Thread: sHANGHAI

Default sHANGHAI

hi all,

i'll be in Shanghai at Aug 5-9 for a company trip
    we have a free-two day without any schedule for place to go.As im trying to get all those nearby areas of attraction(we'll be staying at Charms Hotel) to shoot.
    is it hard to do a photowalk there? any safety/securiry issues?
    my main concern is i cant speak and understand Mandarin so going afar from the hotel is not advisable
    by the way all of our places to visit:
    1.Shanghai World Financial Center
    2. Madam Tuassaud's The Bund
    3.Nanjing Road
    4. Shanghai Expo
    a 1 whole day will be spend on world Expo
    im seeking for advice for those nearby attractions

thanks in advance

Default Re: sHANGHAI

Quote Originally Posted by duffydufs View Post
    hi all,

we have a free-two day without any schedule for place to go.As im trying to get all those nearby areas of attraction(we'll be staying at Charms Hotel) to shoot.
    my main concern is i cant speak and understand Mandarin so going afar from the hotel is not advisable
    3.Nanjing Road
    4. Shanghai Expo

thanks in advance
    For expo related you may refer to this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723092

It is quite tourist friendly now in Shanghai (compared to 1.5 years ago). Staff in metro stations, taxi drivers are friendly etc. Don't worry too much.

For other suggestion, you might want to search a few page back, a lot info on Shanghai there.

hi all,

3.Nanjing Road
    4. Shanghai Expo

thanks in advance
    You can try walking along the Nanjing road attraction all the way to the Bund, as I remember it is just one street away from Charms Hotel. From the Bund , it is also pretty near to Yu Yan where there is a whole lot of attractions there, new and old.

Best bet is to get a tourist map and plan your route for your free days. From Jiujiang Lu (Charms Hotel) to the bund areas is really walking distance with plenty of photo op if you want to explore the areas. Only advice is to watch out for touts and young girls who offers you services. Its pretty safe in the day actually m but best to dress down, with Expo in town, its still a lot safer for foreigners.

I;m surprise Charms is still popular with Singaporeans.

Blog Entries

hi all,

3.Nanjing Road
    4. Shanghai Expo

thanks in advance
    There are so many things to see, buy, eat in shanghai... What are the things that interest you more?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    For expo related you may refer to this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723092

It is quite tourist friendly now in Shanghai (compared to 1.5 years ago). Staff in metro stations, taxi drivers are friendly etc. Don't worry too much.

For other suggestion, you might want to search a few page back, a lot info on Shanghai there.
    In the old days, like 5-10 years ago, you only get favorable treatment when talking in Shanghainese. New visitors to Shanghai nowadays have a much difficult time if they want to pick up the dialect. LOL.

But I like the Shanghai 5 years ago. When Xiangyang market is still around. Nowadays, everything is just too new too modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gilcrest View Post
    You can try walking along the Nanjing road attraction all the way to the Bund, as I remember it is just one street away from Charms Hotel. From the Bund , it is also pretty near to Yu Yan where there is a whole lot of attractions there, new and old.

Best bet is to get a tourist map and plan your route for your free days. From Jiujiang Lu (Charms Hotel) to the bund areas is really walking distance with plenty of photo op if you want to explore the areas. Only advice is to watch out for touts and young girls who offers you services. Its pretty safe in the day actually m but best to dress down, with Expo in town, its still a lot safer for foreigners.

I;m surprise Charms is still popular with Singaporeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There are so many things to see, buy, eat in shanghai... What are the things that interest you more?
    In the old days, like 5-10 years ago, you only get favorable treatment when talking in Shanghainese. New visitors to Shanghai nowadays have a much difficult time if they want to pick up the dialect. LOL.

But I like the Shanghai 5 years ago. When Xiangyang market is still around. Nowadays, everything is just too new too modern.
    Thanks for the reply. i prefer those walking distance from the hotel, because i dont want to get lost there

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply. i prefer those walking distance from the hotel, because i dont want to get lost there
    There is the Metro subway (MRT). You can go everywhere in it.

And you can never get lost in Shanghai. If you feel you are lost, wave your hand, grab a cab, and go back to your hotel, or a landmark you are familiar with. Cab fare is a lot cheaper than SG...

There is so much to see,buy,eat in Shanghai. Why limit yourself?

Blog Entries

Anyway, places you should see in Shanghai (walking distance around you)

Nanjing road

Yuyuan (aka ChenHuang Miao)

The Bund (Wai Tan). Perfect to shoot sunrise here.

BinJiangDaDao (the bund from the other side of the river. Take the Time Tunnel (ShiGuangShuiDao) across. cost RMB30 per pax (yes it is quite a rip off). Or, take the Metro subway to Line 2 Lu Jia Zui Station. And walk towards Super Brand Mall (ZhengDaGuangChang). Perfect to shoot sunset here.

You can use Google maps to map everything out. The chinese version is much better for China. http://ditu.google.cn/maps?hl=zh-CN&tab=wl
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd August 2010 at 10:30 AM.

Anyway, places you should see in Shanghai (walking distance around you)

Nanjing road

Yuyuan (aka ChenHuang Miao)

The Bund (Wai Tan). Perfect to shoot sunrise here.

BinJiangDaDao (the bund from the other side of the river. Take the Time Tunnel (ShiGuangShuiDao) across. cost RMB30 per pax (yes it is quite a rip off). Or, take the Metro subway to Line 2 Lu Jia Zui Station. And walk towards Super Brand Mall (ZhengDaGuangChang). Perfect to shoot sunset here.

You can use Google maps to map everything out. The chinese version is much better for China. http://ditu.google.cn/maps?hl=zh-CN&tab=wl
    that's the problem,. i cant read and speak Chinese
    thanks daredevil.i've actually planned our itenerary there.but let's see once i get there...:
    thanks and more power