Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Chose the wrong custom image

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Chose the wrong custom image

    Guys, I accidentally took half of my photos in Reversal Film from the custom image, can i revert back to Natural (as this is my most used custom image) in Lightroom or Photoshop? I'm shooting in DNG format.
    Or do i have to install Pentax Utility to change back my custom image?

    After this incident, i decided to save Reversal Film in the User settings so as to avoid any wrong move in the future.

    Note: it's not digital filter i'm talking about.

    Thanks in advance.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chose the wrong custom image

    Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    Guys, I accidentally took half of my photos in Reversal Film from the custom image, can i revert back to Natural (as this is my most used custom image) in Lightroom or Photoshop? I'm shooting in DNG format.
    Or do i have to install Pentax Utility to change back my custom image?

    After this incident, i decided to save Reversal Film in the User settings so as to avoid any wrong move in the future.

    Note: it's not digital filter i'm talking about.

    Thanks in advance.
    i know Pentax Utility can do it . Cos i try before.

    The rest I'm not very sure
    My Flickr ->Flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Chose the wrong custom image

    Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    i know Pentax Utility can do it . Cos i try before.

    The rest I'm not very sure
    Hey Simon, thanks for replying! In the end after no one replied except you, i tried it myself and this is the result. I don't really know how to fully use the Pentax Utility yet but it seems pretty easy, minus the "open source" interface look...hehe

    Note: I've also downloaded the latest upgrade of Pentax Utility version 4.21

    #1. This original image(Reversal Film) passes through the Pentax Utility and straight away converted to a resized Jpeg.


    #2. Next, i changed the custom image to Natural in Pentax Utility and converted to a resized Jpeg.


    #3. This image, converted from Reversal Film to Natural, was first done in the Raw development in my K-7, but because the Jpeg
    file size is a little big i passes it through the Pentax Utility and converted to a similar resized Jpeg as above.


    I did not use lightroom because it needed some customised tweaks and i could save it as a preset in future.

    In conclusion, although converting custom image in Pentax Utility is adequate, but i prefer the colours from the K-7 raw development better. So in future, before a shoot, i will check to make sure my Custom Image preference is correctly chosen because at times, i will fool around with the Custom Image preference and forgets to switch it back. Cheers!
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

  4. #4
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Chose the wrong custom image

    Good post Charlie, shows the effect of the new custom image well. Ha, ha, on your fav subject too...
    I find the reversal film preset showing a strong push towards stronger greens and blues while boosting the black point. The few shots that I've tried with it appear to be really quite different from what I'm accustomed to. The effect is kinda strong for my taste, maybe they were trying to mimic the cool to neutral color rendition of Kodak Ektachrome. Anyway having more presets is good as it offers more avenues for creative expression.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,043

    Default Re: Chose the wrong custom image

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Good post Charlie, shows the effect of the new custom image well. Ha, ha, on your fav subject too...
    I find the reversal film preset showing a strong push towards stronger greens and blues while boosting the black point. The few shots that I've tried with it appear to be really quite different from what I'm accustomed to. The effect is kinda strong for my taste, maybe they were trying to mimic the cool to neutral color rendition of Kodak Ektachrome. Anyway having more presets is good as it offers more avenues for creative expression.
    Hey Dennis, thanks for reading this lonely thread. Lol. Ya i agree this custom preset is simulating Kodak Ektachrome, I'm going to use more of this slide film preset in the next outing, hehe. I also realised passing this image through Lightroom will never achieve the same reversal film colour preset as compare to the Pentax Utility.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •