Thread: corrupted lightroom catalogue

Default corrupted lightroom catalogue

dear all, i have run into a small problem

my lightroom 3 catalogue has decided to corrupt itself while i imported some photos today. unfortunately i do not have a backup. it tells me to attempt to repair the catalogue but it fails.

interestingly, i can still access my catalogue if i copy and paste the .lrcat file elsewhere and open it. however, i cannot make a backup within lightroom now.

anyone can advise me as to what i can do to save my library for now?

thanks

oh and just to add, i did not tick the auto xmp option as i never knew about it today.
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Default Re: corrupted lightroom catalogue

bookmark

Try to export the catogue or try to write XML files by initiating it manually
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Try to export the catogue or try to write XML files by initiating it manually
    If the catalog is corrupted, does that mean all changes to the photos are lost too, because the amendments are stored inside the same database?

Quote Originally Posted by frozentomtom View Post
    If the catalog is corrupted, does that mean all changes to the photos are lost too, because the amendments are stored inside the same database?
    if corrupted and none recoverable, yes that's what it means...
    so i would try to get the xmps out and try to export it.
    further i would export the keyword list

if you have the xmp files then you can recover the applied corrections... otherwise you are done...
    hence, back up, backup backup backup backup backup
    and backup the backup
    the backup should be on a different hard disk from your original catalogue and the backup of the backup on a third one
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

tried the manual xmp method. only managed to keep some of my edits intact. sighs guess ill just learn from this experience. nothing major in the end but still annoying. thanks all
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    if corrupted and none recoverable, yes that's what it means...
    so i would try to get the xmps out and try to export it.
    further i would export the keyword list

if you have the xmp files then you can recover the applied corrections... otherwise you are done...
    hence, back up, backup backup backup backup backup
    and backup the backup
    the backup should be on a different hard disk from your original catalogue and the backup of the backup on a third one
    Hi Michael,
    If you dont mind sharing, does Lightroom3 has an auto backup feature? Apart from the "save 2nd copy to..." feature during import, I cannot seem to find a feature that will automatically backup the master files (i.e. the pictures).
    Yes, I am aware there is an auto backup for library. Speaking of which, I am still looking for a way to change the backup location... still looking... looking...

Any advice you can give. Thanks.
    EM

Update: I just found this in the Lightroom manual:
    You must manually back up your edited photos, previews, sidecar files, slide shows, web galleries, and exported photos outside Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    If you dont mind sharing, does Lightroom3 has an auto backup feature? Apart from the "save 2nd copy to..." feature during import, I cannot seem to find a feature that will automatically backup the master files (i.e. the pictures).
    Simply use freeware tools for that purpose. Alwaysync and others can be used to replicate entire directories upon request or based on schedule. Lightroom is an image processing tool, primarily
    Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    Yes, I am aware there is an auto backup for library. Speaking of which, I am still looking for a way to change the backup location... still looking... looking...
    Look at the dialog box for backup, popping up when closing the program. There is a path and a button to change. Otherwise check your catalogue settings.
    Last edited by Octarine; 13th January 2011 at 06:55 PM.
    EOS

yes what Octarine says is correct, LR does not have a backup feature for the original files. I guess since they reside outside of LR they dont want to trouble the software with it. So use standard timemachine or similar to backup the original files. if you do not have a Raid system then i suggest you keep 2 backups, one online for continous backup and one offline for occasional backups, keep the offline backup in a different location (or do cloud backup)

the backup file can be placed indeed into a different folder as described by Octarine, i keep my catalogue backups on a different harddisk from the catalogue file.
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

External storage is quite cheap these days. Get a NAS filer with 4 HDD, setup 2 RAID1 volumes and link them to your computer as 2 different drives . Upon importing of new images you can already select "Backup RAW to .." and point to one volume. When finishing your work let LR do the backup to 2nd RAID volume.
    For all exported files I suggest using external backup tools to a 3rd (e.g. USB) drive.
    EOS

I am new to LR and I don't know why but the folders in the catalogue all had problems and were 'missing ' after I opened LR a day after I made the changes to my raw. I tried to do 'find missing folder' but it didn't work. I finally recovered all the changes I made from the catalogue backup file. I am quite worry that it will keep happening. I then set 'backup' everytime I exit LR. Is that too much? I noticed that it takes longer to reload the changes I made on a photo.
    How frequent do you set the auto backup of LR?
    Do i need to have many different catalogues?

Thanks..