gentlemen, please.....blablabla...please...blablabla'. If more Singaporeans were civic-minded, then perhaps we wouldn't need to have these blaring out on the trains everyday. All that said, yes, I do sometimes find them irritating & wonder if some people actually get the message at all.

I totally agree with u!
    The ad is totally necessary in this current time.

until everyone understand the basics of letting their seat to an elderly or those who requires.

Let me ask, Pls be truthful.
    Who gives their seat to someone who need willingly in a crowded train?

I know i be flamed.
    But we are not the only culture in thiss world who faces this prob.

BTW, Who ever seen someone eating a pack of econmical mee hoon in the train?
    Some more finishes it?

Thanks,
    Last edited by scanman; 11th May 2004 at 09:06 PM.

i missed the peacefulness in public transportation i used to had
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

Somebody wrote in Streats today. I read it today. I'm sure there is more but they publish only what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilng
    In the first place, these are not ads, they are 'public service announcements' put in a creative & very typically Singaporean way. At least it's not the usual 'Ladies & gentlemen, please.....blablabla...please...blablabla'. If more Singaporeans were civic-minded, then perhaps we wouldn't need to have these blaring out on the trains everyday. ..
    The point is that those announcements are utterly useless, ineffective and does nothing except to annoy and add to the noise pollution. What the MRT is doing now is equivalent to spamming

Those who are not civic minded in the first place will not care about some silly announcements. If they are thick skinned enough to be ungracious, do you think they will care about some announcements and ads?

For those who are civic minded, you don't need such announcements since they are already well .. civic minded and automatically be gracious commuters. These announcements only serve to add noise pollution

The ONLY truly effective way is our own upbringing. The other effective way is through fines but this is forced compliance. IF the MRT imposes a fine of $100 for not giving way to alighting passengers for example and enforces it, let's see how many people will breach this rule? You'll get instant compliance where 500 years of announcements will do nothing
    Last edited by goering; 11th May 2004 at 10:31 PM.

maybe can do it like bus style...not too loud...wanna listen can tune into radio stations....like tt they can use the small TV screens we see on NEL too...

I think what makes the 'public service announcement' irrtating is probably Patricia Mok's voice?

hi all...
    I think that the announcement is SO LAME!~ ESP the one about Talking loudly disturbing the Passenger(The 4D one)... They are actually disturbing us by broadCAsting the SUPER LOUD reminder...

The annoucement is ok if they keep the volume low.
    They are too loud.

I've hearding problem. Lost 15% for each ear (each side) which is 30% out of 200%.
    In my condition, if I can heard that and feel that it is loud. Can't think for those 'GOOD' ear one...

Quote Originally Posted by scanman
    I totally agree with u!
    The ad is totally necessary in this current time.

until everyone understand the basics of letting their seat to an elderly or those who requires.

Let me ask, Pls be truthful.
    Who gives their seat to someone who need willingly in a crowded train?

I know i be flamed.
    But we are not the only culture in thiss world who faces this prob.

BTW, Who ever seen someone eating a pack of econmical mee hoon in the train?
    Some more finishes it?

Thanks,

Yes I'm annoyed by the announcement.... its too loud.

It may have a negative effect. Like causing people to think

"Hey I'm not a moron that need to be reminded so often about civic conciousness and graciousness. I'll be regarded as a fool if I follow blindly to propaganda!"

People who may wanted to moved in may feel otherwise. Is the train user really so horrible with everyone hogging at the doors? The situation is, the train is already more packed when compare those discotheques that will certainly be raided by SCDF for overcrowding.

SMRT only wanted to squeeze more people per train to offset the increase in overhead cost.....without resorting to increase fare.

SMRT: How to tell everyone to squeeze without letting them feel that we are actually trying to increase the profit.

:Tell them repetitively that its rude not to squeeze over the PA system.

:add something about talk loudly so its not so obvious that the main announcement is to ask them squeeze.

:tell them not to eat....because need more personal space to consume food.....bottom line, harder to squeeze if people start eating.

SO Do You Think SMRT will REMOVE the Announcement?

ANS: Wait long long...or alternatively... Ahem: we need to revise the fare as commuters are not cooperating...we can't maximise the squeeze effect on them physically...so let it be on the pocket then.

Okay jokes aside,

Sometimes give up my seat to elderly. Like with one look you know this person is sixty plus and pregnant lady. Of course only if they are nearby like 2-3 steps away... I mentioned sometimes is because there are times I fall asleep.

I have never seen anyone eat bee hoon on the train, But have seen students bring bubble tea and munching on the jellies, have seen a female young adult eating fillet-o-fish, but was forcefully taken away by her 50+ years old mother. Because everyone was looking! Saw the lady was annoyed by her mum action. She seems to be in her early 20s.......... Haiz must be damn hungry..

People here won't eat food that are too bothersome to handle. Usually tibits and mainly students.

How many of us here actually have the moral courage to tell off people? I must say very few. Even I will not bother. Many have the moral strength not to do such things but not the moral courage to tell people off.

About giving up seats, sometimes it seems like we are too shy to give up our seats....because no one else is doing it. Like we'll be getting unwanted attention for being too nice..... as if not acceptable in our individualist and self-centred society. Then when someone else give up his or her seat, you can almost sense the feeling of relieve among those people who are awake and not reading or studying.

Most of us are too self-conscious, there's nothing wrong in being gracious and everyone who are able bodied should try giving up seats to people who requires it more. If we care, just show it.

The complaints are even more pronouced in another forum.

Damn it, I have accidentally suay suay sat under the bloody speaker for 2 consecutive days and today my ear phones spoilt.
    SOOOOOO LOUD
    It disturbed my morning nap from AMK to clementi. 4 times daily and that means 20times per week multiply by 4 which is 80times per mth.
    I dun think the msg gets to me. Instead, I can memorise the ad now.
    And it is very very irritating!!

Its rude, low class, bad english and lack gracefulness in the way the ad was brought to pple. Just seems like a no-effort put in job to me.
    Crap!
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

I have not taken public transport for a long time. Recently I got onto a bus, and yes I did find the TV shows and loud volume intrusive and disturbing.

My simple solution would be to get a good pair of ear plugs (the army ones are pretty good - not the very cheap ones, but the $5 ones). Makes the whole world very serene. I used to wear them all the time when I was motorcycling. Helps you observe your surroundings better as well, and the flicker of the TV would make everything more "BladeRunner"-like.

You mean they really have loud announcements telling you not to talk loudly? That's really rich. Sad, but rich.

Quote Originally Posted by rty
    Well, I don't believe this. To be fair, we must also note that they do take action on some feedbacks. Remember the multi-lingual announcement to remind passengers to stand behind the yellow line? Two months ago, the Mandarin version was done by a woman with a very unpleasant high pitch squeaky voice ("Da jia qing zu yi...."). It is now changed to a voice of a woman with a pleasant voice.

Agree...!
    And also they removed the "thank you" word at the end of the sentence to make it shorter.

disgusting ads....

still hear them today, yesterday, and every other day....

you mean you need these ads to ask you not to sit on the floor? I thought people have more sense.

give up seat for the elderly? through my years of experience, I seldom see pregnant women or eldery people subjected to standing for the entire journey. People here are civic minded after all, and I seriously don't understand why there is a need for these "public service messages"

It seems more like some officer in the company trying to appease the bosses by screening such ads. Their excuse is probably " now people can be constantly reminded to be civic minded and awake all the time so they can all rush to give up their seat for the next old auntie hobbling in"

Its sad, and its wrong....

I am surprised that no reporter has picked this up yet; or they are not allowed to write this down...

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    I am surprised that no reporter has picked this up yet; or they are not allowed to write this down...
    Have you tried calling ST Newsline and tell them about this hot threat developing at the forum?

My personal opinion about the ad... well, Jnifur summed it up well and I would throw in a few more words to it: annoying, humiliating, and denigrating!

I just can't figure out how in their mind they can even think of promoting social gracefulness and courtesy through a campaign using such acts that can only be associated with rudeness, lack of social grace, low class, bad English, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by funksoulava
    I think what makes the 'public service announcement' irrtating is probably Patricia Mok's voice?
    Not Patricia Mok's voice but Patricia Mok's noice. Damn noisy and sickening!

Quote Originally Posted by rty
    I just can't figure out how in their mind they can even think of promoting social gracefulness and courtesy through a campaign using such acts that can only be associated with rudeness, lack of social grace, low class, bad English, etc.
    Yup, I've to agree with rty on this one...This is a joke, using low class & bad english in a rude & very loud manner to promote social gracefulness & courtesy...What a disgrace...

Quote Originally Posted by henavs
    Yup, I've to agree with rty on this one...This is a joke, using low class & bad english in a rude & very loud manner to promote social gracefulness & courtesy...What a disgrace...
    Yeah man! Damn low-class! What a shame!

Lightbulb

Today, in ST, a letter from Grace Tang is published. Hurray! someone has provided feedback and made it to ST's forum page. Let's wait for SMRT to reply, hopefully, it will not be one of those PR correct standard reply and hollow in substance.

It is jarring! Way too loud.

yup... I think this campaign really shows the lows SMRT can come with...

even the photos with Jack neo and Patricia is simply poorly taken and digusting.

Our clubsnappers can take better photos!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast