Thread: Color filter how it affects the color results

Default Color filter how it affects the color results

Dear CS Fellowers,

I wanted to buuy ND filter, and I saw some of it come with colors like blue or red. Since I use E-P1 so I post my question here.

If i want to take a sunset (sunrise is too early for me) and I understand I need a ND filter for better result. First is how many times ND filter is ideal?

I saw some come with blue graduate filter. Will it be better to get better blue sky or blue filter will cut the blue away? How does these color filter works? Any general guide lines?

Any one care to spare some experience here?

Thank you.

Default Re: Color filter how it affects the color results

Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Dear CS Fellowers,

I wanted to buuy ND filter, and I saw some of it come with colors like blue or red. Since I use E-P1 so I post my question here.

If i want to take a sunset (sunrise is too early for me) and I understand I need a ND filter for better result. First is how many times ND filter is ideal?

I saw some come with blue graduate filter. Will it be better to get better blue sky or blue filter will cut the blue away? How does these color filter works? Any general guide lines?

Any one care to spare some experience here?

Thank you.
    I think you need to understand filters first. For sunsets, most would recommend a GND, not ND. FYI, most colored filters were designed for the days of black and white film. Up to you if you want to use it in today's digital medium, but the effects would be pretty obvious to figure out.
    Alpha

ND (Neutral Density) filters are supposed to be clear/grey which reduces and/or modifies intensity of all wavelengths or colours of light equally, giving no changes in hue of color rendition.

GND (Graduated Neutral Density) filters splits the filter into a clear and a ND filter, either gradually or abruptly (soft or hard GND respectively).

So I think what you are talking about is neither of these but a graduated colour filter, correct?

Btw a blue sky or blue filter will make the sky more blue. If you are taking sunset... don't know about you but I prefer more warmth in that situation. If it is past sunset already, then yes the sky will be more blue, but you wouldn't need a filter in this case already (as the sky will not so bright that you need a filter anymore.

Maybe you need to explain more on what you are trying to achieve here.

ND and GND are not 'colour filters' - they are not supposed to change the colour but rather the amount of light coming in. If you want to use real colour filters (blue, tobacco, orange etc.) don't forget to set your WB on something defined, not Auto. Otherwise the effect is limited.
    EOS

Dear Fellows,

I do come from Black & White age, but I have stopped photography for years fighting to feed my family. Now I have time again, but things all changed into digital.

Story goes this way, I am going with my wife to Jeju next month early Sep. So I am buying wide angle lens plus necessary filters to make sunset or beach view more attractive. I saw B&H photo and Amazon offer those square sliding filters in a set and comes with different color. One I need would be after being corrected is the GND filter, but I am not sure how to use the other color filters.

I remembered bule will control the bule passing through the filter. That is why I ask Blue or ND Blue will increase blue or cut blue off and give less blue. I think if I read more books I will just get myself more confuse.

Of course if i decided to buy the Panny 7 - 14 mm lens then I may not have all these questions because the lens does not allow filters. For budget and share filters with 45-200mm panny both are 52mm then the 9 - 18mm wide will give me the better options hence more errors to make.

Aw, I love that 7-14mm. But if you do get the 9-18mm, pls post a review on how you find it.

The easiest way to tell is to hold it up and see through the filter. When you hold the "blue" filter, and you see through it, does it make the coloured area more bluish? If so, then that's the picture that will come out on the camera.

Just like the "orange" filter, it should make everything within the coloured area, more orange, correct?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your question when it was first posted as I presumed it was based mostly on ND/GND and not coloured filters. I control most of the colours when post processing; not from the film era :-p
    Last edited by wildcat; 1st August 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Aw, I love that 7-14mm. But if you do get the 9-18mm, pls post a review on how you find it.

The easiest way to tell is to hold it up and see through the filter. When you hold the "blue" filter, and you see through it, does it make the coloured area more bluish? If so, then that's the picture that will come out on the camera.

Just like the "orange" filter, it should make everything within the coloured area, more orange, correct?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your question when it was first posted as I presumed it was based mostly on ND/GND and not coloured filters. I control most of the colours when post processing; not from the film era :-p

Your explanation to hold the filter and see what it shows would be what I get on the photo is the easiest for me to understand and remember.

I remember there used to be a color bar chart which color contra which color off etc. Today I still can not remember it by hard. with your simple method look through the filter to see the result is the simpliest and easy to remember.

Thank you.

If my photo turn out not too poor, I will write a simple review with some photo about either the Panny 7-14 or the Oly 9-18mm. At least I will post those failure with the lens and seek comment how to correct it if I have another trip to work with the 9-18mm in the future.

Hello Wildcat,

Since my thread was moved from M4/3 to here, I believe I must have posted my question in the wrong place.

I have bought the Oly 9 - 18mm lens, where can I post my review why I end up this lens with some results after I practise with the GND filter?

When I asked for the GND filter, I was proposed to use the ND 4 and ND 8 filter instead. I decided to get the GND else where. i will test the sun set from my window because every day if it is a good sunny day I will have sunset outside my window. I stay at the west looking somewhere at jurong Island. Not a good scene, but let see the result.

Hello Wildcat,

Since my thread was moved from M4/3 to here, I believe I must have posted my question in the wrong place.

I have bought the Oly 9 - 18mm lens, where can I post my review why I end up this lens with some results after I practise with the GND filter?

When I asked for the GND filter, I was proposed to use the ND 4 and ND 8 filter instead. I decided to get the GND else where. i will test the sun set from my window because every day if it is a good sunny day I will have sunset outside my window. I stay at the west looking somewhere at jurong Island. Not a good scene, but let see the result.
    It was most likely moved here because your question is a general question on filters, nothing specific to m43 even though you are using one.

Within the 4/3 forum, there's a sticky section for Photos for the various cameras. Alternatively, you can also post in Photo Galleries which I think would be a better idea, as most of us don't go to the specific stickies for individual cameras. Most of us get our comments from there (e.g. Land/City-scape where I normally hang out).

On the other hand, if you're doing a review on 9-18mm, there are a few threads open in the 4/3 forum already discussing about it. I follow some of those also e.g. this
    Last edited by wildcat; 5th August 2010 at 10:42 AM.