Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

Pentax not famous?

In the old film days very few people didn't know Pentax, and K1000 was the most sold and used film camera for photography students. Pentax Takumars are still some of the most favorite lenses by even modern photo hobbyists. And Pentax 50s lenses took three slots among the greatest 50mm lenses ever.

It's only in this digital era most people buy things based on ads or things that pros or celebrities have or use, instead of their own needs. Don't you know whatever you buy from CNS, you are paying for a portion of those big ads in newspapers, tv commercials, street posts or bus ads. Most modern Pentax users bought Pentax because they do their researches before they buy, and they don't follow the crowds. IMO most Pentax users are more mature than the majorities in the same age, which isn't a bad thing.

But this is definitely not good for Pentax brand. Pentax needs more exposure to get more young people to know the brand. Hoya has been doing a lot better in the past year than Pentax did a few years ago, they even opened an Apple/Sony Gallery like Pentax Shop in NY: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...p_opens_in_ny/

But when Pentax become as common as CN, I probably would dump it and go for something else (more interesting but different from the crowds ).

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    And Pentax 50s lenses took three slots among the greatest 50mm lenses ever.
    Hey... I got #3... it was a bit run down... someone offered me $25 for it
    I took it a part, clean it up and bring it out now instead of my FA 50mm 1.4

But when Pentax become as common as CN, I probably would dump it and go for something else (more interesting but different from the crowds ).
    You are not serious are you ?

Pentax not famous?
    Eh bro can give early heads up when you got firesale for your pentax equipment when the time comes? I will queue outside your house like how people queue for the first gen iPhone man!
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    Eh bro can give early heads up when you got firesale for your pentax equipment when the time comes? I will queue outside your house like how people queue for the first gen iPhone man!
    Count me in . I take Q number 2

lol .
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by snapnut View Post
    You are not serious are you ?
    Yes, you bet I am. But I'm sure Pentax won't be as flooded as CN anytime soon

Well, actually I'm in the middle of some financial crisis now. Probably have to off load some stuff soon

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post

lol .
    Like buying an iPhone 4?

lol .
    Aiyoh, you guys still behind time, queue up like buying private property ah, you want good stuff must go to developer direct before launch! Hint! Hint!
    By the time take queue number all snapped up liao...

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Aiyoh, you guys still behind time, queue up like buying private property ah, you want good stuff must go to developer direct before launch! Hint! Hint!
    By the time take queue number all snapped up liao...
    Ok lah, today after work I just barge into FW house. Address pleaseeeee.................

(Hopefully no one is at home, I'll just carry his whole dry cabinet home)
    Body - K-x, KX, ME

Ok lah, today after work I just barge into FW house. Address pleaseeeee.................

how many litres is his dry cabinet?

u'll need help. i help you?

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post

I arrange lorry
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post

I arrange lorry
    What if his dri-cabi is chained to something in the house? How to carry?
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

When you post such a question on an otherwise dedicated sub forum, dedicated to a specific brand, you are bound to be hounded by supporters and ultra-brandalists.

Why is Pentax not famous, TS?

That's because unlike the other three big names of DSLR market (Sony is also making strides in their lineup), Pentax eschews marketing, preferring to have word-of-mouth (essentially, free advertising) spread, and focuses instead on creating cameras.

Given that they have a varied background expertise in optics, it's no surprise that the DSLR (or even consumer digital camera) lineup is minute: they have businesses in the medical markets, astronomy and spectacle optics to supplement their income nicely. (Don't forget about their acquisition by Hoya Corporation. A lot of time wasted, but I am a true neutral on this matter.)

Nonetheless, they have a fantastic history of camera-making. They are not a slouch (as illustrated by others, just ask people who use medium-format cameras - the next step after 35mm format DSLR), and given their backwards-compatibility with older lenses (M42 mount is just one of them), they are a cult favorite with photography hobbyists. In short, if you know what you are doing, and you know the science of photography up to intermediate level, then this is a very formidable brand to consider buying.

Now off to CAnon subforum.
    EOS 450D|Dual Kit Lens|EF 50mm F/1.8 II|Minolta 135mm MD Tele-Rokkor|Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    What if his dri-cabi is chained to something in the house? How to carry?
    Thanks for helping us to plan the great heist. I think I will contact interested parties via PM to discuss on our plan. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by sougen View Post
    When you post such a question on an otherwise dedicated sub forum, dedicated to a specific brand, you are bound to be hounded by supporters and ultra-brandalists.

Why is Pentax not famous, TS?

That's because unlike the other three big names of DSLR market (Sony is also making strides in their lineup), Pentax eschews marketing, preferring to have word-of-mouth (essentially, free advertising) spread, and focuses instead on creating cameras.

Given that they have a varied background expertise in optics, it's no surprise that the DSLR (or even consumer digital camera) lineup is minute: they have businesses in the medical markets, astronomy and spectacle optics to supplement their income nicely. (Don't forget about their acquisition by Hoya Corporation. A lot of time wasted, but I am a true neutral on this matter.)

Nonetheless, they have a fantastic history of camera-making. They are not a slouch (as illustrated by others, just ask people who use medium-format cameras - the next step after 35mm format DSLR), and given their backwards-compatibility with older lenses (M42 mount is just one of them), they are a cult favorite with photography hobbyists. In short, if you know what you are doing, and you know the science of photography up to intermediate level, then this is a very formidable brand to consider buying.

Now off to CAnon subforum.

Good perspective
    Body - K-x, KX, ME

Same here. The underdog status led me here. Well, that and the K10D winning the 2007(?) TIPA awards.

Quote Originally Posted by sougen View Post
    My loyalty is always up to the lowest bidder, as long as it does what I want/need.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Thanks for helping us to plan the great heist. I think I will contact interested parties via PM to discuss on our plan. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaa
    i go t-loan a bolt cutter...

Guess I will be clicking the refresh button on the Pentax BnS section very often... Waiting for FW's magical collection of lenses... Hope to catch some good stuffs... Hehehe...
    WilsonG
    Pentax K5 (DA50-200, FA50/F1.4, Tamron 17-50/F2.8)

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonG View Post
    Guess I will be clicking the refresh button on the Pentax BnS section very often... Waiting for FW's magical collection of lenses... Hope to catch some good stuffs... Hehehe...
    HAHAHA PM him directly hahahahahaha
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonG View Post
    You can start w/ my VL 58/1.4

FW, where can i get a brand new 1 of ur lens?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    FW, where can i get a brand new 1 of ur lens?
    Which one?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast