Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serangoon
    Posts
    3,042

    Question do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Q from friend - Do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    I tried once at Chinatown a few years ago where they held the Wayang...I did ask permission to take at the front below the stage but not on the top at the back stage.
    Usually the backstage is off limits to outsiders so as not to block the passage way for the artists to move in/out from/to the front stage; at the same time for the artists and helpers to assist in changing of the costumes and sets.

    Unless you know some organisers of the event and they are agreeable and bring you up to the back stage.

    If you buy the ticket to watch the wayang and bring along your camera to take, its best to shoot quickly and handheld shots. Monopod and tripod are too cumbersome to move around.

    Courtesy wise, ask before you take any photos, they allowed me the last time and I saw some fans of wayang take photos of their idols too with their compact cameras.

  3. #3

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    backstage i think just get the performers or in charge to say ok thats fine. i have shot the backstage just by asking 1 lady performer on the spot. they are generally very nice people. i don't think they are bureaucrats with red tape. anyone can shoot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serangoon
    Posts
    3,042

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Chan View Post
    I tried once at Chinatown a few years ago where they held the Wayang...I did ask permission to take at the front below the stage but not on the top at the back stage.
    Usually the backstage is off limits to outsiders so as not to block the passage way for the artists to move in/out from/to the front stage; at the same time for the artists and helpers to assist in changing of the costumes and sets.

    Unless you know some organisers of the event and they are agreeable and bring you up to the back stage.

    If you buy the ticket to watch the wayang and bring along your camera to take, its best to shoot quickly and handheld shots. Monopod and tripod are too cumbersome to move around.

    Courtesy wise, ask before you take any photos, they allowed me the last time and I saw some fans of wayang take photos of their idols too with their compact cameras.
    ...not to block the passage way....

    thanks !

    tungtong2010
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tungtong View Post
    ...not to block the passage way....

    thanks !

    tungtong2010
    basic courtesy to ask whoever who hired the wayang ppl at least? they paid for them to perform.

  6. #6

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Put yourself in others shoes and you will know the answer.

    Respect others and respect yourself.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tungtong View Post
    Q from friend - Do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?
    at the front, you are consider as audiences, need not any clearance, unless you are referring to sitting, or standing on the empty chairs at the front row duration "7th month Wayang", you need to ask permission from the "good brothers"....


    at backstage, consider private compound, you need to seek permission to enter and shoot.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serangoon
    Posts
    3,042

    Default Re: do we need any clearance to shoot "Wayang" ? both front and back stage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Put yourself in others shoes and you will know the answer.

    Respect others and respect yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    at the front, you are consider as audiences, need not any clearance, unless you are referring to sitting, or standing on the empty chairs at the front row duration "7th month Wayang", you need to ask permission from the "good brothers"....


    at backstage, consider private compound, you need to seek permission to enter and shoot.

    hope this help.
    Respect others , respect yourself ,respect"good brothers"(hungry Ghost) and respect God

    & wayang show is not for us Is for god 谢神
    thanks !

    tungtong 2010

    .
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •