Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 107

Thread: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

  1. #1

    Default [Noob question] why pentax still not as famous?

    I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentax. what is pentax lacking exactly?
    Last edited by Overlord4101; 4th August 2010 at 03:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Its Pentax not Pentex.I think its not as popular cos they don't advertise on buses/trains/taxis/newspaper/etc... whereas Canikon/Sony/Oly/Panny does that

  3. #3

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentex. what is pentex lacking exactly?
    Its not the camera that makes the brand famous, its the user.

    I am shooting the SYOG + several events with the K20D Pentax camera and even more after the Games.

    As to what it or the other brand lacks, have to use then will know. For me i know which is why i am getting better and better.
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd August 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentax is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentax. what is pentax lacking exactly?
    For background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax

    its not a new company and its not a small company. they're obviously not selling as many cameras as C and N, but its a credible company with a very impressive product line.

    imo, they're lacking marketing and flashy ads... no avril lauvigne, no ken watanabe, no sponsoring CSI on AXN but on the other hand, thats not really something that i, as the consumer, am willing to pay for anyway.

  5. #5

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    The question to ask would probably be, would Pentax be able to achieve more by spending more on advertising? Probably the only thing that pentax lacks now is cheap autofocus primes, which they already know how to make - see F series - but refuse to make anymore. If increased spending on ads leads to greenlighting a range of cheap lenses, I wouldn't mind the cost

  6. #6

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    i prefer to call this the "sheep trap"

    it goes something like this:

    1) somewhere in history, one or more brands become top dogs
    2) the top dog brands gain popularity, and then they spend a lot of money advertising, passing on the costs to the hapless consumers
    3) the hapless consumers use the camera, and then it is not too bad despite the fact that other brands offer the same thing for a lower price
    4) the hapless consumers yak about how "wonderful" the camera is, how great the top dog brand is
    5) thereby poisoning more hapless consumers
    6) and top dog remains top dog, until something upsetting happens

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    I think your question should be changed to 'why pentax camera is not as popular (as N&C)'.

    Check these out...

    http://www.coolframes.com/?results&p...=&&order=&dir=

    http://www.pentaxmedical.com/?page=s...art&Itemid=148

    http://www.telescope-service.com/pen...ntaxstart.html

    Anyone working in a respectable optical shop or a hospital, or is into astrology should know the brand. Pentax has a very long history and is certainly famous!
    Last edited by sbc; 2nd August 2010 at 09:43 PM.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post
    I think your question should be changed to 'why pentax camera is not as popular (as N&C)'.

    Check these out...

    http://www.coolframes.com/?results&p...=&&order=&dir=

    http://www.pentaxmedical.com/?page=s...art&Itemid=148

    http://www.telescope-service.com/pen...ntaxstart.html

    Anyone working in a respectable optical shop or a hospital, or is into astrology should know the brand. Pentax has a very long history and is certainly famous!
    SBC - Indeed. In fact, I own a pair of lens (specs glasses) from Pentax optics from Paris Miki (I believe quite a reputable optical shop)

  9. #9

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    So just to clarify, actually pentax has does not lack in quality of cameras, eg good autofocus etc. but its just not well known enough. am i right?

  10. #10

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    So just to clarify, actually pentax has does not lack in quality of cameras, eg good autofocus etc. but its just not well known enough. am i right?
    definitely.

    pentax, like many other brands' entry level/mid-range models.. (since you mentioned AF), had so-so performance for AF in LOW LIGHT. good light, no problem. this should be a null issue with the k-7 and k-x.

  11. #11

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    famous brand would not make you a better photographer.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    SBC - Indeed. In fact, I own a pair of lens (specs glasses) from Pentax optics from Paris Miki (I believe quite a reputable optical shop)

    I have been trying to get my friend to carry the Pentax brand in his spectacle shop.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    actually there is this handbag brand that has no advertisement, no brand label, but its more expensive than LV... my wifes tell me the name and i never heard it b4, only the very rich tai tai's will buy it...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Yes, I heard about that brand of bag too. I have to ask my wife the brand name again. It is ultra expensive and they dont really advertise.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  15. #15

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    actually there is this handbag brand that has no advertisement, no brand label, but its more expensive than LV... my wifes tell me the name and i never heard it b4, only the very rich tai tai's will buy it...
    no brand label?

    oh, as in the bag has no label of the brand.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no brand label?

    oh, as in the bag has no label of the brand.
    yap... nothing... but from the design u can tell... thats where my wife pointed it to me... and no she doesn't own 1...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  17. #17

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post

    I have been trying to get my friend to carry the Pentax brand in his spectacle shop.
    does your friend carry Nikon? a lot of the shops i go to recommend Zeiss and a few honestly replied that it was the one they had.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  18. #18

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord4101 View Post
    I've read reviews on k-x and all and the iso performance is comparable to canon,nikkon. How come pentex is still not as big? anyone can explain to me? i may consider to buy one and would like to know the future in pentex. what is pentex lacking exactly?
    How to be famous when you cant even spell Pentax correctly...

  19. #19

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    I guess all pentaxians like it the way it is.

  20. #20

    Default Re: [Noob question] why pentex still not as famous?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    yap... nothing... but from the design u can tell... thats where my wife pointed it to me... and no she doesn't own 1...
    wa, i wonder what brand it is.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •