Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Tight Container With Thirsty Hippo

Default Re: Air Tight Container With Thirsty Hippo

Its ok but do note that silica gel is cheaper in a way that you can recharge it by microwave oven.Hygrometer is to check the RH inside your dry box,definitely a must...
    explain me more about re-charging the silica gel by microwaving it and such ?
    thats means I don't need to change a silica gel anymore ? get one and once its already old then I charge it by microwave it ?

I heard it that by microwaving it , it will cause hazards to us or something because microwave is only meant for food and such not for those types . I'm referring to this guy below

my sincere advise is not to recharge the gel by microwave oven unless you have one that is not used to heat up your food. it's not that safe, due to the cobalt chloride.

Ask your parents to buy you a dry cabinet. Get a smaller cabinet or you can look for 2nd hand one people selling here less then $100. Explain to your parents how important to store your valuable gear in there.
    I did and I show them the article about fungal grow at Mass Sales the topic on dry cabs .
    At first they don't believe it until I showed it to them . But they said they will get it sooner but not now .

What are the safety precautions to be taken for now ? I don't have any Dry Box/Cab yet .
    And currently I leave it open and I didn't store it at the bag itself .

I heard if you left it open just like that . Fungal won't grow that much .

But on the other side , few others said its not recommend .

And some others said if you shoot every now and then , then u don't need to care about fungal growth and such . Whereas others said its bullshit .

I'm referring to this
    the best way to prevent fungus growth is to use the equipment often. so even for a month or two without dry cabinet should be fine.
    Others said the same way whereas others said its bullshit . So enlighten me more?

Just put thirsty hippo and ur camera inside ur cupboard and close it.

Please do not use microwave to recharge it!! Silica gel is cheaper than a microwave oven. So don't sacrifice ur oven.
    39, 40.5, 46, 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77.

Just get a new batch of silica gel when u run out, they are not that expensive, not worth risking your health over it

dont think it wise to use dry box with thirsty hippo, as the air inside will become super dry.

my friend used to do that, but one time he didnt shoot for a while and when he open the box to get his camera, he felt his lightly sweat hand dry up instantly when he put his hand into the box.

reason why u might want to avoid over drying, the rubber grip on your lens getting hard and crack and break.

constant use of the equipment and getting them under the sun should keep the fungus at bay.

Moi 2 cent
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

There is product called (Xorb It) available here and it is a better option then the Hippo packs etc. Please refer to this www.bgwguitars.com/data/acczorbitdetails.htm for further details or go search their actual website.

The difference is that this product actually release moisture back if the humidity is too dry. I've been using this product in my guitar case as an added protection for my acoustic guitars. For those that aren't aware, acoustic guitars are also very sensitive to humidity. The wood swells if it absorbs too much moisture, this is not good especially if you own guitars that costs several thousand each.

I have not bought a dry cab yet but I also have my cameras and guitars in a humidity and temperature controlled room (aircon and dehumidifier) where the constant humidity is maintained at a constant 45%. So far so good!!!

Not sure its just me .. already more than 10mths i been using without drybox/drycabi.. i dont see any problem in my lenses. I just put inside the bag and add silica gel bought from Diaso store.

i dont worry much now coz both cam and lenses are all in warranty. maybe ll get 1dry cabi next year

suggestion, save money and get digicabi straight away $100.. step by step cost more in the end ..
    Canon 7D+Grip, 17-55f2.8, 430exII & My Flickriver

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    dont think it wise to use dry box with thirsty hippo, as the air inside will become super dry.

my friend used to do that, but one time he didnt shoot for a while and when he open the box to get his camera, he felt his lightly sweat hand dry up instantly when he put his hand into the box.

reason why u might want to avoid over drying, the rubber grip on your lens getting hard and crack and break.

constant use of the equipment and getting them under the sun should keep the fungus at bay.

Moi 2 cent
    HAhaha....
    The those folks who live in low humidity places will have to change their camera stuff every 6 months because the grip will get hard and crack?

Theres really no hard and fast rule. A dry cabinet for a camera is recommended but not a must.

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy888 View Post
    There is product called (Xorb It) available here and it is a better option then the Hippo packs etc. Please refer to this www.bgwguitars.com/data/acczorbitdetails.htm for further details or go search their actual website.

The difference is that this product actually release moisture back if the humidity is too dry. I've been using this product in my guitar case as an added protection for my acoustic guitars. For those that aren't aware, acoustic guitars are also very sensitive to humidity. The wood swells if it absorbs too much moisture, this is not good especially if you own guitars that costs several thousand each.

I have not bought a dry cab yet but I also have my cameras and guitars in a humidity and temperature controlled room (aircon and dehumidifier) where the constant humidity is maintained at a constant 45%. So far so good!!!
    care to share where you can buy them?

yeap where to buy Zorb-it ? i am aslo interested
    Canon 7D+Grip, 17-55f2.8, 430exII & My Flickriver

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell207 View Post
    yeap where to buy Zorb-it ? i am aslo interested
    I googled and found this store selling...

http://www.bgwguitars.com/data/acczorbit.htm

same store he mentioned, i can't find anywhere else selling.

the box with meter u guys r talking abt is inconsistent and the silica cannot absorb enuf moisture over a period of time. every week gotta "recharge" if u got budget then buy
    Canon 550D Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 HSM OS | 50mm f1.8 II | 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | Di622 | BP-550D

Quote Originally Posted by killerslayer92 View Post
    the box with meter u guys r talking abt is inconsistent and the silica cannot absorb enuf moisture over a period of time. every week gotta "recharge" if u got budget then buy
    Do you mean the digi-hub i-case drybox?

Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    HAhaha....
    The those folks who live in low humidity places will have to change their camera stuff every 6 months because the grip will get hard and crack?

Theres really no hard and fast rule. A dry cabinet for a camera is recommended but not a must.

Regards
    errr its not like that fast also, but rubber that are subject to overly dry air and oil and sweat from our hands, the rate it deteriorate and harden become faster.

agree with u that there is no hard and fast rule to in needing a dry cabinet.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12