Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Olympic Games

Default Re: Youth Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    from my experience, it is usually those PnS cams that are giving problems. I always have to nicely tell them not to use flash when taking sports or animal photography.... but usually they don't care anything you said. Those with DSLR cams and big gears usually know how to behave in the sporting arena.

It's almost always DSLR users who get warned for "flash photography".. but its always the PnS users who can't control the flash of their cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    SPH photographer got priviledge to shoot in the field of play.
    they dont get to shoot a lot of the more larger sports though like taekwondo...unlike another select group of photographers.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    It's almost always DSLR users who get warned for "flash photography".. but its always the PnS users who can't control the flash of their cameras...
    But there are some DSLR users who dunno how to control their flash...those who use auto mode.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    But there are some DSLR users who dunno how to control their flash...those who use auto mode.
    Then those must learn when and when not to activate their flash. Some cameras got flashless auto.

Everytime I pass my dslr to non photography friends it is usually in P mode... and always gets returned in Auto mode with blurry photos. then they ask me why is my camera so lousy photos so blur. lol

Then those must learn when and when not to activate their flash. Some cameras got flashless auto.

Everytime I pass my dslr to non photography friends it is usually in P mode... and always gets returned in Auto mode with blurry photos. then they ask me why is my camera so lousy photos so blur. lol
    I pass my camera to anyone other than fellow pgs in any mode, it always comes back in auto mode.

For such international event, the media / press photographers such as AP, Reuters, Getty and so forth are the authorised photographers. Of course, our own SPH team and another assigned team will also cover the event.

The above group of photographers will be using DSLRs and wide, mid to super telephoto lenses, etc. They won't use flash as they are all PROs to know the rules unless they wanted to jeopardise their ricebowls. Most of them will be standing at designated areas except a few will be on the fields to shoot.

The spectators on the other hand will mostly using compact to prosumer cameras. Most of them will be using the flash unknowingly. However, given the distance from the seats to the fields, it may not cause too much distraction to the participants. If flash is too obvious, the ushers will intervene and ask the spectator to keep his/her camera.

The next group of spectators will be those who bring DSLRs and mid-to super telephooto lenses to shoot the competitions. However, do you know that it may cause obstruction to others in the view? Image you mounted a monopod with 1D mk 3 and EF 300mm f2.8L at your seat, will you cause obstruction to those sitting besides you and infront? If a lot of people are bring big DSLRs and big lenses, what will happen? I guess that that could be the primary reason from restricting big DSLRs and long lenses at the spectator seats.

I pass my camera to anyone other than fellow pgs in any mode, it always comes back in auto mode.
    buy a DSLR body without Auto mode!

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    That means semi-pro or pro body.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Just got a direct reply...ticket holders are not allowed to use DSLR within the competition venue. exact wording is as follows,

"......regarding the use of DSLR cameras. We regret to inform you that DSLR cameras are not allowed in the Singapore 2010 competition venues. You may take personal photos inside the venue but professional photography, camera videoing or any recordable devices, in any forms of visuals or audio are strictly prohibited. Please note that flash photography is strictly prohibited once competition is in progress on the Field of Play."

but i am guessing many will try to bring in anyway eg. from the number of gymnastics tickets chopped up.
    Thanks Bro. Appreciate the help and sad to note that DSLRs are not allowed :-(

Sure thing, tell me when you want to sponsor me a D3x

Sure thing, tell me when you want to sponsor me a D3x
    need D3x so elite meh? D300 can liao.

buy D3x u need to change all your DX lenses. wait u say must sponsor u lenses as well!
    Last edited by coolsigg; 9th August 2010 at 10:46 PM.

need D3x so elite meh? D300 can liao.

buy D3x u need to change all your DX lenses. wait u say must sponsor u lenses as well!
    Dun worry, 50 1.8 I can afford

finally the end of one of the most tiring yet learning experience weekend ever. coming fortnight should be plain sailing.

kinda sucks to be embargoed until given green light to post pictures openly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    kinda sucks to be embargoed until given green light to post pictures openly.
    as in the yog photos? yea i heard we arent allowed to post OPENLY until events are over.

now abt being closely uploaded...

just kidding. aint gonna take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    as in the yog photos? yea i heard we arent allowed to post OPENLY until events are over.

howabt u send ur computer "for repairs" and then we "help"?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

boh pian...all the best pics taken are uploaded and provided online to the various wire press. still dont know if will be credited under photographer name or organisation name.

by doing this, i think reduces the number of free sources of pics like the various photo hosting sites and so on that could be chopped by foreign news agencies.

just a thought, its one thing to give volunteer photographers a insight into such events but another when they are somewhat expected to produce the same results as a paid photographer and the stress that come with it.

anyway from what i heard, a lot of the popular sports even SPH couldnt get photographer access.
    Last edited by Reportage; 12th August 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post

The cost of the tickets is a big turn off

If they offer some tickets free for CS members, may be I will go
    Even staff of YOG and sponsors have to buy tickets. Rules set by IOC. according to a source working in YOG,the tickets for diving sold out damn fast. Maybe cos men want to go and shake hands with guo jingjing. (she will be here as a sports ambassador)
    I tried buying tickets to watch the tennis final but all sold out! $30 btw for tennis.
    Last edited by cowmera; 12th August 2010 at 03:37 PM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    howabt u send ur computer "for repairs" and then we "help"?
    kinda hard for that one to work...the photographers have been issued the latest (at time of tender?) laptops with latest Adobe CS and each venue has a backup/service area in case the gear got problems for instant swap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Even staff of YOG and sponsors have to buy tickets. Rules set by IOC. according to a source working in YOG,the tickets for diving sold out damn fast. Maybe cos men want to go and shake hands with guo jingjing. (she will be here as a sports ambassador)
    I tried buying tickets to watch the tennis final but all sold out! $30 btw for tennis.
    really? my pass allows me free access to all competition venues

and there is a difference. i'm involved in photoscape, while i think reportage is involved in event coverage. 2 very different things actually.

ours is to just make this legacy wall thingy. theirs will be used for press i think

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast