Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help from Leica...

Default A little help from Leica...

Hi,

this happened to me while I tried to bring in my camera bag into a convention. There were ushers stationed at the entrance checking bags for security reasons and soon it was my turn.

I opened my bag and the usher saw my DSLR and very firmly but politely said, "Sorry sir, your camera cannot be taken in, it's a professional camera. We don't allow professional cameras in here, only small little cameras and yours is a professional camera. You have 2 options, either bring back to your car if you drove or, you could deposit it into one of the lockers by the entrance."

It felt pretty ridiculous to me so I asked, "Are you sure?". She got kind of worried and pulled another fellow usher over. He took a look into my camera bag and I got the same reaction. It's a professional camera, cannot bring in...

I got my M6 down in one of the secluded corners of the bag and decided to try something. I pulled the M6 out, dangled it by the strap in front of me and asked, "So this small little camera can bring in?". Her face immediately lit up and with a big cute smile on her face cheerfully replied, "Can! Can! No problem! This little camera can bring in one, no problem!".

So I sling the M6 over my shoulders, took out all my M lenses and a couple of rolls of film, deposited my bag in the locker 'cos I dun drive, entered the convention, shot what I came to shoot and left without a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thought? Erm..... they don't know their cameras well?

Deregistered

small == cute camera.

maybe they like stylish cameras?

Big Cameras shout for themselves: "Keep me, Ban me and rob me!!!"

... if only I am the usher, I will without question confiscate your M6 for repeated offence ...

I wonder what's this thing about "professional cameras" not being allowed to places where small p&s are. In most places, the authorities love to ban SLR-type cameras for no reason.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    I wonder what's this thing about "professional cameras" not being allowed to places where small p&s are. In most places, the authorities love to ban SLR-type cameras for no reason.

Regards
    CK
    Because they have what we called double standards and lack of professionalism.

Another time I was stopped from shooting inside a shopping centre. 2 security guards advanced towards me from flank side and told me to stop shooting. 2! And one from each side! I mean, why such hostility? What was I going to do with the camera? Suck their souls with a click or fire a weapon? Anyway I stopped and walked around abit then what I saw really pisses me off. There were people with P & S cameras shooting away and the same group of security guards did nothing!

Another time I was going to an assignment and while waiting with a fellow colleague of mine for the client to arrive in an office building, I saw a leaf that the sun was shining on from the window roof of the building. The colours and patterns resulting from it were very interesting and I took out my camera and fired off a few shots. A security guard walking around the lift lobby shouted from a distance, "Hey! What you shooting?!!!"

I looked up and saw him hurrying over and with raised voice asked me what I was shooting again. I told him I was shooting the leaf and showed him on my DSLR's screen. Still not very happy he said, "Shoot leave can ah, don't shoot the building, cannot ah!". That was such a put off.

I remember some friends who've been to Europe who went shooting in buildings, at people etc and they don't get such reactions. So why such policies here?

Even here in Europe, it depends on the building. Tourist places are fine, but not in government building or in office buildings. You can shoot from the outside (you are not trespassing) but not inside (you are technically in govt or private property and they have the right to enforce the no photography rule as it's private property).

By all records, America might be even worse now post 911. They are paranoid that you are an advance scout for one of the terrorists groups.

morale of the story:

leica not pro enough lah hehehe!

Anyway, if I'm truly a spy or whatever, I would be using minature cameras or simple point and shoots. Less conspicous.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    morale of the story:

leica not pro enough lah hehehe!

Unhappy Ah... glad that someone brought it up...

Had a bone to pick with the local nutheads too....

My bro' took part in a Ballroom dance competition and I happily bought ticket to watch and to record his performance and to have fun shooting other people too. Especially since they have indicated that photography is allowed.

Ok, so I was rather zealous , I brought:
    canon eos 5 - loaded with TMax 400
    canon eos 30 and ex 550 with bounce card and a battery pack - loaded with Supra 400
    lens: 28-135mm IS and 70-300mm... you know consumer stuff for the poor man.

Decided to leave the tripod at home...

Happily started shooting away during the warm ups. Was looking kinda like X'mas tree with stuff hanging all over me, standing on the chair... well about sticking out like a sore thumb

One goon came running to me and asked me if I was an official photographer?
    "Was not."
    He said that they bought rights to the event and I was not allowed to shoot! Well, I could understand that if they had banned all photography but none of that was stated and I insisted so. He said he was kinda concerned with what I would do with the images. Felt this was kinda stupid because I was shooting film and ppl there who are mostly to buy the pixs are the international participants and that require instant print out aka digital.

Went with the guy to see the organiser and we had a big argument. Was insisting that my stuff were consumer, taking for personal use and it was clearly stated that photography was allowed.

Organiser said ze No photography sign not put up yet because hotel screw up... (kinda idiot as well, cause after they put up the sign "Strictly No Photography No Videotaping", they also made an announcement over the PA saying that photography allowed, videography must pay $)

Finally, we settled that I was to identify my bro and his classmates and only shoot them. With one camera at a time and keep the other (DUH! have you seen someone shooting with 2 SLRs simultaneously?) so I agreed! So I took out the cammies one at a time lor....

anyhow, at the end of the event, went over to check out their images and thought since they are trying to make a living, if they were any good, I would buy them for my bro but didn't find anything to me liking.

Didn't want to pick a big fight cause I juz want to take pics for my bro.
    But whole episode left a bad taste and i felt so stressed out during the shoot . What's the big deal? These guys are insecure over their own skills or what? I was clearly using consumer lens (and no way a p&s could have captured any decent images in there). Photography allowed was printed and made known to all. Why ostracise some guy with an SLR (or two)?

Duh... if I sold those images there, they are welcome to take legal actions but to be rude and anal? This was not my first time taking pics of my bro's ballroom competitions and there had NEVER been any trouble. We have gladly bought images from the official photographers whenever we felt they were good (regardless of what I took!).

Quote Originally Posted by ian.low
    Hi,

this happened to me while I tried to bring in my camera bag into a convention. There were ushers stationed at the entrance checking bags for security reasons and soon it was my turn.

I opened my bag and the usher saw my DSLR and very firmly but politely said, "Sorry sir, your camera cannot be taken in, it's a professional camera. We don't allow professional cameras in here, only small little cameras and yours is a professional camera. You have 2 options, either bring back to your car if you drove or, you could deposit it into one of the lockers by the entrance."

It felt pretty ridiculous to me so I asked, "Are you sure?". She got kind of worried and pulled another fellow usher over. He took a look into my camera bag and I got the same reaction. It's a professional camera, cannot bring in...

I got my M6 down in one of the secluded corners of the bag and decided to try something. I pulled the M6 out, dangled it by the strap in front of me and asked, "So this small little camera can bring in?". Her face immediately lit up and with a big cute smile on her face cheerfully replied, "Can! Can! No problem! This little camera can bring in one, no problem!".

So I sling the M6 over my shoulders, took out all my M lenses and a couple of rolls of film, deposited my bag in the locker 'cos I dun drive, entered the convention, shot what I came to shoot and left without a problem.

Any thoughts?
    Digital sucks?

Default pls

hey.. language please and no flaming....
    Trying to keep the peace lest another digital versus film war/debate...

A security guard walking around the lift lobby shouted from a distance, "Hey! What you shooting?!!!"
    Seriously, most of the security guards in S'pore need to be trained in PR also.

Imagine a boring life in a shopping centre for 8 to 12 hrs a day. They too, need to feel the power, to have the feeling that they are in control of the situation, to have power over the other party.

This is so sad...

i guess the main reason would be more of manners.

look at most of those photographers with their gigantic slr at events. often u will see them rushing up, crossing the lines and shoot as if they have the privillage. not to mention that we have our powerful flash that annoy other people.

also, for the security guards, it's easier to isolate a bunch of wannabe-pro with their slr than a whole bunch of consumer camera users.

i was at one of the talk held by my sch. there was 3 photographer there, 2 of them holding their wonderful dslr, big lens and big flash. the other one was a lecturer holding a olympus 5050/750(dunno which one was it).

throughout the entire talk, the 3 of them were annoying the rest of us by shooting away with the flash, esp the lecturer who was using her camera's wonderful preflash.

i did have my camera with me that day, but i did not bother shooting at all. those 3 were bad enough to ruin the talk. i have no idea wat's so interesting about shooting the speakers on the stand over and over.

moral of the story, flash is annoying. and people associate flash with photograhy and ultimately, photography with annoying.

~MooEy~

Hi,

Any thoughts?
    if i were you i wouldn't bother with the DSLR nowadays a lens or two in pocket, plus a few rolls of film tucked in those same pockets are all that I need. Plus, of course the M6 with lens slung and tucked conveniently under jacket (if indoors) or slung casually.

most wouldn't bother me even if i were shooting in their face! the only pple who will walk up to chat, however, are the older folks, whose questions take the form of "my dad / me used to use a camera like urs......."

the younger generation (mine! :P) tend to ask why not digital.
    the younger kids wonder why they can't see the picture after i take one.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

sighz.. the more 'pro' you look the more likely you are going to get harassed.
    Morale of the story: Rangefinders are still the best for unobtusive street shooting...

Hm... think about it, guards prevent you from shooting cos they thought that you are a spy from some terrorist group. A big big cam take great pics and they are afraid that you might send it to someone to plan a bombing. Oh yeah...ever heard about use the pics and mod them using photoshop?

But i believe that consumer cams can be great as well....small. When you wanna take a pic, look around for "big bossy" and quickly take your shot, then hide it in your jacket.

Terrorists use Minoxes for interior map shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast