Thread: Kinabalu & Microdrive

Default Kinabalu & Microdrive

Has anyone use a MD (microdrive) at Mt Kinabalu's summit? Does it work at that altitude?
    Last edited by cyanbloodbane; 9th May 2004 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanbloodbane
    Has anyone use a MD at Mt Kinabalu's summit? Does it work at that altitude?
    Definitely will work... went to the summit with an old Sony MD player... will work... batteries, errr.... dunno will last long or not... be careful of the rain... always rains below 8000 feet... the rest of the trip up is cold...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Has anyone use a MD at Mt Kinabalu's summit?
    I did bring my MD but didnít use it as my primary card. Just for spare/backup, incase my CF cards run out of space.

Does it work at that altitude?
    Itís vulnerable.

IBM warns against MD use above 10,000 feet (3,048 meter). Mt. Kinabalu is 4,101 meter high.
    MDís recommended operating temperature is 0-55įC. The temperature there may drop down to the freezing point (0-5įC).

Itís your call..

How about CF card?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCool
    How about CF card?
    CF card should be ok... went up kinabalu and honestly, it ain't very freezing... at one point went to -3 degrees C but its at the summit... the rest of the way should be under normal operating condition for CF cards
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

dont think any problem at cold weathers.. in states n europe the winter alone can be -5 to -10 easily..

cyan, u going kinabalu huh?

if u really going... start heading for the summit at 1 am... by that time u reach the summit enough for hot coffee from the Laban Rata Rest House and watch the sun rise... so nice... too bad my camera batt. was flat... sigh... if u really go post ur pics here!

Yes, head up to the Summit earlier. Normal is 2am. As the climb may be a bit tiring, an additional hour may make you less stressful to make it to the summit but daybreak. Lotsa good pictures you can take there. Have fun!

Sure the MD will work. I've use it in a snowy atmosphere before no problem. And that is definately colder than Mt Kinabalu.

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    Yes, head up to the Summit earlier. Normal is 2am. As the climb may be a bit tiring, an additional hour may make you less stressful to make it to the summit but daybreak. Lotsa good pictures you can take there. Have fun!
    Yup its true. If you carry your camera equipment and if your camera is an slr i suggest it go in a rucksack or camera bag!

Quote Originally Posted by wilis128
    dont think any problem at cold weathers.. in states n europe the winter alone can be -5 to -10 easily..

cyan, u going kinabalu huh?
    Yup. Going this May end. Am a little worried on using the microdrive at that altitude. Any way looks like I would need a 1GB CF for this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    Sure thing. Will do that!

Dun worry, I used my 340MB up and down, no problem at all.