Thread: New to Nikon SLR

Default New to Nikon SLR

I have been eyeing a Nikon FM2n and is considering getting it here thru the buy/sell section.

However, it does not come with any lens. So I would like to ask what good lenses are out there for Nikon FM2n for someone who's starting out on manual SLR and what's the price range for a second hand lens.

I also have a couple of Diana lenses. Should I try them out first?

Thanks

Default Re: New to Nikon SLR

There will probably be quite a few asking you to get a 50mm f1.8 in either of the various versions (AF-D, AIS, E series, etc.), and I would tend to agree. Or perhaps you're someone who prefers a slightly wider angle, then in that case, 35mm would be nice. Various versions available too: [f1.4 AI, AIS], [f2 AI, AIS, AFD], [f2.8 AI, AIS, AFD].

Prices are about $100+ for the 50mm, and $200 to $600+ for the 35mm, depending on which particular one you get.

You can attach the Diana lenses if you have an adaptor, but I don't expect pictures with any better quality than shooting with the Diana.

If you're looking at zooms, I believe the FM2n had a 35-70mm f3.3-4.5 kit lens... AIS of course. But I'm all for primes. =D
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Nikon SLR

Quote Originally Posted by blismear View Post
    I have been eyeing a Nikon FM2n and is considering getting it here thru the buy/sell section.

However, it does not come with any lens. So I would like to ask what good lenses are out there for Nikon FM2n for someone who's starting out on manual SLR and what's the price range for a second hand lens.

I also have a couple of Diana lenses. Should I try them out first?

Thanks
    Any AF-D or Ai/Ais lenses will work.

Ai Ais lenses are good because they many of them are cheap.

If you use AF-D remember to use the aperture ring to control the aperture, and do not lock the aperture ring at minimum aperture like what you do with modern day cameras.