Thread: Abusive Tour Guide

Default Abusive Tour Guide

See this. Really hilarious. Normally I don't go for guided tour as free and easy is more my idea of relaxation. But videoing this abusive tour guide and putting on Youtube should be great fun. It's all about money. Wonder what kind of dinner she arranged for the tour group.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...hop-dont-come/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXyBVgUxY04
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th July 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Default Re: Abusive Tour Guide

watching it now, but i have never enjoyed package tours, mainly because singaporeans will be singaporeans, and there will always be a few bad eggs that are not 自动.

the ugly behaviour ranges from the usual kiasuness, to rushing to sweep all the best food during meals and leaving nothing for the rest of the party at the table.

i usually don't say anything until it gets done again and again.. and then almost every meal is rice + a lot of vegetables and plain clear soup.

so to avoid such unhappiness, and also to avoid all the "come, 30 minutes sit here, take pictures already we go another 2 hour ride to another 10-20 minute place..." rubbish... i would rather spend some time planning out the things, booking, etc.. this is also a kind of fun, actually. you feel more in control, you know more about the place when you go, and you will actually be more interested in it, actually.

When will they do this here (I think we almost got no consumer protection here?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Aa9...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    watching it now, but i have never enjoyed package tours, mainly because singaporeans will be singaporeans, and there will always be a few bad eggs that are not 自动.

the ugly behaviour ranges from the usual kiasuness, to rushing to sweep all the best food during meals and leaving nothing for the rest of the party at the table.

i usually don't say anything until it gets done again and again.. and then almost every meal is rice + a lot of vegetables and plain clear soup.

so to avoid such unhappiness, and also to avoid all the "come, 30 minutes sit here, take pictures already we go another 2 hour ride to another 10-20 minute place..." rubbish... i would rather spend some time planning out the things, booking, etc.. this is also a kind of fun, actually. you feel more in control, you know more about the place when you go, and you will actually be more interested in it, actually.
    or usually do a free and easy. just hire a coach, self plan ur tour. dun have to squeeze with others. best part is u dun have to wake up so early during tours too

香港導遊罵大陸遊客

watch this, tourism board cant really do anything. cant suspend their license.
    Last edited by ninelives; 28th July 2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Objection !!!

I understand that the basic mthly pay of a tour guide in China is less than the price of a B + W uv filter. They survive mainly on tips and commissions.

nice news clip from 9lives

It is a systemic problem. It seems some of the HK tour agencies don't pay salaries to tour guides and even expect them to be out of pocket handling the tour groups.
    Tour guides earn from commissions of things bought by tourists.

Have you all seen the TV news of the tour guide apologising?
    She cannot even speak Cantonese properly.
    Clearly then, she is not a HK born Chinese.
    She is PRC-Chinese.
    It is a case of a PRC-Chinese tour guide working in HK, insulting her own PRC countrymen.

The bad practice of PRC cut throat ultra low price tours to HK is the origin of this problem.
    Stop this.
    Start paying HK tour guides some reasonable basic salary.

Her tirade is not the problem. It is the end result of a bad system until some tour guide cannot tolerate anymore.

The PRC tour group are from the poor of China. So we cannot expect them to buy lots of jewellery + LV + Pradas + Rolexes....If they are rich they do not need to go on such super low fare tours in the 1st place.

So the whole business model is wrong....
    Last edited by ricohflex; 29th July 2010 at 07:01 AM.

Video Unplayable

Video Unplayable
    Last edited by denniskee; 29th July 2010 at 12:52 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

I wonder, if S'pore have such a tour guide, what will happen to our tourism when S'pore just announced the arrival rate just increased.

In the video, the female tour guide said she has to pay for their meals & accomodations during the tour.

The whole travel fares which the tourists paid are lesser than the air tickets; So the travel agency/tour guide are the one who has to subsidise the remaining amount.

It's probably a bad practice that is so wide spread in China now. The Chinese are crafty when it comes to making money.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    When will they do this here (I think we almost got no consumer protection here?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Aa9...eature=related
    Even with the 7 days cooling period in Hong Kong, I think some jewelry retailers can still think of a way to find loopholes.

One of my friend bought a diamond ring from a retailer in HK. Later, when she returns to hotel, she finds that the diamond has some flaws(fine lines) in it; It's not the one she saw in the showroom. She returns to the shop to exchange for another diamond. They tell her it takes some time to replace the diamond in the ring, so they will deliver it to her hotel when it's ready.

Yes, and they finally choose the very last minutes of her departure day to return the ring to her(she still believes the retailer will change the diamond for her). And the ring is delivered to the hotel counter staff in such a way that there is no way you can travel to the retailer in the last minutes as you will be leaving.

There are also many fake medicinal products sold in HK. There is no way we can find out until it's too late when we brought it back for consumption.

;

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post

One of my friend bought a diamond ring from a retailer in HK. Later, when she returns to hotel, she finds that the diamond has some flaws(fine lines) in it; It's not the one she saw in the showroom.

;
    my friend encountered this in Europe. those people can perform magic one..meaning they are so fast you can't see they have swap the products. they can give you empty box and you wont notice even thought you have double or triple check.
    Objection !!!