Thread: Anything worth buyin in Taipei

TiltedSun
    Guests

Default Anything worth buyin in Taipei

Hi guys,
    I'm going to Taipei next week for a short trip. Does anyone know if the photograpy or computer stuff is cheaper there? Where are the places to get them?

Also, any places or things that die die must go or do there

Thanks a lot

Camera stuff is quite ex over there unless you are talking about consumer cams. Computer equipment is cheaper there.

Taipei - Just get a tourist guide you would be fine. If you are more into the street stuff, try the night markets for their food. Taipei 101 just for its height. Should be open by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TiltedSun
    Hi guys,
    I'm going to Taipei next week for a short trip. Does anyone know if the photograpy or computer stuff is cheaper there? Where are the places to get them?

Also, any places or things that die die must go or do there

Thanks a lot
    Hey man,
    You are so lucky, going to Taipei, although I am not so sure whether you are going there for work or leisure. But mark my words, you will enjoy yourself there.

Based on what I have known, foreign goods are usually more expensive in Taiwan if you compare with Singapore. Goods sold in departmental stores are much more costly than the ones you see along their streets.

However, since piracy is so common in Taiwan, if you intend to buy photography or computer goods there, you may need to consider very carefully. Also, you must also consider if anything happens to the goods that you bought, whom are you going to approach? Furthermore, chinese is their mother tongue so I believe all the instruction manuals are going to be in chinese as well.

The food there is wonderful! You will love it there! You must definitely try their hawker food!

Hope I have not confused you even further.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

TiltedSun
    Guests

Thanks TMC17479 and Mich_2103 for yr valuable inputs

Mich_2103: I'm going there for work, so nothing much to envy abt

TMC17479: Do you know if the LCD monitor cheaper there? Any idea where is their computer hardware center, our Sim Lim equavalent? Would u know any website that that I can check out the prices? Thanks for all the help

Also, thinkin of getting my camera bag there. I believe they should hv more choices compare to Sg

Btw, any jazz fans around, can recommend some nice jazz bars ?

Talking

Hi TiltedSun;

If you are in Taipei city, I think you can always take cab to a place called
    光华商场 "Guang Hua Shang Chang".
    They sold many computer stuffs there but as for the price there I'm not so sure now. Cos I haven't been for the pass 6 yrs.

Noooo!!! Don't go to that place, you will get ripped if you are a tourist there. Just go to the Taipei Main Station, beside the Xing Guang San Yue dept store, there's a building called Nova, a Sim Lim square type of place.

There's a congregation of photoequipment stores around that area too, from Nova, walk west a few blocks towards the Xi Men Ding area, you should be able to see the stores. Beware there's a mixture of audio visual stores and photoequipment stores, so check out the place first before entering.

Cam bags, not too sure but there's a lot of local produced bags there. Can try those out.

Jazz.....can check with your contact there. I'm more knowlegable of the clubs there.

TiltedSun
    Guests

Thanks TMC17479
    Will definitely check out the places this weekend.

Meerkat: Thanks for the info as well

Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479
    Noooo!!! Don't go to that place, you will get ripped if you are a tourist there. Just go to the Taipei Main Station, beside the Xing Guang San Yue dept store, there's a building called Nova, a Sim Lim square type of place.

There's a congregation of photoequipment stores around that area too, from Nova, walk west a few blocks towards the Xi Men Ding area, you should be able to see the stores. Beware there's a mixture of audio visual stores and photoequipment stores, so check out the place first before entering.

Cam bags, not too sure but there's a lot of local produced bags there. Can try those out.

Jazz.....can check with your contact there. I'm more knowlegable of the clubs there.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479

No leh, I just checked out Nova a couple of weeks ago, quite expensive leh. Guanghua Shangchang still cheaper by a bit. If you go there however, you have to do a bit of research, do know the reasonable prices. Memory cards and computer stuff are generally cheaper, by maybe 5~10% than Singapore.
    But when you are at Guanghua Shangchang, insist on asking whether the product is covered by the distributor' s warranty or the shop's (gray market), there are bootleg products around one.