Thread: newbie, please advise

Default newbie, please advise

hello! im intending to get canon 1000D. can anyone advise what does it mean by 7k shutter count? TIA!

Default Re: newbie, please advise

How many times you press on the Shutter button.

so it means you can only click for 7000 times?

Are you buying a second hand Camera? Shutter count means how many times the Previous owner has clicked on the shutter release button. If its brand new, i dont know why its even stated there. Its not how many times you CAN press. its how many times you PRESSED.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Are you buying a second hand Camera? Shutter count means how many times the Previous owner has clicked on the shutter release button. If its brand new, i dont know why its even stated there. Its not how many times you CAN press. its how many times you PRESSED.
    yes, i buying second hand! thanks alot. is there a max number of time you can click the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by lumwanru View Post
    yes, i buying second hand! thanks alot. is there a max number of time you can click the shutter?
    Relax. Its rated for at least 100,000 actuations. But there are cases where shutters failed before 100,000
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Like all mechanical parts, there's wear and tear. But Canon gives an estimate of about 100,000. If the shutter does fail, you can get it replaced.
    Alpha

It's the number of times you have pressed the button (shutter actuation). There's no maximum. It can actuate for up to 100,000 without failing. However all mechanical parts do wear and tear. Some may fail before 100,000 and some may fail after 100,000.

Since you're buying second hand, do check for fungus and scratches on lenses. Minor scratches on body and/or non-glass surfaces of lenses can be expected for frequently used cameras.

Hope you're getting a good deal. Go out and shoot more.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    It's the number of times you have pressed the button (shutter actuation). There's no maximum. It can actuate for up to 100,000 without failing. However all mechanical parts do wear and tear. Some may fail before 100,000 and some may fail after 100,000.

Since you're buying second hand, do check for fungus and scratches on lenses. Minor scratches on body and/or non-glass surfaces of lenses can be expected for frequently used cameras.

Hope you're getting a good deal. Go out and shoot more.
    Hi, thanks alot! any advise on what to check when I buy a second hand camera?

There is a thread regarding your present query in the 'consumers corner' sub forum iirc
    D7000. AF-S 18-105

Blog Entries

Check this out. It is a database that averages out the shutter life of 1000D. Hope you are a statistic person and can make head and tails on the distribution.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos1000d.htm

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Check this out. It is a database that averages out the shutter life of 1000D. Hope you are a statistic person and can make head and tails on the distribution.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos1000d.htm
    That if your camera survives 33,823 clicks, it will most likely survive the next 755,523 clicks?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    That if your camera survives 33,823 clicks, it will most likely survive the next 755,523 clicks?
    Dunnoo... but the sample taken is so little that it is really not an accurate representation of the odds.

For 1000D, there's nothing much more to check then to check the obvious that I've already mentioned. Other than that, make sure every component is enclosed like:
    (1) Eyecap and Body Cap.
    (2) Battery LP-E5
    (3) Battery Charger
    (4) Camera Strap
    (5) Interface Cable IFC-200U
    (6) Video Cable VC-100
    (7) EOS Disc and Software Manual Disc
    (8) Instruction Manuals & CD ROM Guide

Check the USB Socket and Video Socket on the camera is working. Take your time to check and be satisfied that it is working before you hand over your money. Any non working parts you discovered when you reach home is usually not entertained by the seller.

Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    For 1000D, there's nothing much more to check then to check the obvious that I've already mentioned. Other than that, make sure every component is enclosed like:
    (1) Eyecap and Body Cap.
    (2) Battery LP-E5
    (3) Battery Charger
    (4) Camera Strap
    (5) Interface Cable IFC-200U
    (6) Video Cable VC-100
    (7) EOS Disc and Software Manual Disc
    (8) Instruction Manuals & CD ROM Guide

Check the USB Socket and Video Socket on the camera is working. Take your time to check and be satisfied that it is working before you hand over your money. Any non working parts you discovered when you reach home is usually not entertained by the seller.

Hope that helps.
    Don't forget to mount the lens and take photos with it. Make sure it can actually take photos.

If you are more particular, take some pictures in MF and M mode with the lens cap on. See if you see any hot pixels. Then look at the LCD to see if there are any hot pixels on the LCD. You can also check if there are any dust or dirt in VF, etc... If you are particular la. For me, I don't really bother, because I have yet to buy any camera bodies used. I have been buying new so far.

And if you are also buying the kit lens, bring a focus test chart, test for front and back focusing, test to see if the AF works. Test MF also, see if the focus ring is smooth. Check to see if picture taken is sharp.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 31st July 2010 at 10:08 PM.