Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What are you good at?

  1. #1

    Default What are you good at?

    Hello guys...

    Another thread that encourage positive thinking which is very essential in running a successful business. I will start a series of post to encourage positive thinking in business perspective. These threads are design to help anyone who is willing to contribute and learn and open up themselves to help each other.

    I pinch the idea (what are you good at?) from one of my favorite photographer Cheryl Jacob Nicolai...

    We are often being modest and often concentrate on what you are not good in your trade... Of course, there is something good in you that make it happen.

    It is not in Asian's natural behavior to say they are good, but remember, this is not a show off thread, but it is skew towards your capability in sharing the positive outlook so we could help each other.

    So lets hear what you are GOOD at...


    Me first, I suppose....

    I am good with winning trust of my little people (children)
    So naturally, taking photograph of every changing children is relatively easy and very enjoyable to me...

    I am good with being able to focus in a stressful environment.
    Taking children photography especially newborn photography often subject myself to very stressful condition... mainly when the kids refuse to do what the parents want... with that focus, it helps me think more objectively to get the shot that I want.

    Ok... its your turn now...

    Regards,

    Hart

  2. #2

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    I used to be good at rolling my own films. Yea, that's about it..

  3. #3

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    No one else?

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    I am good at catching expressions from others (humans) at the right time.

    But my sis who saw my photos find me better shooting cats then humans

  5. #5

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Suppose that should be coming from clients feedback.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    I am good at making the best with what i have.

    I am good at keeping things for future use.

    I am good at "opening doors".
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    IMO, all things have positive side and negative side, those good points it also can be can be our weak points too, so it depends do we using it positively.

    Here are some which I get to know about it thru out the years, and many of my clients, customers and friends told me so..

    • Customer service
    • Pay attention in details
    • Patient
    • Persistent to excel
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    Suppose that should be coming from clients feedback.
    It could be. However, I believe client's feedback generally do reflect your goodness that they feel.

    So what are you good at?

    Hart

  9. #9

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post

    I am good at "opening doors".
    Very interesting.... With this ability do helps a lot in getting into the "doors"

    good to hear n all the best.

    Hart

  10. #10

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    IMO, all things have positive side and negative side, those good points it also can be can be our weak points too, so it depends do we using it positively.[/LIST]
    you are absolutely right... Sometimes it is abt nurture and using your ability in positive way rather than focus on the negative side.

    So long that one is aware that the negative side of their personality, it is easier to manage. It is sometimes the management of those negative quality that do set people apart.

    There isn't any perfect human being so to speak.

    Thanks for contributing...

    Let's hear from more of you... Remember what you share also a reminder to yourself what you are good at so u could further that along.

    Life seems to be brighter reading encouraging words on people's positive comment.

    Hart

  11. #11
    Member Sispecho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    I am Good at finding fault with myself.

    I shouldnt be saying negative things. I am good at giving myself 'Constructive Criticism'.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Hello guys...

    Another thread that encourage positive thinking which is very essential in running a successful business. I will start a series of post to encourage positive thinking in business perspective. These threads are design to help anyone who is willing to contribute and learn and open up themselves to help each other.

    I pinch the idea (what are you good at?) from one of my favorite photographer Cheryl Jacob Nicolai...

    We are often being modest and often concentrate on what you are not good in your trade... Of course, there is something good in you that make it happen.

    It is not in Asian's natural behavior to say they are good, but remember, this is not a show off thread, but it is skew towards your capability in sharing the positive outlook so we could help each other.

    So lets hear what you are GOOD at...


    Me first, I suppose....

    I am good with winning trust of my little people (children)
    So naturally, taking photograph of every changing children is relatively easy and very enjoyable to me...

    I am good with being able to focus in a stressful environment.
    Taking children photography especially newborn photography often subject myself to very stressful condition... mainly when the kids refuse to do what the parents want... with that focus, it helps me think more objectively to get the shot that I want.

    Ok... its your turn now...

    Regards,

    Hart

    One has to geniunely love people more than your role as photographer.
    A true photographer serves people from his heart with their best interests
    and is motivated by loving concern rather than a desire for profits,
    personal glory or "success" in the business of photography.

  13. #13
    Member fooj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sengkang;Fernvale
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    well..

    i am good at tone things down on stressful conditions for clients parents and relatives,

    i am good at my post processing work.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Very interesting.... With this ability do helps a lot in getting into the "doors"

    good to hear n all the best.

    Hart
    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    One has to geniunely love people more than your role as photographer.
    A true photographer serves people from his heart with their best interests
    and is motivated by loving concern rather than a desire for profits,
    personal glory or "success" in the business of photography.
    Fully agree with your points here. Without that there won't be any long term relationship that one can build with their clients as far as the business is concern.

    However, it is important to find what you are good at as a constant reminder to yourself so you can develop that.

    As what I have mentioned, winning the trust of little one does require one's genuine interest and love for them.

    I hope that clarifies the intend and the purpose of this thread.

    Thanks for contributing.

    Hart

  15. #15

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by fooj View Post
    well..

    i am good at tone things down on stressful conditions for clients parents and relatives,

    i am good at my post processing work.
    Good traits to have as people photography.

    Post processing is great but I am sure you are very much aware of the essence of the images itself.

    Good luck.

    Hart

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    idoproduction.wordpress.com
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    I am good at working under extreme pressure especially in actual day wedding where you need to deliver the video montage of the morning events by 6pm. Normally only have 3 hours to edit and render after minus off the travel time and time taken to export the footage.
    Wedding Cinematographer+Editor H/p:98368086 http://idoproduction.wordpress.com/

  17. #17

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Hi, I can be considerate to others when others get hot and boil down to me at my mistakes as I am always "Don''t do unto others that others don't like you to do unto them" If I have this maxim all the times, then I have something which very few people have.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Thx guys
    Well, ability to communicate and handle people at your best - any age (even babies) is not enough; sometimes we have to do what's required of any particular situation and circumstances.

    Can your client trust your motives?
    Can you perform consistently, even when you don't feel like it?

    It is important to improve your dependability, secondly have you discover what your word is worth, i.e. how reliable are you? Having the ability to handle tiny tots is just part of your present skill, what about your future learning curve?

    Have you find someone to hold you accountable to help you to keep track of your commitment to keep on improving as a professional photographer?


  20. #20

    Default Re: What are you good at?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Well, ability to communicate and handle people at your best - any age (even babies) is not enough; sometimes we have to do what's required of any particular situation and circumstances.

    Can your client trust your motives?
    Can you perform consistently, even when you don't feel like it?

    It is important to improve your dependability, secondly have you discover what your word is worth, i.e. how reliable are you? Having the ability to handle tiny tots is just part of your present skill, what about your future learning curve?

    Have you find someone to hold you accountable to help you to keep track of your commitment to keep on improving as a professional photographer?

    Hi there,

    Thanks for your post.

    It is very interesting about things that you have just mentioned.

    With little people, they are actually smarter than adult... or perhaps, I could say, they are a lot more observant than adult. Without a genuine interest to people, one would not able to even get close, let alone winning the trust.

    I always feel happy when I have camera on my hand...yes, there are times I feel not extremely excited with what is going around us, but photography seems to put me back to the realm of my own thought... I love that... if I recall back, there isn't time where "I don't feel like it" as far as photography is concern as I rarely take on any assignment that don't interest me.

    So, I do choose my work... When one charge at a level where people are not booking one's service based on pricing (or should I say, because one is cheap), you start filter your client group and advertise on particular work do filter that even futher. I am happy that most clients are looking for what I do before they book me, so in a sense, I am doing myself a favor to do work that I really enjoy doing and fortunately, I am doing ok doing what I do. It is something I call specialization. Some people are bored with doing same type of work so they prefer to be jack of all trade. There is nothing wrong with it... for me, just find it difficult to enjoy many different area of expertise at the same time. I fall into a category of average man... can only do 1 thing at a time...

    When one decided to live a life as an artist in photography world, there isn't much to mentioned about dependability... My wife always keep me in check with reality... if there is one hardest person to please with my image is my wife... being my own worst critic and even harsher critic from my wife do keep me on my toes...

    As a professional photographer and a member of Master Photographer Association will further my commitment to strive for the best and yes, one would have to keep improving... one won't call themselves a professional if they are not consistent nor dependable.

    One thing that sound deadly simple is "deliver what you have promised"... It is a very simple statement, but a powerful one indeed. So be very careful before making any "promises" and every words do count as what you have mentioned.

    I guess, the title is really aim for your current state of "goodness"... we can always project for the future... and also what I post in the beginning was just small part of me... of course, I have to start the ball rolling...

    but it is TODAY that makes it different as TOMORROW is an unknown and YESTERDAY is something that you CAN NOT do anything about it.

    Truth to be told, I don't know how good will I be in 5 years in terms of personal ability... but I know what I can do Today to make things works for me according to my plan in 5 years time in terms of business perspective.

    This thread is to created partly as a reminder to everyone about something that they are good at TODAY which makes thing happen.

    Thanks for your post.

    Regards,

    Hart
    Last edited by Agetan; 7th August 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •