Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: One Hand Operation

  1. #1

    Default One Hand Operation

    Hi All am interested in DSLR photography but

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy75 View Post
    Hi All am interested in DSLR photography but
    But what?

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy75 View Post
    Hi All am interested in DSLR photography but
    ?????huh???????

  4. #4

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    I'm guessing he's concerned about one-handed operation. Looks like he did one-handed typing.

    If you shoot in Auto or have pre-set your settings, a DSLR does permit for one-handed operation (especially the models with live view). But it's not considered the "right" way to hold it (you should support the lens weight with your left hand) and if you buy a higher-end model and attach a good lens, you better have a very very strong wrist.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,701

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    I think he is asking whether DSLR can be operated with one hand by looking at his tread title.

    Yes you can . . . not an issue. just need some practise.
    (Just like cars can be driven for the disabled too. Artists using their leg/mouth to paint only)

    There is a will, there is always a way.
    Don't let physical disability hinders your passion.

    Sometime, we do operate with only one hand . . . when the other is holding other things.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Hi TS, if you have any difficulty using 2 hands, probably you would need a tripod to help steady the heavy dslr...alternatively, you can get a light cam?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  7. #7

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Dear Bros my heartfelt thanks to all your replies..and words of encouragement. Me appreciate them so much. Just to clarify (embrassing really) on my half posted thread coz I changed my mind as I did not how to compse the msg re. my queries.. didn't realise the thread got submitted as I had clicked Back tab. Nonetheless my apologies n dis late reply

    As u have all guessed yes I do stuff in life with one hand..mostly..lost the use of the other in a road accident. (ermm..my other arm is still there - I just can't move it as norm) At that time I was really interested in getting a DSLR but was worried tat it wud be too much for me to handle. Finally decided to take a leap in faith and now glad to say I hv a NEX-5 n to my relief I can still manage...in my way

    On another note, now tat I hv some shooting time, I wud like to seek experienced bros for your advise - Observed tat the image taken with my NEX is tad small compared to posted pics taken with a std DSLR..It is true tat image taken with DSLR will be bigger? Wud there be significant difference? Or is it due to the lens?

    Sorry in adv. if my questions are silly..am newbie and hoping to learn from tis great forum. Wishing all bros who has replied..and all others in CS a bright, healthly n prosperous 2011!

    Kind Regards
    Andy75
    Last edited by Andy75; 10th January 2011 at 02:26 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Hi , can you clarify when you say your NEX pictures are tad small . Hmm cos the NEX has a APS-C sensor , so its capable of rendering images from web size , to A4 and beyond.

    Perhaps its a matter of re sizing on your screen.

    One alternative is to use a body brace that would stablise the DSLR and operate it with one hand. alternative is to do tethered shooting , using the computer to adjust the settings but you will need a lot of space for that, and a tripod to mount the camera onto.
    Alpha and Omega

  9. #9

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy75 View Post
    On another note, now tat I hv some shooting time, I wud like to seek experienced bros for your advise - Observed tat the image taken with my NEX is tad small compared to posted pics taken with a std DSLR..It is true tat image taken with DSLR will be bigger? Wud there be significant difference? Or is it due to the lens?

    Sorry in adv. if my questions are silly..am newbie and hoping to learn from tis great forum. Wishing all bros who has replied..and all others in CS a bright, healthly n prosperous 2011!

    Kind Regards
    Andy75
    "Small" in what sense? Filesize? Resolution? In terms of resolution, you have the same as other DSLRs using the same sensor, like the D90. In terms of filesize, this depends greatly on the file content and any retouching in post-process.

    If you can give us an example or clarification, it would help, because as it is your description makes no sense - the NEX uses a DSLR sensor.
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,701

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Glad that you have got yourself a camera at last and welcome to the world of digital.

    i believe that you are talking about the size of the image in your photo. Just need to move forward to take the picture or zoom. Hope it helps.

    Shoot more and post more and you will learn more too.

    Don't let your disabilities stop your passion. Just remember, no one will pity you if you give up. But will help you if you are willing to help yourself.

    Cheers.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Sup Andy.

    The picture is small hmmm?

    The sensor is DSLR sized as mentioned by Rashkae, and if im not wrong, is actually marginally larger than a canon 550D.

    Did ya check what size you are shooting at? S,M,L,RAW?
    Insert Ego Here

  12. #12

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Hi Andy, it might interest you to know that there is at least one respected pro photographer in Singapore who works with one prosthetic hand (I'm not mentioning names cause I don't think he wants to call attention to it). I've seen him work with everything from 35mm to large format gear, and frankly he's so adept with his gear I'd almost forgotten about his hand.
    And to be clear, my respect for him is not because of his condition (I cannot use the word 'disability' here!), but because of the quality of his work, his humility and work ethic.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    One handed AF and shoot i think quite straight forward. But one hand adjustment of aperture & shutter speed would be very tricky... risk dropping the camera if not careful. However, i think its possible if you have the camera strapped around your neck. Perhaps getting a lighter camera would place less stress on the wrist.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 10th January 2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  14. #14

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Hi TS,

    Don't let your disabilities get in the way. Be it one hand operation with or without supporting aids, it's definitely do-able! Sure you might experience difficultly or a steeper learning curve, but life is all about challenges and how we conquer it.

    Share with us your pictures sometimes soon!
    Playing with M43.

  15. #15

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    you can try this chest and shoulder support from novoflex. http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...ulder-support/

    disclaimer: i have no commercial connection with the above company.

  16. #16

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy75 View Post
    Dear Bros my heartfelt thanks to all your replies..and words of encouragement. Me appreciate them so much. Just to clarify (embrassing really) on my half posted thread coz I changed my mind as I did not how to compse the msg re. my queries.. didn't realise the thread got submitted as I had clicked Back tab. Nonetheless my apologies n dis late reply

    As u have all guessed yes I do stuff in life with one hand..mostly..lost the use of the other in a road accident. (ermm..my other arm is still there - I just can't move it as norm) At that time I was really interested in getting a DSLR but was worried tat it wud be too much for me to handle. Finally decided to take a leap in faith and now glad to say I hv a NEX-5 n to my relief I can still manage...in my way

    On another note, now tat I hv some shooting time, I wud like to seek experienced bros for your advise - Observed tat the image taken with my NEX is tad small compared to posted pics taken with a std DSLR..It is true tat image taken with DSLR will be bigger? Wud there be significant difference? Or is it due to the lens?

    Sorry in adv. if my questions are silly..am newbie and hoping to learn from tis great forum. Wishing all bros who has replied..and all others in CS a bright, healthly n prosperous 2011!

    Kind Regards
    Andy75

    Dont worry, use available aids to make photo-taking a breeze. If none
    is available design a simple one yourself so that you can do all the adjustment
    with one hand. My brother is just like you. He can only use one hand and
    has one good leg. The other is deformed and weak. Depite his condition
    he manage to complete his masters degree employed for many years, raised a
    family of 3, retired and now doing community work.
    You can design a support that will hang the camera to a comfortable position
    according to your preference. Try out different designs and positions until you
    get one that is best for you. Go for it. Photography is wonderful.

  17. #17

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Be an inspiration to the community! Touch people heart with your photos.

    Good luck to you!
    Since November 2010~

  18. #18

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Hope to see your photos soon ! Good luck !
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

  19. #19

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Andy75 bro, way to go.. Faith makes people strong! Just a point, i think the smaller DSLR (ie. xxxD or Dxxxx series) will make the hand esp finger painful while gripping it over a long period of time.

    Cheers!

  20. #20

    Default Re: One Hand Operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    Hi , can you clarify when you say your NEX pictures are tad small . Hmm cos the NEX has a APS-C sensor , so its capable of rendering images from web size , to A4 and beyond.

    Perhaps its a matter of re sizing on your screen.

    One alternative is to use a body brace that would stablise the DSLR and operate it with one hand. alternative is to do tethered shooting , using the computer to adjust the settings but you will need a lot of space for that, and a tripod to mount the camera onto.
    Tks for yr reply bro.
    Ermm..no I am referring to the image size as you take em and when you view them in LiveViewer (LCD panel) or on yr PC.

    During my purchase, I did try on the C550D n NEX and took some shots on a toy car..noticed that upon viewback on the LCD the subject appears bigger for C550D as compare to NEX-5..colours were more vibrant on the latter thou' (prob just due to settings). In doubts tat the C550D might too big to handle so decided to get NEX-5. Now kindda of thinking if should hv got the 550D instead. Looking at it now..doesn't seem tat big to me liao

    So basically am just wondering if there is a lot of difference in the image. Just chked with one salespax at shop the other day he informed that DSLRs uses mirror (???) so sure the image will be 30% larger as compared to NEX. So tatz why I am asking..Plse bear with me for my inadequate knowledge on topic. Thanks bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    "Small" in what sense? Filesize? Resolution? In terms of resolution, you have the same as other DSLRs using the same sensor, like the D90. In terms of filesize, this depends greatly on the file content and any retouching in post-process.

    If you can give us an example or clarification, it would help, because as it is your description makes no sense - the NEX uses a DSLR sensor.
    Tks bro. Explaination to my best of know-how as above. Will try to provide a pic for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    Glad that you have got yourself a camera at last and welcome to the world of digital.

    i believe that you are talking about the size of the image in your photo. Just need to move forward to take the picture or zoom. Hope it helps.

    Shoot more and post more and you will learn more too.

    Don't let your disabilities stop your passion. Just remember, no one will pity you if you give up. But will help you if you are willing to help yourself.

    Cheers.
    Thanks bro. It is a wonderful world indeed..and fun too. Beri satisfiying to see a well taken picture. Yup totally agree with you on yr comment. Will keep it always in my mind as motivation at times when feeling low.


    Quote Originally Posted by BaneMKII View Post
    Sup Andy.

    The picture is small hmmm?

    The sensor is DSLR sized as mentioned by Rashkae, and if im not wrong, is actually marginally larger than a canon 550D.

    Did ya check what size you are shooting at? S,M,L,RAW?
    Sup bro..thanks for yr reply. . well in the settings, I selected Jpeg format, pic quality as VIVID and mode as Program where you can adjust the aperture n exposure. Do all these settings affect the image size in the photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Hi Andy, it might interest you to know that there is at least one respected pro photographer in Singapore who works with one prosthetic hand (I'm not mentioning names cause I don't think he wants to call attention to it). I've seen him work with everything from 35mm to large format gear, and frankly he's so adept with his gear I'd almost forgotten about his hand.
    And to be clear, my respect for him is not because of his condition (I cannot use the word 'disability' here!), but because of the quality of his work, his humility and work ethic.
    Woa now that is truly inspirationally to me Possible to PM me if he has any online portal on him or his work? sure can learn from him thou'. Thanks for sharing the info bro ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •