Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast

Thread: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part III)

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part III)

Quote Originally Posted by korbidp3k View Post
    Speaking of fireworks, I shot the NDP preview fireworks last Saturday. Practicing the black card technique (need more practice :P).
    Anyway, when I zoomed in the pic, I found that the light lines of the fireworks are not straight, more like curvy. I shot together side-by-side with a friend and he's using the same lens, but different body (D300s) and different aperature. His light lines are straight. I don't think it's my tripod because the lights from the building in the background are fine.
    Anyone can share some light as to what may be the reason?

PS. Will post some of the pics later for reference.
    Bro, black card require getting used to and timing is crucial.. to capture multiple frames of fireworks.. cant really tell whats wrong with ur shots, some pics might shed some light, could be settings, angle of shoot or inappropriate use of black card...
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Here are some of the pics straight from the camera, only cropped and resized a bit
    #1:

Zoom of Pic#1:

#2:

Zoom of Pic#2:

As can be seen from the zoom pics, the light lines of the fireworks are not straight, more like curvy. Anyone know why?

I shot together side-by-side with a friend and his light lines are straight. He's using the same lens as me, but different body (D300s) and different aperture (me f/8, he f/11). Could it be because of the aperture?
    エイドリアン-D700|D90|T11-16 f/2.8|S20 f/1.8|35 f/2D|35-70 f/2.8D|50 f/1.4D|85 f/3.5 Micro|70-300VR

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Arrgh. I'm stuck at home another week! Just went to doc, try to see whether he can check me out and stuff but was told to stay home the full two weeks. Which means till next Tue. My whole weekend is burnt! ARRGH!
    Aiyoh.. rest well leh.. still waitng or ur "A grade stuff" ...
    My Flickr|My Son

Here are some of the pics straight from the camera, only cropped and resized a bit
    #1:

Zoom of Pic#1:

#2:

Zoom of Pic#2:

As can be seen from the zoom pics, the light lines of the fireworks are not straight, more like curvy. Anyone know why?

I shot together side-by-side with a friend and his light lines are straight. He's using the same lens as me, but different body (D300s) and different aperture (me f/8, he f/11). Could it be because of the aperture?
    Did you switch off VR when shooting from tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Aiyoh.. rest well leh.. still waitng or ur "A grade stuff" ...
    Yeah, where arh?

Yeah bro, u done more than enough man, well deserved a break.. sit back relax and jus shoot..
    Bored like @#$%... if I get up tmr morning early, I am going to camp with tripod upstairs of my place there.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Oh man, that sucks big time. But hope you'll be over it soon! *patpat*
    Ouch, stuck at home when it's a long weekend...
    Get well soon
    Thanks guys. Take some shots for me to PP? Hehee.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Continue to share.. Don't let this kind of skill go to waste. Pass it down the generation.
    Consider this a gd deed ~ time to spread the goodness to all.. raise ur profile abit.. p.s. though we all quite high profile liao..
    I don't agree with raising profile. If you are good at it, its automatically recognized by people. I find that there are a few of you on CS are super duper good at certain niche of the area while some of them are all rounder which is good as it balance up everything like Yin Yang. Numnumball you are super good also lor. Should share share your knowledge leh..
    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Just glad that we have new blood taking up the mantle of leading and guiding groups of newbies at outings

I remembered Gaowei attending one of my early outings.

We can relax a bit. Don't have to think so much about when is the next outing to organize.

Me? Taking short hiatus from organizing, but not from attending
    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Afterall, with all the Masters here, I also need to level up my 'kung-fu'!
    It shows that what you have taught pays off. Must be proud of it. ^^
    You have contributed quite a lot to society in return from learning.
    A pat on your shoulder.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Did you switch off VR when shooting from tripod?
    The lens i was using doesn't have VR.
    Strange lah this problem, I tried googling cannot find the answer too.
    エイドリアン-D700|D90|T11-16 f/2.8|S20 f/1.8|35 f/2D|35-70 f/2.8D|50 f/1.4D|85 f/3.5 Micro|70-300VR

I think it could be so, different apertures yield slightly different results. For example, a smaller aperture such as f16 will result in thinner fireworks trails, whereas a wider aperture towards f8 will cause the trails to "fatten" out and become more prominent.

And is the buildings behind the fireworks sharp? Wonder is this go to do with ur tripod instability or whether is VR turned on like what Wildcat said..
    My Flickr|My Son

I think it could be so, different apertures yield slightly different results. For example, a smaller aperture such as f16 will result in thinner fireworks trails, whereas a wider aperture towards f8 will cause the trails to "fatten" out and become more prominent.

And is the buildings behind the fireworks sharp? Wonder is this go to do with ur tripod instability or whether is VR turned on like what Wildcat said..
    The buildings looks sharp (at least to me ) and the lens doesn't have VR.
    Here's 100% crop of the buildings.
    Last edited by korbidp3k; 4th August 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Btw wildcat and NNB, thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by skylover View Post
    Numnumball you are super good also lor. Should share share your knowledge leh..
    Nt as good as the rest lar.. i do share u know... but nt as high profile like DD123/ZCA or the rest lar. ..
    My Flickr|My Son

Btw wildcat and NNB, thanks for the suggestions.
    Try stopping down next time 1 or 2 stops from f8
    My Flickr|My Son

Zoom of Pic#1:
    Wow! Red hot like Chili padis! If I were you, I wouldn't dump it - for all we know it would be hard to replicate this effect...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Nt as good as the rest lar.. i do share u know... but nt as high profile like DD123/ZCA or the rest lar. ..
    lolx.. so modest.. hahha.. okok la.. i know you have your own expectation. To me If I have half of some of you people here. I'm quite happy with it liao..

They not high profile leh.. they are more of professor in landscape liao..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Wildcat, take care bro... rest well.
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    Yes, there will be another time, another place to shoot together!
    Vision is more important than gear

What about your friend's photos? Maybe can try some field tests... not sure. Google? Or swap lens and try this weekend.

Maybe try to view RAW also. Not sure if jpeg renditions can cause such problems. Especially since it's zoomed in so much. From the big picture, cannot really see leh. Anti-aliasing stuffs... which I don't really know.

Oh and one more thing... you know that pic #1 & #2?

the buildings not straight
    Gotcha. Kekeke.
    Last edited by wildcat; 4th August 2010 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaz1 View Post
    Yes, there will be another time, another place to shoot together!
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

It can be many things.

One thing could be vibrations from people walking around/cars driving past/bass from music. All these things can introduce vibrations to your tripod. If your tripod is not able to damp enough of those vibrations, you will get minute shakes. These minute vibrations will not make too much of a difference to the buildings, since they are exposed for so long. But for streaks of light you will see them clearly.

Another thing could be vibrations from wind, or wind blowing your strap, and or your strap is swinging around. When on a tripod, make sure you wind it up over something so that it does not swing freely. If you have an optech pro loop strap, remove the main straps.

It could also be that your camera setup is too light. The more mass your ball head and your camera has, it actually improves stability. If your tripod comes with a hook, try to hook some weight below it. Hooking a freely swaying bag is not a good idea also. Best is if your bag is a heavy, and you use some bungee cords and hook to the tripod and the bag, but the bag is resting on the ground.

Also for portrait orientation shots, do you have your camera swung to one side of the ball head? It may be causing some instability there. Try an L-plate. It is more stable. Since even in portrait orientation, the centre of gravity of your camera setup still stays in the center of the center column.

Also check if your extended too much of your center column.

I would rule out VR, small aperture diffraction here. Since you are shooting at F8 and your lens do not have VR.

I think I covered all I can think of...

Do you still have the raw files? Are you having any filter attached? What lens are you using? What are the equipment differences other than camera body?
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast