Thread: which DSLR + tele prime

Default which DSLR + tele prime

I am thinking about getting a DSLR + tele prime (135mm) to shoot portraits.

I am thinking of getting something good so I will not need to upgrade.

The two choices I am thinking about is

1) canon 5d mkii + 135mm f2 L
    2) sony A850 + CZ 135mm f1.8

The things that I am worried about is
    1) AF accuracy. How good is the AF systems? I read from luminous landscape that the 5d mkii is less sensitive at low light compared to the sony. And the 5d mkii seems to be using a very very old AF system...

2) bokeh fringing. basically green or magenta fringing at out of focus regions. Amazingly from photozone.de the more expensive CZ lens seems to suffer from a lot of such fringing issues. Everything else about these two lens is stellar so there is nothing much except the fringing issue which is tough to fix in photoshop. Anyone has actually used both lens before? Any comments which lens is prefered?

canon is cheaper though, especially the lens. and easier to sell in CS
    Last edited by alantkh; 31st July 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: which DSLR + tele prime

One lens is NEVER enough...

and why only limit yourself to these 2 systems... plenty more to consider actually. And also, a cropped 135mm perspective is different from a full frame 135mm perspective.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

If you are talking about portraits then the current AF system for 5D Mark II is good enough otherwise you can manual focus too since your subjects aren't going to be running around most of the time. Unless you are taking pic of sports, wildlife whereby the objects move at quite a fast speed then the AF system such as 7D or 1D is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    If you are talking about portraits then the current AF system for 5D Mark II is good enough otherwise you can manual focus too since your subjects aren't going to be running around most of the time. Unless you are taking pic of sports, wildlife whereby the objects move at quite a fast speed then the AF system such as 7D or 1D is preferred.
    I am talking about slow moving portraits. I cannot manual focus... very tough for me if the DOF is small.

I am worried about accuracy. Example, I have a D700 and a D90. With the afs 50mm f1.4, the AF for the D700 is very consistent while the D90 is a hit and miss affair. Two different AF sequence on the SAME subject ends up with different results. The D90 will beep but the image is slightly out of focus and worse that what I get with contrast detection live view (ideal AF but sloooow)

That is what I am the most worried about. I don't want to be zooming in and checking every pic for focus errors.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    One lens is NEVER enough...

and why only limit yourself to these 2 systems... plenty more to consider actually. And also, a cropped 135mm perspective is different from a full frame 135mm perspective.
    the only other company with FF is nikon. And their 135mm f2 DC is kind of old. The DC seems kind of like a gimmick to me.

But it would be easier on my wallet as I can buy the lens first and the D700 replacement when it comes out

How about nikon 135 F2 DC for ur d700 body
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    How about nikon 135 F2 DC for ur d700 body
    my thoughts exactly... since you have a D700 why not a 135 f2 DC
    unless..

if you need a body with higher megapixels, then either
    or

is fine,

if you need a lens with a third stop faster aperture
    or
    if you need both high MP count & a third stop faster aperture
    go the SONY way

the only other company with FF is nikon. And their 135mm f2 DC is kind of old. The DC seems kind of like a gimmick to me.
    Hmmmm... Obviously you haven't tried the 135 f2 DC... The DC feature is used to optimise the bokeh for set apertures. I am a Canon user with the 135L and 5D Mk2 and I can safely say that the 135L is simply awesome. However, I have also tried the 135 DC on a D3x and that combination surpasses the image quality from the 5DMK2 + 135L

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    I am thinking about getting a DSLR + tele prime (135mm) to shoot portraits.

I am thinking of getting something good so I will not need to upgrade.

The two choices I am thinking about is

The things that I am worried about is
    1) AF accuracy. How good is the AF systems? I read from luminous landscape that the 5d mkii is less sensitive at low light compared to the sony. And the 5d mkii seems to be using a very very old AF system...

2) bokeh fringing. basically green or magenta fringing at out of focus regions. Amazingly from photozone.de the more expensive CZ lens seems to suffer from a lot of such fringing issues. Everything else about these two lens is stellar so there is nothing much except the fringing issue which is tough to fix in photoshop. Anyone has actually used both lens before? Any comments which lens is prefered?

canon is cheaper though, especially the lens. and easier to sell in CS
    If you are taking portraits, both cameras will do the job well.

I hv no used the 5D before, but I guess u wouldnt need to worry about AF accuracy of both cameras, since you can configure micro adjustment of your lens to fit the camera (both camera should hv this function. I know A850 does).

Any of these 2 will be fine for portraits.

PS: Whats the price of the 5D MkII? A brand new Sony A850 cost $2700 in Singapore btw, it should be the cheapest Full Frame in the market right now.

BTW TS, since u already are using Nikon, why arent u considering the D3X instead? At least u'll be staying within ur system.

No offence, but there is really no such thing as a portrait setup.

Go to Flickr and so a search for 'portraits'
    I believe there will be many very nice examples taken by all types of cameras and lenses.

Have you considered things like working distance and portability?
    What about lighting (creation and control of it)?
    Always shot wide open? (why?)

MHO, and some food for thought.

D700 + 135 f2 DC(if you can find one) is good enough
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

hi,

if manual isnt an issue for you, i ve used the 105mm f/1.8 AIS and now have the 135 f2 AIS. both are really awesome for portraiture. i believe this holds true for the AF versions of this 2 lenses. the 85 1.4D will also be very very good.

its true that these lenses are 'old'. but from samples i ve seen, the DC feature is no gimmick and if you are using for portraiture i dont believe you ll need AF-S or vr. so if it fits the bill, why bother if its old? =P

for full length you can also consider the AIS 50 f/1.2. the skin tone rendition is really exceptional esp for chinese and ang moh. very real to life.

if all else fails, go for the zeiss planar 100 f/2.0 =P
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Actually, I'm quite happy with the CZ135. CA is very well controlled.
    Alpha

I am talking about slow moving portraits. I cannot manual focus... very tough for me if the DOF is small.

I am worried about accuracy. Example, I have a D700 and a D90. With the afs 50mm f1.4, the AF for the D700 is very consistent while the D90 is a hit and miss affair. Two different AF sequence on the SAME subject ends up with different results. The D90 will beep but the image is slightly out of focus and worse that what I get with contrast detection live view (ideal AF but sloooow)

That is what I am the most worried about. I don't want to be zooming in and checking every pic for focus errors.
    have you tested both your camera with another lens?
    it could be just a focusing issue with your particular lens, which calibration can help.

and i supposed you are shooting at f/1.4 on the 50mm?
    were the shot done on tripod and a still object?
    if no, it might be user error?

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    have you tested both your camera with another lens?
    it could be just a focusing issue with your particular lens, which calibration can help.

and i supposed you are shooting at f/1.4 on the 50mm?
    were the shot done on tripod and a still object?
    if no, it might be user error?
    It could be user error but that is the problem. With the D700, it is more forgiving to this particular user, me. With the D90, the number of misfocused shots increases by a LOT. Same for the D5000. In the end I sold of the D5000 and D90 and the afs 50mm. I don't care whether the D90 can focus accurately on a tripod or not. What I care is how it perform with me handheld during my travels.

It is not about front or back focus but the consistency of the focus.
    Last edited by alantkh; 1st August 2010 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post

PS: Whats the price of the 5D MkII? A brand new Sony A850 cost $2700 in Singapore btw, it should be the cheapest Full Frame in the market right now.
    I know the A850 is $2650 while the CZ 135mm is 2200, latest equote from MS.

5D is around $3150 from the price guide but the 135mm is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Hmmmm... Obviously you haven't tried the 135 f2 DC... The DC feature is used to optimise the bokeh for set apertures. I am a Canon user with the 135L and 5D Mk2 and I can safely say that the 135L is simply awesome. However, I have also tried the 135 DC on a D3x and that combination surpasses the image quality from the 5DMK2 + 135L
    that good. The problem is I tend to get the upgrade bug. If I get the nikon 135mm DC which is a really old lens, might be tempted to upgrade when the new version come out. If I am staying with nikon, maybe the new 70-200mm VR2.

It could be user error but that is the problem. With the D700, it is more forgiving to this particular user, me. With the D90, the number of misfocused shots increases by a LOT. Same for the D5000. In the end I sold of the D5000 and D90 and the afs 50mm. I don't care whether the D90 can focus accurately on a tripod or not. What I care is how it perform with me handheld during my travels.

It is not about front or back focus but the consistency of the focus.
    The reason i mentioned tripod is to eliminate the possibility of equipment error.
    if it's user error, even the best focusing system won't help.
    work on your technique

anyway, the focusing on the 5D2 isn't any better than the D700, infact the D700 is more advance. (not sure about the A850 though)
    if you wanna change to canon, go for 7D/1D for the better focusing.