Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring my Pentax Kx to Korea

Default Re: Bring my Pentax Kx to Korea

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    i agree with your explanation of condensation but the ziploc bag is a little iffy to me...

the coldest thing on the camera would be the metal and the glass (i.e. glass) ... when you take it indoors, its still the coldest part of the camera... ziploc bag notwithstanding...

i thought the camera would just condense inside the ziploc bag...
    highly unlikely i think because the air in the ziplock is cold.. when it warms up, the water vapor trapped within the ziplock should not change into water form because warm air traps more water vapor and not the other way round. got to take note that water content in the bag is constant...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkornos View Post
    Hi, Korea winter is very cold. Some days may go to -10 or even lower. The wind chill at night can be bad. The week before Chinese New Year is always freezing.

Bring extra batteries and hide the camera under your coat. Enjoy a good trip
    Wow is it really that cold? I am going next January to ski, must really take extra care to protect my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaper View Post
    oo wad a coincidence... im going korea this coming winter too learnt from outside threads that when moving from the outside cold to a warm room, its advisable to put the cam into a ziplock first to prevent sudden condensation internally

lets punish the kx this winter
    Hey dude, when are you going? This weekend got some in-house pre-natas shows, Chan brothers will hold theirs at Suntec. I might be joining their tour. Maybe can share lobang
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    Hey dude, when are you going? This weekend got some in-house pre-natas shows, Chan brothers will hold theirs at Suntec. I might be joining their tour. Maybe can share lobang
    hey bro ooo thx for sharing the news! am looking out for shows to purchase the plane tix lol... apparantly most tour agencies have not released tickets for december onwards

hmmm im going on free & easy i dont really like group tours as they will rush here and there, leaving not much time to do what i wan to do like shooting, shopping etc...
    Last edited by WhitePaper; 4th August 2010 at 10:53 PM.

hey bro ooo thx for sharing the news! am looking out for shows to purchase the plane tix lol... apparantly most tour agencies have not released tickets for december onwards

hmmm im going on free & easy i dont really like group tours as they will rush here and there, leaving not much time to do what i wan to do like shooting, shopping etc...
    Oh I see, I would want to do free & easy as well but since I am going to Jeju, Seoul and also to ski at the resort, a bit too much of a hassle to do that, especially when language is a barrier.

Btw, the tour package for January is already out, free&easy package should be released at the same time right?
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    Oh I see, I would want to do free & easy as well but since I am going to Jeju, Seoul and also to ski at the resort, a bit too much of a hassle to do that, especially when language is a barrier.

Btw, the tour package for January is already out, free&easy package should be released at the same time right?
    ah icic... actually im literally going free & easy as in ill just get a plane ticket there and tahts it lol.. not gonna sign up any packages.. ive been planning my own itenary for quite a few months already i learnt abit of korean before so i guess i wont exactly die there

hmmm yea i guess f&e should be out same time.. i think they go by seasons... last time i went to peoples park to recee, most tour agencies told me to come back late aug to sept that period
    Last edited by WhitePaper; 4th August 2010 at 11:15 PM.

really? but why would that help prevent condensation?
    ... there is limited moisture in the bag when condensation takes place - compared to moisture in the air.

I bought my Pentax k-x in Dec and went to Finland the same week. It survived -29C without any problem.
    But do bring extra batteries.

highly unlikely i think because the air in the ziplock is cold.. when it warms up, the water vapor trapped within the ziplock should not change into water form because warm air traps more water vapor and not the other way round. got to take note that water content in the bag is constant...
    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    ... there is limited moisture in the bag when condensation takes place - compared to moisture in the air.
    cool... learn something new every day

Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    Why? Is it because ziplock is air tight and the amount of air in the bag is lesser then what is outside thus less moisture?

cool... learn something new every day
    yep... im learning too

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumLite View Post
    Why? Is it because ziplock is air tight and the amount of air in the bag is lesser then what is outside thus less moisture?
    hmmm in simplier terms...

1) when cold air heats up, the amount of water it can hold as vapour increases (which is why we dry our clothes better in hot weather)

2) in a zip lock bag where the content of the air is fixed (air tight), the bag is cold turning warm and the object is the same temperature as the cold air,

water vapor will not condense inside because the air can still contain the water as vapour (reason in point 1).

an example, originally cold air can hold 5g of water vapour. after heating, the warm air can hold 8g of water vapour. since water content is still the same, no reason for water vapour to turn into liquid.

3) on the other hand when a cold object is brought into a warm enviroment where water vapour content is a variable, condensation may occur

an example, originally warm air can hold 8g/cm3 of water vapour, when a cold object is brought in, the cooled air can now hold 6g/cm3 of water vapour. if there is 7g/cm3 of water vapour in the air, 1g/cm3 of water vapour will condense

but up to now its still based on guess... if im wrong pls correct me :P
    Last edited by WhitePaper; 5th August 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkornos View Post
    Hi, Korea winter is very cold. Some days may go to -10 or even lower. The wind chill at night can be bad. The week before Chinese New Year is always freezing.

Bring extra batteries and hide the camera under your coat. Enjoy a good trip
    that is wat i worry
    will bring extra batteries on that day, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    korea is fine..
    wait till cny period, i'll bring my kx out and take some pictures..
    that'll be -25 to -30C
    lol then i'll post some results, see if it fails

-20C condition exist in Singapore also. I have done a few surveys of cold room and my K20D has not problem dealing with the extreme cold. Only issue is condensation on the lens and presumably the internal of the body when coming out from the room. I usually will wrap my camera to minimise the abrupt change and wait for 10 minutes before using it again.
    shoot to remember. flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12