Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to judge a picture if its edited in any tool or original

Default Re: How to judge a picture if its edited in any tool or original

Ask for film negatives.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Ask for film negatives.
    There are many ways to influence this process as well to achieve images that differ a lot from a standard snap. Starting from pushing film up to using coffee and other unusual liquids.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    There are many ways to influence this process as well to achieve images that differ a lot from a standard snap. Starting from pushing film up to using coffee and other unusual liquids.
    In short, cross processing.

Anyway just wait for TS to reply first ba, I am seriously interested in the reason for setting up such rules. My guess is that TS only wants a 1 shot 1 kill photo. The title for the competition should be called 1 shot 1 kill photography competition.

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    In short, cross processing.
    No, not necessarily. The processing with coffee is for B/W film.
    Last edited by Octarine; 4th August 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    EOS

Camera also do processing of jpg images - like saturation, sharpening. Some have 'advance' features like light optimising. Some cameras have grid to help in leveling horizon and 100% view finder to give advantage in composition (if no cropping allowed). I would use photoshop for light levels correction/adjustment, horizon straightening and cropping. For such strict rules of 'no editing' then it would disadvantage some camera owner (assuming skill levels are near equal).

Maybe such rules should only be for camera of a certain model so that it is a level platform for all shooters. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    All film negatives to be supplied by competition organiser and submitted unprocessed. Organiser will process all submitted rolls by independent processing lab with supervision and certification. Judges will decide on both negatives and their prints with the same certification processes to ensure authenticity. Digital? Tough, unless cameras with settings fixed to be supplied by organiser, and also proper certification process put in line to process images downloaded from those cameras.

Rules and restriction will always retard creativity in such competition.
    Home is where the heart is.

Sadly, it will not be a level playing field for any competitions; Those with better gears will always have a slight advantage. It's a fact in life.

For some competitions, I can see that the judges have a soft spot for picking winning shots that are taken with ultra wide angle lens. The perspective is just extra ordinary!(doesn't matter if there is a lot of distortion) Those without the lens, sadly, I will say "Save up for one".

Trying to impose a ban on photo editing doesn't sound realistic to me. As technology improves, we should embrace it, to a certain extend.(I am not saying we can cheat using PS)

This bring to my mind about the past when auto focusing was becoming a new trend in cameras. Those who shoot with manual focus lens insist that "auto focusing" is a kind of cheating. Also, some even hold the view that using matrix metering is a no brainer, that a professional will not use at all. This list goes.........

So, can we draw a line between what makes a better photographer? If you want to go to the very basic, you shouldn't be using auto focusing at all. Right?

;
    Last edited by johnlim; 6th August 2010 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    So, can we draw a line between what makes a better photographer? If you want to go to the very basic, you shouldn't be using auto focusing at all. Right?

;
    Ha, why use a camera? What's wrong with paintbrush and canvas?

Quote Originally Posted by nrclhr View Post
    Thanks for your valuable feedback and comments, I totally agree that its very hard to judge the picture if its altered/edited or not.

We did not have any hard rule for photo competition, we just instructed them to send the picture without editing, no RAW format, No Cropping, no resizing etc. we just wanted a picture which is purely taken from the camera only.

But we found that few pictures were edited in Photoshop by checking their properties and they told us that they just saved as the picture in Photoshop thats why their EXIF info is missing. So we disqualified those pictures.

So I just wanted to take a second opinion from you guys and appreciated your feedback. Many Thanks

Regards,
    Naveed
    In this respect, it is 'fair' to disqualify.
    Unfortunately, I'd say its rather illogical and most likely not work towards displaying the best the image could have been.
    It can also be a bad press/ wasted opportunity for your company by displaying what viewers may interpret as 'sub-standard' pictures.

Remember we are talking about No Processing on computer.
    Simple adjustments like crop, w/b, levels, curves can really make a already good photo become a "GREAT" photo.
    So imagine your company displays these good photos at an exhibition (promotion event), while in fact it could have gotten better reception with GREAT photos.
    Just my few cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jaegersing View Post
    Ha, why use a camera? What's wrong with paintbrush and canvas?
    That's exactly my point. (although photogaphy is different from painting)

Post-processing is a part of photography in digital age; This skill photogaphers has to acquire.(at least the basic skill)

Blog Entries

Cannot get away from PS one la.

Even many film shooters use import function in Photoshop to scan their film negatives. After that, they save in PS. EXIF will show PS is used.

Even with RAW files, different software converter will render the RAW files differently. Nikon NEF RAW files will inherit in-camera settings when converted using CaptureNX2 or ViewNX2. If you open it up in Lightroom, it will default brightness to +50 and contrast to +25. So which is the one you are going to based your judging on? Are going purchase every RAW converters out there so no one gets disqualified unfairly??

If you want pure out of cam pictures. You might as well set up a pure film competition and ask entrants to send in their film negatives.

If you take a wax seal and seal the memory card slot for each participant, and they must break the seal in the presence of the judges and immediately submit the SD card, then yeah.. that might work...

It still does not mean I cannot tweak in-camera.
    On a camera like the K7, I can actually review the last photo taken (which is in RAW), adjust it for tone, contrast, sharpness and save that photo. Multiple times if necessary on different settings and for other settings like WB and special effects filters as well. So that is counted as straight from camera?

You might want to look at the rules on some photo competition sites to get an idea of setting the rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12