Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: don't know which lens to get..

  1. #1

    Default don't know which lens to get..

    still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

    Canon EF 200mm?
    Canon EF 135mm?
    Canon EF 24-105mm?

    or any recommendation?
    not to impress but shoot to express

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Get the 24-105. It's a pretty good lens, plus you get the versatility of using it as a walkabout lens. 200mm and 135mm will probably be too long for portraits since you're using a crop body. The only problem is it's f4, which might not give you much bokeh, so alternatively you might want to consider the 85 f/1.8 or the 50 f/1.8 instead.
    Photo Blog. Film Fanatic.

  3. #3

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by izerkudie View Post
    still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

    Canon EF 200mm?
    Canon EF 135mm?
    Canon EF 24-105mm?

    or any recommendation?
    erm ur lenses aren't really for portrait... except maybe the 135mm
    if u normal, recommend u get a 17-55 or 17-50 f2.8
    if u rich, buy the 24-70 f2.8
    if u poor, buy the 50mm f1.8

    Canon 550D Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 HSM OS | 50mm f1.8 II | 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | Di622 | BP-550D

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    sigma 24-70 f2.8 is also in the normal range. its worth considering cos of its price.

  5. #5

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    If it's strictly portraits, then get the Canon EF 135mm. But then it more for face and half body. 135mm on a cropped camera is already quite tight so 200mm will be even worse.

    If you intend to do more full body shot,get the 24-105
    Last edited by photoart; 27th July 2010 at 11:53 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    If it's strictly portraits, then get the Canon EF 135mm. But then it more for face and half body. 135mm on a cropped camera is already quite tight so 200mm will be even worse.

    If you intend to do more full body shot,get the 24-105
    pardon me. 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm. On top of that, min. focus distance is 1.3m. Isn't it too difficult to take portraits with that? Just wondering cuz i always thought 35mm - 50mm will be good for portraitures on a cropped body.
    Last edited by virtualme78; 28th July 2010 at 12:00 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by izerkudie View Post
    still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

    Canon EF 200mm?
    Canon EF 135mm?
    Canon EF 24-105mm?

    or any recommendation?
    Rent and test. You need to determine for yourself which lens fits your shooting style most.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by izerkudie View Post
    still confused with which lens to match with my canon 7d for outdoor portrait, as i will be getting a new lense..any friends or brothers please share your advice

    Canon EF 200mm?
    Canon EF 135mm?
    Canon EF 24-105mm?

    or any recommendation?
    Why did you shortlist these 3 in the first place?
    What kind of portraits you looking for? Full body/Half body/Head shot?
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  9. #9

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by virtualme78 View Post
    pardon me. 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm. On top of that, min. focus distance is 1.3m. Isn't it too difficult to take portraits with that? Just wondering cuz i always thought 35mm - 50mm will be good for portraitures on a cropped body.
    yes 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm which means that the photographer will have to stand pretty far away already. So imagine, for the 200mm(X1.6= 320), the photographer will even have to stand further... not impossible... but then you might need to shout to give instructions to the models consider the distance.


    the min focus means that the lens will not focus less than 1.3m. Meaning that if you are standing just 1m away from the model, it will not be able to focus.

    it doesnt mean that it will not focus when you are more than 1.3m (eg 2m away)

    hope you understand what I am trying to explain

    yes for a cropped body,35mm - 50mm is ideal. But if the photographer likes to take more face close-ups, that means he will have to get closer if he's on a 35mm length. Being close to the model might cause some "distortion" that might cause the model's face to look rounder and the nostrils to look enlarged etc

    hence TS should state what kind of portraits he normally does so that CSers can advise better
    Last edited by photoart; 28th July 2010 at 11:18 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    yes 135mm x 1.6 crop factor = 216mm which means that the photographer will have to stand pretty far away already. So imagine, for the 200mm(X1.6= 320), the photographer will even have to stand further... not impossible... but then you might need to shout to give instructions to the models consider the distance.


    the min focus means that the lens will not focus less than 1.3m. Meaning that if you are standing just 1m away from the model, it will not be able to focus.

    it doesnt mean that it will not focus when you are more than 1.3m (eg 2m away)

    hope you understand what I am trying to explain

    yes for a cropped body,35mm - 50mm is ideal. But if the photographer likes to take more face close-ups, that means he will have to get closer if he's on a 35mm length. Being close to the model might cause some "distortion" that might cause the model's face to look rounder and the nostrils to look enlarged etc

    hence TS should state what kind of portraits he normally does so that CSers can advise better
    Easier still, like what Rashkae said, go rent these shortlisted lenses and try on your own.

    The main points are what you have written, on top of all the factors of considerations, there is the TS's own preferences.

  11. #11
    Senior Member engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    85/1.2L II

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    85/1.2L II
    he's using cropped body.. so maybe 50L?

  13. #13

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    hi guys, thanks for the info & feedbacks,
    im looking at fullbody & body, maybe i shall try out this weekend
    not to impress but shoot to express

  14. #14

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Bro try to rent the lens and decide which one you prefer. If you chose EF 135mm F2. Most likely face + shoulder but zoom with your legs. try EF 35mm F1.4 if you have no budget. Prime lens got to get use to it by zooming with your feet

  15. #15

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    85/1.2L II
    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    he's using cropped body.. so maybe 50L?
    Nope 85L is a better choice but looking at price wise TS may not consider.

    @ 85 TS can take face shot at a friendlier distance. Half & full body, just have to let the leg do its job.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  16. #16

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    why didnt you include 24-70 f2.8?? it's a pretty good choice as well!

  17. #17

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    why didnt you include 24-70 f2.8?? it's a pretty good choice as well!
    Yes 24-70F2.8L is a good choice but in term of bokeh 85F1.2L is still better
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by dleugene View Post
    Nope 85L is a better choice but looking at price wise TS may not consider.

    @ 85 TS can take face shot at a friendlier distance. Half & full body, just have to let the leg do its job.
    It just work the same way for 50L isn't it? For face shots, just take a few steps forward. For full body shots, can work at a friendly distance w/o having to shout..

    It's not clear cut that 85L is a better choice.. probably subject to the individual's style and preference. But of coz it is a very attractive lens.

  19. #19

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Yes, EF 200mm f2

  20. #20

    Default Re: don't know which lens to get..

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    It just work the same way for 50L isn't it? For face shots, just take a few steps forward. For full body shots, can work at a friendly distance w/o having to shout..

    It's not clear cut that 85L is a better choice.. probably subject to the individual's style and preference. But of coz it is a very attractive lens.
    Like what you say subject to individual preference. With 50mm i feel that i am too close to the model when doing face shot. That why 85mm is my choice.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •