Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Lens for architectural photography?

  1. #1

    Default Lens for architectural photography?

    I'm looking for a lens for taking photos of buildings and interiors. Does anyone have any experience in this?

    I was thinking, prob need something wider than 28mm to capture the whole room. Also to go down to about f2 or at least f2.8 in case the room is dim. I don't want to use a tripod as it's a hassle...

    Oh yah and budget is very constrained... so the cheaper the better. By the way I have a Canon EOS 10.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    you're probably looking at a 24mm f/2.8 or wider... fisheye lens also won't be of much help to you i guess, since it'll distort your perspective on the interior shots.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    You will preferably streeeetttttttccccccccccchhhhhhhhh your budget and get the Canon Tilt and Shift lenses.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4

    Default

    firefox: can you recommend a specific one? I don't know much about the options available.

    ckiang: But I bet they're verrrrrrryyyyyyy exxxxxxpensive aren't they?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by rumraisin
    firefox: can you recommend a specific one? I don't know much about the options available.

    ckiang: But I bet they're verrrrrrryyyyyyy exxxxxxpensive aren't they?
    Yeah, very expensive. But they lets you do perspective correction, so the pictures will be free from things like converging verticals.

    A Canon 24/2.8 should cost no more than $500-$600.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Lens for architectural photography?

    Originally posted by rumraisin
    I'm looking for a lens for taking photos of buildings and interiors. Does anyone have any experience in this?

    I was thinking, prob need something wider than 28mm to capture the whole room. Also to go down to about f2 or at least f2.8 in case the room is dim. I don't want to use a tripod as it's a hassle...

    Oh yah and budget is very constrained... so the cheaper the better. By the way I have a Canon EOS 10.
    A 28mm perspective control lens and a tripod is how the problem is tackled at a professional level as this setup eliminates converging verticals in walls and so on. However it's expensive with the lens costing around 2000 SGD at least.

    As you don't want to use a tripod (which is suicidal IMHO) then you'll have to look at the 20-24mm range of lenses and hope that you can live with the distortion such lenses produce when shooting indoors.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Re: Lens for architectural photography?

    Originally posted by Ian


    A 28mm perspective control lens and a tripod is how the problem is tackled at a professional level as this setup eliminates converging verticals in walls and so on. However it's expensive with the lens costing around 2000 SGD at least.

    As you don't want to use a tripod (which is suicidal IMHO) then you'll have to look at the 20-24mm range of lenses and hope that you can live with the distortion such lenses produce when shooting indoors.
    Ian, do you know if the 28mm PC lens is compatible with the F100? If not, are there any PC lens that can be used on that body? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Lens for architectural photography?

    Originally posted by Kit


    Ian, do you know if the 28mm PC lens is compatible with the F100? If not, are there any PC lens that can be used on that body? Thanks.
    Wow kit, you moved over to the "other side" liao?

    Regards
    CK

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Lens for architectural photography?

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Wow kit, you moved over to the "other side" liao?

    Regards
    CK
    Just asking......

  10. #10

    Default

    Third party lens, brand = ARSAT. 2.8/35mm. Cheap Perspective control lens, can be bought from ebay. Available in many mounts, including Nikon.



    more info at:
    http://www.kievcamera.com/camera.php?ID=17
    Last edited by Kho King; 21st May 2002 at 10:55 PM.
    DR KOH KHO KING

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Re: Re: Lens for architectural photography?

    Originally posted by Kit


    Ian, do you know if the 28mm PC lens is compatible with the F100? If not, are there any PC lens that can be used on that body? Thanks.
    Hiya Kit

    The F100 has no problems using any PC lens made since about 1977 as they are on an AI or AIS mount. However, like the Canon version the lens is a preset diaphram lens, so it has to be placed in the 'neutral' position and then metered using stop down metering to determine the correct exposure, then the lens is set up for the shot and the shot made.

    The one cheap alternative is the Arsat, though to be honest I'd avoid the Arsat lenses like the plague, horrible cheap crap with awful build quality and some serious quality control issues.
    Image quality is fair to average however though a lot lower than the Nikon or Canon lenses and is on par with the rubbish images produced by Zenits.
    Last edited by Ian; 22nd May 2002 at 12:22 AM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Originally posted by Kho King
    Third party lens, brand = ARSAT. 2.8/35mm. Cheap Perspective control lens, can be bought from ebay. Available in many mounts, including Nikon.
    Guess you've never used one Khoking.

    The Arsat 35TS is plagued with quality control issues, is roughly constructed and even rougher in operation. Image quality is at best average and the lens flares badly and suffers from almost unacceptable levels of field curvature for a perspective control lens, though to be fair it's about 1/2 the price of a used Nikkor or Canon equivalent. I've used about 6 of these lenses and only one was any good.
    Last edited by Ian; 22nd May 2002 at 12:27 AM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Kho King, thanks for the suggestion.

    Ian, I came across a list of lenses that cannot be used on the F100 on its manual and the list includes.........

    PC 28mm f/4 (No. 180900 or smaller)
    PC 35mm f/2.8 (No. 851001 - 906200)

    I assume that those numbers in bracket are serial numbers and I would be fine as long as mine doesn't fall into that series?

    Yeah, I was told to do the metering before any T&S action on the Canon. Could you explain what you mean by stop down metering? Stopping down the aperture and work from there? Thanks for the clarification. How's the weather in Perth?

  14. #14

    Default

    if anyone could tell me where i can get a PC lens to could be used for the bronica SQ-Ai...i will extremely grateful!!!!!!


    Ramrasin
    And also...if you really want to take proper interior/architecture, a tripod is a definite must....you still could get away without a PC lens, but not a tripod

  15. #15

    Default

    If you are using digital, or don't mind scanning and working in Photoshop, you can get a cheap Sigma 15mm fisheye and correct digitally:

    http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/architect/arch.html

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by insanne
    if anyone could tell me where i can get a PC lens to could be used for the bronica SQ-Ai...i will extremely grateful!!!!!!


    Ramrasin
    And also...if you really want to take proper interior/architecture, a tripod is a definite must....you still could get away without a PC lens, but not a tripod
    There's this Horseman View Camera convertor which works with MF cameras which gives you some tilt/shift functions of view cameras. Expensive though.

    Regards
    CK

  17. #17

    Default

    I guess I should use a tripod, but I'm actually going on backpacking and was thinking it'll be extremely heavy to lug around.

    OK so the options are:
    -cheap 15mm fisheye and correct in photoshop
    -20-24mm lens eg. 24mm f2.8
    -TS-E lens (great but way out of budget)

    I think I'm going to use my film SLR, so the 20-24mm lens seems like the best way to go.

    Thanks for the tips guys!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Personally, between the fisheys and the wide angle, I would go for the wide angle. 24mm to be exact.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit

    Ian, I came across a list of lenses that cannot be used on the F100 on its manual and the list includes.........

    PC 28mm f/4 (No. 180900 or smaller)
    PC 35mm f/2.8 (No. 851001 - 906200)

    I assume that those numbers in bracket are serial numbers and I would be fine as long as mine doesn't fall into that series?

    Yeah, I was told to do the metering before any T&S action on the Canon. Could you explain what you mean by stop down metering? Stopping down the aperture and work from there? Thanks for the clarification. How's the weather in Perth?
    You assume right on the numbers Kit, they are the serial numbers and what it means is that the 28/4 cannot be used at all, while AI and AIS versions of the 28/2.8 can be used.

    With a T&S lens metering is done by the following method.

    1) Point the lens up at the object and focus with the lens wide open

    2) Select desiered aperture and stop lens down

    3) Meter scene with lens stopped down according to the camera manual for stop down metering.

    4) Level camera on a tripod with a bubble level in the desired format (horiz/vertical)

    5) Rotate the lens until the shift is opposite the direction of convergance.

    6) Read off the maximum amount of shift allowed for the lens position.

    7) Adjust shift to remove convergance and if possible do not shift more than the maximum from step 6

    8) Take shot.

    Simple huh

    The weather here is clear and quite warm days but cold at night, how about over east?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Ahhh......ok. Thanks for the info once again. Sounds like a technical and fun lens to use Will look up the manual on stop down metering again. I think I missed that part.

    Its been wet for the past few days here. About 15 deg max. Not that cold but cold enough to bring on a good o'asthma again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •