Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod for beginner and EP1?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tripod for beginner and EP1?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post
    Nope, they got the R1204, G10 ballhead, tripod bag bundle.

Nothing like having the wifey along to keep the pockets tight ! ...I routinely bring mine along when I'm not sure of purchases (so that i got excuse to back out)

Bro, you whack baddies with those skinny aluminium tripod legs, I think they'll fall backwards laughing, but if you grab the legs and whack them with the Ballhead !!! ...it's really gonna hurt ! ...in this case, the CF will do more damage ...that's why the top Tennis and squash racquets are made of CF !!!
    I checked out the T-1204 also. Seems solid. But somehow when I do the two finger tap test, it doesn't absorb the vibration as well as the aluminium one... But I did not check out the R1204, it is basically the same as the T-1204x except that it cannot fold back ala travel tripod style.

But the T-2204x... now that is one darn good tripod...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd August 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jameskkmok View Post
    So far no one faint over my side, am using Gitzo Explorer carbon with Gitzo ballhead on my EPL-1
    I feel like cursing you. I am stuck with my Heavy and Bulky Benro using a 30D with 80-200mm F2.8L. Wanna trade tripod?
    Last edited by wootsk; 2nd August 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I feel like cursing you. I am stuck with my Heavy and Bulky Benro using a 30D with 80-200mm F2.8L. Wanna trade tripod?
    Don't lah, go get yourself a Gitzo tripod match with a RRS ballhead which fill your setup well

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I checked out the T-1204 also. Seems solid. But somehow when I do the two finger tap test, it doesn't absorb the vibration as well as the aluminium one... But I did not check out the R1204, it is basically the same as the T-1204x except that it cannot fold back ala travel tripod style.

But the T-2204x... now that is one darn good tripod...
    Advantages of the R-1204 is the max height at 1310mm(w/o centre column) and it's lighter weight and price as compared to the T-2204x at 1230mm.

Disadvantage is the longer length when retracted.

Anyway, I think you got a great deal on the T1004x, I've felt it and it's certainly stable enough.

Blog Entries

Advantages of the R-1204 is the max height at 1310mm(w/o centre column) and it's lighter weight and price as compared to the T-2204x at 1230mm.

Disadvantage is the longer length when retracted.

Anyway, I think you got a great deal on the T1004x, I've felt it and it's certainly stable enough.
    Well, TK only quote one price anyway. So everyone can get that deal. The T-1004x is only for travelling. Shooting landscapes in Singapore I will still use my manfrotto legs.

Actually if you look at the 1.23 meter height. When you add a small ball head, it will add around 8cm. Add the height of the camera from bottom to viewfinder is another 11cm.

Total height = 123 + 8 +11 = 140cm.

A person's eyes is around 15cm from the top of the head to the eye. So a person that is 1.75m tall, will have eye level around 150cm.

So you have a difference of 10cm only. But no one really mounts a camera at eye level standing straight up. If you do that, you cannot see the top LCD screen. Most people set up the camera around 10-15cm lower than eye level, so they can lean into the camera to be comfortable and able to see the controls/buttons/LCD at the top.

So if you think about it, a tripod height is enough at 1.2. You can still raise the center column 5-10cm without much impact to stability. Which gives you a lot of leeway as well.

That is how I shoot. Some people may not need to see the controls/dials/LCD at the top. I am around 1.79m tall, and I am fine with 1.2m tripods.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd August 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Seriously, TS need to post his height before we can recommand much as tripod varies in height. TS can also go penisula shopping to look at Benro tripod. But light and good tripod are not cheap. Also the tiers and try of lock will affect stability and cost.

There is a guide in CS about tripod --> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

TS please read it. BTW, I was wondering that such good guide can be move to the guide in newbie section and ask starters to refer to it rather than keep asking about tripod.
    Last edited by wootsk; 3rd August 2010 at 10:36 PM.

A person's eyes is around 15cm from the top of the head to the eye. So a person that is 1.75m tall, will have eye level around 150cm.
    I'm 1.83m, so I'll need really tall tripods !

Actually, I've shot with tripod of max height 1125mm without any problems on my Alpha DSLR using mainly the excellent LiveView.

I'm 1.83m, so I'll need really tall tripods !

Actually, I've shot with tripod of max height 1125mm without any problems on my Alpha DSLR using mainly the excellent LiveView.
    Rather than counting such values, mount your camera on your tripod, just bend your body slightly, legs apart (not too wide or close). Look into the viewfinder and check if you are comfortable. If so, this is the height you want for your tripod when extended and open up and centre column not extended. The math caculation is just a guide.

Well, TK only quote one price anyway. So everyone can get that deal. The T-1004x is only for travelling. Shooting landscapes in Singapore I will still use my manfrotto legs.

Actually if you look at the 1.23 meter height. When you add a small ball head, it will add around 8cm. Add the height of the camera from bottom to viewfinder is another 11cm.

Total height = 123 + 8 +11 = 140cm.

So you have a difference of 10cm only. But no one really mounts a camera at eye level standing straight up. If you do that, you cannot see the top LCD screen. Most people set up the camera around 10-15cm lower than eye level, so they can lean into the camera to be comfortable and able to see the controls/buttons/LCD at the top.

So if you think about it, a tripod height is enough at 1.2. You can still raise the center column 5-10cm without much impact to stability. Which gives you a lot of leeway as well.

That is how I shoot. Some people may not need to see the controls/dials/LCD at the top. I am around 1.79m tall, and I am fine with 1.2m tripods.
    My tripod is almost 1.5m when deployed, just up to the base
    I quite like the height leh...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    My tripod is almost 1.5m when deployed, just up to the base
    I quite like the height leh...
    Because you are not like me. I am hunchback of Notre Dame

you should've seen how far I hunched when I was using my first Benro....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you should've seen how far I hunched when I was using my first Benro....
    Well... Maybe I am just short... call me pigmy...

only few cm... negligible difference...

...you guys aren't hunching ! ...you're concentrating !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12