Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: White dot on picture

  1. #1

    Default White dot on picture

    Hi recently just bought a Canon G11 camera. When i take photo in low light there is this one tiny pixel/dot always at the same spot of the picture. in is only visible in dark picture like night photography with dark sky. May i know is it the sensor or the lens particles or shall i send it for a check at Canon? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    wanna show us a pic???
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

  3. #3
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Hot pixel related to sensor....?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Quote Originally Posted by jeryll View Post
    Hi recently just bought a Canon G11 camera. When i take photo in low light there is this one tiny pixel/dot always at the same spot of the picture. in is only visible in dark picture like night photography with dark sky. May i know is it the sensor or the lens particles or shall i send it for a check at Canon? Thanks.
    You are taking low-light photo, with ISO 800 or more???

    If that the case, it is due to high ISO noise.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  5. #5

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    i don't think it's noise will try post pics

  6. #6

    Default Re: White dot on picture





    Last edited by jeryll; 29th July 2010 at 11:23 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: White dot on picture






    Different crop due to different file size L and M size
    Last edited by jeryll; 29th July 2010 at 11:25 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    G11





    left top down 4 story
    Last edited by jeryll; 30th July 2010 at 12:34 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: White dot on picture






  10. #10

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    I actually got the F200EXR at first and it was much worst. That's how i discover the white dot issue.

  11. #11

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Try taking a photo in a completely dark condition with lowest ISO.

    ie with cap on if your compact have it.


    If the white dot still exist, that mean you have burn out pixel.

    Sent to CSC if it is still under warranty
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  12. #12

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Here's one from F200EXR it's a lot worst. could it be the dust on the lens or sensor.
    As i have read if dust on sensor it will appear as black on pics?







    I discover it as i was scrolling through the pics on my pc and i notice the same white dot keeps appearing at the same spot on differt pics. At first i thought it was my monitor but it's not.

  13. #13

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Quote Originally Posted by jeryll View Post
    Here's one from F200EXR it's a lot worst. could it be the dust on the lens or sensor.
    As i have read if dust on sensor it will appear as black on pics?







    I discover it as i was scrolling through the pics on my pc and i notice the same white dot keeps appearing at the same spot on differt pics. At first i thought it was my monitor but it's not.
    Did you use your camera to shoot directly at the sun???? Your F200EXR photo looks like a sunspot in a dark background.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  14. #14

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Don't know how to use photobucket. Apparenty it doesn't show the full size of the pics they scale it down from 6MP to 1024. All details are gone.

  15. #15

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Sorry, i use the moon picture as a reference. its not the big white spot but around the moon. and the buildings too. its alot more apparent with the full 6MP pics. it's alot of little tiny white dots/pixel.

  16. #16

    Default Re: White dot on picture



    Nope They are not STARS!

  17. #17

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Taken on F200EXR
    Just incase you think that it only happens at night.

    Here's one at macro mode

    Red circle indicate white dots/pixel.





    Last edited by jeryll; 30th July 2010 at 12:31 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Since the location that your so call white dot is not fixed, it is most likely to be noise due to ISO setting or JPG processing.

    Your moon photo are taken with ISO 400, the white dot maybe due to ISO. Since your flower photo had no exif, there are no way i can tell what setting you use for this shot.

    Please do try to take a completely black photo with different ISO to know the max ISO that you can use with acceptable ISO noise.

    The white dot are not visible when i magnified using Aperture or Capture One software, it is possible to be cause by your editing software.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  19. #19

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    Try taking a photo in a completely dark condition with lowest ISO.

    ie with cap on if your compact have it.


    If the white dot still exist, that mean you have burn out pixel.

    Sent to CSC if it is still under warranty
    Yup tried taking with ISO 80 auto covered with a black t-shirt and swith off the lights. Yes the spot is still there.

    Bought from electrical store still within 7 day exchange period. do you guys think i should change to a DSLR instead becos of the price range or is there any better recommendation like LX5 or D3000 or Sony nex3/5 (not sure of the price though) or EX1 samsung?
    Bascically want a very good IQ camera that'll last a while. Any suggestion greatly appreciated as in a lost on what to get.

    Or just exchange for another unit of G11?Thanks!
    Last edited by jeryll; 30th July 2010 at 01:05 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: White dot on picture

    This one should have the Exif

    Anyway this is a photo taken with F200 which i have returned for the G11.



    Thanks dleugene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •