Thread: Headed Home

Default Headed Home

Hi everyone,

Am new here and also to photography. Would like to seek your CC for this shot I took while in Phnom Penh a week back.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition (including lighting, whether certain parts should be more clear/blurred), and post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Reminder of the simple aspects of life, which in this case is a pair of brothers headed home after school.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was on board a tuk tuk in Phnom Penh on the way back to the hotel when I decided to take out the camera and start snapping. These kids were nearby and smiling at me, so decided to take a shot of them.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I chose black and white as I wanted to try something different...and I shot several shots before deciding on using this (others were slightly blurred).

Hope this works. Thanks for your comments and cheers!

Default Re: Headed Home

For the composition, i can answer to this. Find a shot where you, as in the photo, which shows where the motorbike is going, not just a plain motorbike 'stalling' there with 2 'brother' sitting on it. (You know what i mean? Show the direction of where they are going.)

For the color, its such a beautiful moment, that the two 'brothers' are looking at you, smiling, why put it black and white as if they are going to ppl 'song-kah'.

Cheers
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

thanks for the advice. let's say if i wanted to take a portrait of the schoolchildren instead, should i just cropped the photo closer?

also do you feel that the photo lacks something composition wise?

Quote Originally Posted by wangwe View Post
    thanks for the advice. let's say if i wanted to take a portrait of the schoolchildren instead, should i just cropped the photo closer?

also do you feel that the photo lacks something composition wise?
    Don't crop up the brothers. It will shows a back of the driver. It will be kinda disturbing.

For the composition, yes, it lacks of something. perhaps you are too close to the object, thus, this picture doesn't give a feeling of where the motor is going. No sense of direction.

Cheers
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer if you were closer to the subject(s) and a little forward rather than behind .... just personal preference
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

In a photo taken on the streets, there is usually little you can do about lighting and backgrounds.

For this photo, to me, it doesn't really evoke a sense of going home. But I can see the idea of travelling...

The black and white processing is good. The picture is natural and realistic. It won't be an award-winning shot, but if I were you, this photo is good enough to be kept as memory for an overseas trip.
    The best things in life are free.