Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is a web presence to a commercial photographer?

Default Re: How important is a web presence to a commercial photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    When was the last time you opened a yellow pages book?

Internet is how people find things these days, outside of word of mouth...
    You will be surprise that those established family will try to call photographers in yellow pages rather than look at the web. I am talking about grandpa in his 60-70s and wanted a whole family photos...

As I mention, if your target market is internet savvy, then it is probably better to concentrate on the web but if your target market is people who use to life without internet and no computer, the approach is a lot different.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How important is a web presence to a commercial photographer?

Thanks for your input.
    A web presence is not very useful when all the photographer does is to set up a crappy-looking website (or worse, a flash-overflow one) and expects millions to flock to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How important is a web presence to a commercial photographer?

Thanks for your input.
    have a web presence for photographers is very important.
    but I can't tell you is it important to a commercial photographer as I'm not.

to me is just like a virtual shopfront, many customers get to know my works, products and services before decided to engage me, especially many people get to know me from their online social networks.
    But Steve Stint wrote in his book said that he don't have a website, and don't use mailing list too, since he only able to serve about 100 customers per year, why waste the money and energy to reach out few thousands potential customers and not able to serve them? by word of mouth he already can get more than he able to handle.
    To me which is very truth, to maintenance the website which is very high cost, either you pay someone to do it or you do it yourself.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    have a web presence for photographers is very important.
    but I can't tell you is it important to a commercial photographer as I'm not.

to me is just like a virtual shopfront, many customers get to know my works, products and services before decided to engage me, especially many people get to know me from their online social networks.
    But Steve Stint wrote in his book said that he don't have a website, and don't use mailing list too, since he only able to serve about 100 customers per year, why waste the money and energy to reach out few thousands potential customers and not able to serve them? by word of mouth he already can get more than he able to handle.
    To me which is very truth, to maintenance the website which is very high cost, either you pay someone to do it or you do it yourself.
    I believe what the TS mentioned, commercial photography is very much what we are doing, offering our photography commercially.

yes, some don't do much in terms of website and mailing list but they have a very different approach.

If you are looking for more exposure and allow your existing client to show your work around, website is quite handy to complete the form of word of mouth.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    I believe what the TS mentioned, commercial photography is very much what we are doing, offering our photography commercially.

yes, some don't do much in terms of website and mailing list but they have a very different approach.

If you are looking for more exposure and allow your existing client to show your work around, website is quite handy to complete the form of word of mouth.

Regards,

Hart
    sorry Hart, my definition is slightly different, we are professional photographers, but both of us serve in wedding, portraiture field etc, and the end users are consumers. and of course, our photos are merchantable, by MPA definition.

commercial photography to me is like Fashion, Advertising, Industrial, Architecture, end users are mainly corporate or company.

For Sion, I know he don't do what we do, so best let him clarify a little, so able to answer his question better.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    sorry Hart, my definition is slightly different, we are professional photographers, but both of us serve in wedding, portraiture field etc, and the end users are consumers. and of course, our photos are merchantable, by MPA definition.

commercial photography to me is like Fashion, Advertising, Industrial, Architecture, end users are mainly corporate or company.

For Sion, I know he don't do what we do, so best let him clarify a little, so able to answer his question better.
    I agree. The topic TS is asking is one big umbrella. Its hard to explain it cause there are many industries and different types of customer base. Whether its a freelance job, Full time or maybe TS wants to be a boss of his company starting small or thinking about increasing the size of the company etc.

It depends on what TS hope to achieve or the target he hopes to see at the end.
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Back to the question,

Imagine you are buying or seeking a service/product, searched online and no relevant results.

Would you engage or purchase it on this first impression?

In my case, I would give it a second thought. Any proper modern products/service ought to have a proper website set up, introducing themselves, publishing their works or whatsoever.
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

All I can say is the web presence does help a lot for clients to scrutinise your work before they will even commit to give you a call, let alone giving you the order.

Hi Sion

You may find PDN July 2010, "make your web site client-friendly" a good read.

A professional looking website will surely helps. If the webpage is poorly done, might as well don't setup any.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

It's important as it's promote the bussiness. Good portfolio does help alots.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

when you mention "commercial photographer", what is your defination?

As a wedding photographer a website is perhaps important as your client are the general public.
    If you're a photographer in the advertising industry working with advertising agencies and design house, the web presence will make little difference. The advertising industry is a small and tight nitted industry, if you're good, the market will know by word of mouth. Most agency do not source for photographers from the web but work with those they have work with, those already known in the market or by recommendation.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    when you mention "commercial photographer", what is your defination?

As a wedding photographer a website is perhaps important as your client are the general public.
    If you're a photographer in the advertising industry working with advertising agencies and design house, the web presence will make little difference. The advertising industry is a small and tight nitted industry, if you're good, the market will know by word of mouth. Most agency do not source for photographers from the web but work with those they have work with, those already known in the market or by recommendation.
    This is correct. Words of mouth and net working is important.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

I think having your portfolio online is important.
    But, unless you advertise heavily or have keywords that rank high in google, it won't bring in many clients who don't otherwise know about you.
    However, when a client finds you and needs to see more examples of your work before making their decision, it is invaluable to have an online presence.

2 cents worth.

I think a portfolio website deserves more investment than a camera or good lens.

Quite sure some of you will contest that..
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

Quote Originally Posted by sprewell View Post
    2 cents worth.

I think a portfolio website deserves more investment than a camera or good lens.

Quite sure some of you will contest that..
    Not contesting, but why?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12