Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: irritating voice ads on mrt

Lightbulb behave like p_p

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    In fact I have done so many times. Seems like they just give a standard reply in all my complaints - about 5-6 by now. And I am really pissed.

Already before these in-train announcements, I had complained many times about the annoying train announcements every few minutes in 4 languages concerning the "stand behind yellow line". And as I complain about announcements in the train platforms, now they have added these in-train announcements as well and additional ones on "suspicious parcels"

I think now the only way is to write in to the Straits Times Forum Page via snail mail. I suggest we conduct a poll as well to add weight to our cause and Stefen - if you are willing, I'll write the letter for you to the ST forum if you are willing to put down your name to it

My most recent complaint was this:

I find the train announcements in 4 languages very disturbing to the public. It adds considerably to the noise pollution and goes non stop every few minutes.

These announcements get pretty old and very annoying. Has any of your MRT executives taken trains on a daily basis? If any of you do take trains 4 times a day, 365 days a year, then you may appreciate the amount of noise and disturbance created by these announcements as you step in to the station, wait at the station and as you exit the station

As a means to educate or remind the public, I find it is pretty ineffective. Nobody bothers about it because it is the same old thing. Announcements are only effective if it is done very sparingly. In fact the current announcements actually promote people to "switch off" and miss genuine annoucements. The MRT is the only place I know of that does this and I'm afraid I don't appreciate it. Imagine walking into every shopping centre and announcements like "Hold on to the escalator rails, No smoking, blah blah" gets aired non stop ..this gets outrageous.

The standard practice is to put up signs but I notice there are no such signs in the train platforms. So may I suggest that:

a) Signs be put up eg "Stand behind yellow line", "No eating", etc and do away with the annoying announcements. With these signs, the MRT would have done its part
    b) Perhaps install sensors and sound an alarm if anyone crosses the yellow line when the train is not in the platform
    c) Reduce the frequency and volume of the announcements if what I am proposing is to be shot down

This is their reply:

Thank you for your feedback.

With regard to your email, we wish to take this opportunity to inform
    you
    that for all safety-related announcements and publicity materials, they
    will
    be done in four languages.

We have noted your feedback and other similar feedback received
    previously.
    Hence, to avoid clutter, for other announcements which are non-safety
    related, they are in English language only.

Todate, we have received mixed feedback from commuters with regard to
    the
    number of announcements played in our system. We wish to share with you
    that
    whilst some have requested that we increase the number of announcements
    as
    they are more effective than signages, another group preferred signages
    to
    announcements. In view of of the above-mentioned, we have to strike a
    balance between the two.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We would like to
    assure
    you that we have noted it and will continue to monitor the situation.
    Should
    you have any other query or feedback, please feel free to call the SMRT
    Information Centre Hotline at 1800-336 8900 (toll-free).

Regards
    Sherlyn Chia
    Corporate Communications Executive
    Yes, they behave like the p_p. they want feedback but you get the feeling that they are not listening. from same genes.

Quote Originally Posted by mportrait
    I feel the remainders are good as it is light hearted. But maybe they should play it underground as it cant be made out with all the background noise.
    you may feel light hearted if you take the train once a while.

when you do so 365 days, 4 times daily it may be a different story altogether and there is simply no escape at all.

if this happens at a shopping centre i may avoid or minimise going to the shopping centre but taking mrt is something i have no alternative

They are simply abusing the PA system. Is that what the PA system is used for? Blatant abuse of PA system
    Last edited by goering; 10th May 2004 at 04:21 PM.

irritating does not even start to describe the annoyance of the ads... but hey, here's my solution for the problem:

cheap and good.

just for thought, if were to take the MRT from boon lay to pasir ris, that'll be 27 stations. They play the ads once every 2-3 stations. that means i'll have to listen to it 9-14 times. hmm.... wonder if that'll make me crazy or something...

if it does, can i sue?

I take mrt from bukit batok to Pasir ris everyday to and fro....

I am getting insane because I seem to be urged to buy 4D, even though I try hard without success to listen to my Norah Jones....can I sue?

Quote Originally Posted by juzthin
    irritating does not even start to describe the annoyance of the ads... but hey, here's my solution for the problem:

cheap and good.

just for thought, if were to take the MRT from boon lay to pasir ris, that'll be 27 stations. They play the ads once every 2-3 stations. that means i'll have to listen to it 9-14 times. hmm.... wonder if that'll make me crazy or something...

if it does, can i sue?
    Usually your hair will turn white first. Then your hearing goes. After that your hair will drop from all the frustrations. he he

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    I take mrt from bukit batok to Pasir ris everyday to and fro....

I am getting insane because I seem to be urged to buy 4D, even though I try hard without success to listen to my Norah Jones....can I sue?
    hehe, you can try suing.. maybe it contravenes the Geneva convention as it constitutes unusual mental and phsychological torture. But most probably the courts will just tell you to take taxi or take a bus.

I take the train from Tampines to Jurong East and back and it's really irritating especially on the way back. The stupid old people who came up with the policies etc probably drive big cars and don't take the MRT so they don't suffer under their own policies.

In the interchange stations like Jurong East, City Hall, etc where a eastward train's frequency is like 7 minutes (how can they find this even remotely acceptable) probably to optimise train capacity (they just love to squeeze 2 south-bound to 1 east-bound), I hear even more of the announcements. On a rainy day, there's even "floor is slippery" or something like that. I took the NEL a couple of times and the announcements there are worse.

And now they have to add to the noise pollution by playing these MRT courtesy ads...

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by juzthin

cheap and good.
    your solution merely alleviates the annoyance and carrying the plugs around and putting them on is an inconvenience and unnecessary added cost.

more importantly you may miss important calls on your handphone and when you speak on your handphone you do not want all that nonsense overwhelming your conversation

seriously can someone write in to the straits times forum with a poll to back our cause and petition for the removal of all announcements except genuine announcements such as train delays?

Online feedback and writing in to them has proven useless - as the more I do so, the more announcements they have come up with
    Last edited by goering; 10th May 2004 at 05:56 PM.

speaking of mrt ads.... did anyone notice the one for the sms contest? they screen an ad, then ask u to sms the ans to a question...last week, they asked what food was featured in the no eating ad.

Anyway, the point is.. i was like looking at the ad repeating and repeating and i couldn't find a phone number. hmm... wonder where i'm suppose to sms the ans to....

bottomline: if they wanna show ads in trains, pls give us some quality stuff with QC. Cheesy ads serves to irritate. Faulty ads portrays a really bad image of smrt. what would tourist think when they see the lousy ads....

I just sent my feedback in SMRT website today to stop that stupid noice pollution.

Those who read and listen to music knows how annoying this. Guys please write your feedback to SMRT or newspapers. The trains already full of ads and I think that's enough. They promised better service when they increase the fare, but it's getting worse now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caussway
    I just sent my feedback in SMRT website today to stop that stupid noice pollution.
    Trust me, I have already been sending them feedback about annoying train announcements when they first started it. You will receive a standard reply that will amount to nothing - see if your reply is similar to mine above

If you want results, we need to write in to the ST forum or some other means. Anyway, it's still good that you send in that feedback - at the very least - they have more work to do to replying to your complaint

It seems Singaporeans are willing to put up with things that I know will never be put up with overseas.

For example, the first time I saw and heard TV Mobile on a bus, I was really morbidly fascinated. The whole journey was a 50% advertisement bombardment for me, and the remaining 50% was on poor content. And it was loud, and intrusive: you have no choice but to be forced to listen to it. In the morning, when you are cranky, and in the evening, when you are crankier.

And to top it off, they made this interview about how people find TV Mobile, and they showed only 4 people, and they said that it is excellent, and great, and how it has changed their bus-ride experience. This is really ironic: a TV ad, on justifying TV ads. And making TV mobile, therefore seemingly acceptable, and well-liked by people. amazingly, I am willing to bet those are the only 4 people who watch TV mobile.

Next time you get into a bus, look around, and see, if you can find anyone who is even watching the TV screen. You will be fortunate to find more than 1 out of 10 commuters... the rest are looking our of the window, looking at other people, looking at the watch, everything except look at the screen.

We put up with far too much advertising (trust me, all this is advertisement dollars driven). We have actually given up much of how we want to ride a bus (in peace and quiet).

All I can say is this: bus fares go up every year, in the name of "better buses", but the truth is this: did we need the EZ link? Did we ask for TV Mobile? Did we need the colour painted brochures on every bus service? Did we asked for the new bus stops with that monopolistic ad agency?

No, we only want 2 things: higher frequency of buses, and better drivers. The next round of fare hike is to justify the upgrading of the existing LCD screens to XGA TFT screen, clearer and brighter.

But of course, TV Mobile has nothing to do with SBS, as some might say, it is a separate entity. So let me end by saying this: SBS, please focus on your core competency, which is providing quality public transportation at a appropriate price, minus the frills. Enough of this and that tie-ups, with this and that predatory advertising agencies. They dont care for us, nor feel for us, as they dont take your buses, in the morning, and in the evening.

Hmm, not sure how often the advertisements and advisories in Singapore are, but here in the UK, we do have 'Mind the Gap' pretty often (when a train pulls into the station), plus quite periodic security announcements (watch out for suspicious bags etc). And if you are lucky, you can get entertaining train drivers who would regale passengers with jokes and what not throughout the whole journey.

I've also seen TV mobile type thingys in London buses recently, but they don't come with sound...yet.

okie dokie...I will try to pen down a letter to forum today.... see if that works....

any points that I must include?

okie dokie...I will try to pen down a letter to forum today.... see if that works....

Great! How about including the feedback on the anti drug campaign ads/ posters prominently displayed on MRT stations showing a big poster of a man lying on sofa with his crotch all wet and another one showing a young man lying unconscious, next to a urinoir with vomit all over the places? How do you all find this type of ads? Although the intention is good, which I believe is to unglamorize drug use, I personally find the ads were done in a very revolting sickening way which reflects nothing but a very poor taste. Moreover the posters are being put in stations like Cityhall, Raffles Place, Orchard stations making them so highly visible to international visitors/tourists. Is drug usage so rampant in Singapore that we have to resort to this type of educational campaign without any concern about social grace, and image/ perception visitors/tourists might have on us? I just wish SMRT will consider taking those posters away, at least from stations in business and tourist belt areas such as Cityhall, Orchard, and Raffles. Do you agree?
    Last edited by rty; 11th May 2004 at 02:02 PM.

Maybe can also ask SMRT, for those empty ad boxes which they could not yet find advertisers to fill in, can temporarily give to CS members to showcase their best photos/works?

Quote Originally Posted by goering
    Trust me, I have already been sending them feedback about annoying train announcements when they first started it. You will receive a standard reply that will amount to nothing - see if your reply is similar to mine above
    Well, I don't believe this. To be fair, we must also note that they do take action on some feedbacks. Remember the multi-lingual announcement to remind passengers to stand behind the yellow line? Two months ago, the Mandarin version was done by a woman with a very unpleasant high pitch squeaky voice ("Da jia qing zu yi...."). It is now changed to a voice of a woman with a pleasant voice.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitybix
    We put up with far too much advertising (trust me, all this is advertisement dollars driven). We have actually given up much of how we want to ride a bus (in peace and quiet).
    Reminds me of a funny story: In McGill University Montreal, the school sold the space above urinals in the male toilet as advertisers. There was a huge uproar, with a mass student voting exercise to get the school to remove the adverts.

Talk about encroachment into our private space.

But here... no. Its everywhere. And i do think they should not allow soliciting when i pee. What's next? Plasmas behind the toilet door to keep me amused and occupied when i'm doing my business?

Actually, i have been of late feeling very stifled when i go down town. I make the epic journey downtown only like twice to thrice a month. Everywhere just seems so congested and crowded with people; air is humid and its quite difficult just to breathe, let alone enjoy the shopping experience. And worse, you have almost everything, living or otherwise screaming at you asking you to spend your money on what they have to offer... Its starting to get scary...
    Last edited by tert; 11th May 2004 at 02:42 PM.

In the first place, these are not ads, they are 'public service announcements' put in a creative & very typically Singaporean way. At least it's not the usual 'Ladies & gentlemen, please.....blablabla...please...blablabla'. If more Singaporeans were civic-minded, then perhaps we wouldn't need to have these blaring out on the trains everyday. All that said, yes, I do sometimes find them irritating & wonder if some people actually get the message at all.

Blog Entries

sigh... me tried e-mailing them and begged them to stop the irritating ads. i think they cut and pasted goering's mail onto mine... ARRGGGHHHH....

is there any CSers here who works for SMRT?? can u do all mankind a big favour and tell ur upper manangement (unless u happened to be one urself...) to stop the ads!!!!!???????
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast