Thread: Some questions about step up/down rings

Default Some questions about step up/down rings

okies i am newbie to this

i know that the use of step up/down rings bound to have some disdvantages.

for example, if i am using a 72mm filter to step up to 77mm ...

what actually happens to that 5mm that is not covered?

also for example, if i am using a 77mm to step down to 72mm...

does that means that 5mm got 'cut off'?

ok this might sounds silly to some

so if i really had to use a step up/down ring, so i use a step up or step down is better?

cos currently... i got 2 lens that is 72mm and 1 that is 77mm... so trying to save some cost to buy 2 different filters for all 3 lens.

i know another alternative is to buy those square filters... but i still prefer using the usual screw mount filter.

Default Re: Some questions about step up/down rings

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    okies i am newbie to this

i know that the use of step up/down rings bound to have some disdvantages.

for example, if i am using a 72mm filter to step up to 77mm ...

what actually happens to that 5mm that is not covered?

also for example, if i am using a 77mm to step down to 72mm...

does that means that 5mm got 'cut off'?

ok this might sounds silly to some

so if i really had to use a step up/down ring, so i use a step up or step down is better?

cos currently... i got 2 lens that is 72mm and 1 that is 77mm... so trying to save some cost to buy 2 different filters for all 3 lens.

i know another alternative is to buy those square filters... but i still prefer using the usual screw mount filter.
    For UV filters for protection, you shud have them on all your lenses. For others like CPL, you can just buy one, 77mm, and also one step up ring 72-77mm. Use the step up ring on your 72mm lens, then screw in your 77mm CPL.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    For UV filters for protection, you shud have them on all your lenses. For others like CPL, you can just buy one, 77mm, and also one step up ring 72-77mm. Use the step up ring on your 72mm lens, then screw in your 77mm CPL.
    yup... already got UV filters for protection.

now i am hesitating whether to get a 77mm for my 17-40 to step down to 72mm for my 35 and 135 or the other way round. i dun use my 17-40 that often these days... but was thinking if i step up from 72 -> 77... is there any disadvantage cos after all i am try to make a smaller diameter to fit to a bigger diameter... usually big cover small is recommended but i am not sure if small cover big in this case is advisable?

yup... already got UV filters for protection.

now i am hesitating whether to get a 77mm for my 17-40 to step down to 72mm for my 35 and 135 or the other way round. i dun use my 17-40 that often these days... but was thinking if i step up from 72 -> 77... is there any disadvantage cos after all i am try to make a smaller diameter to fit to a bigger diameter... usually big cover small is recommended but i am not sure if small cover big in this case is advisable?
    Don't understand you. U cannot use a 72mm CPL on a 77mm lens filter thread. You will have tons of vignetting. U have to do it the other way round, use a step up ring for your 72mm lens, then mount a 77mm CPL.

Don't understand you. U cannot use a 72mm CPL on a 77mm lens filter thread. You will have tons of vignetting. U have to do it the other way round, use a step up ring for your 72mm lens, then mount a 77mm CPL.
    not CPL filters but ND filters. can i use 72mm step up to 77mm? or it has to be 77mm step down to 72mm?

not CPL filters but ND filters. can i use 72mm step up to 77mm? or it has to be 77mm step down to 72mm?
    Use 77mm ND/CPL. But you must use step up ring 72-77mm on your 72mm lens first, then mount the 77mm ND on your lens. Don't use step down ring because it's different.

bro,

generally, you just think about it this way,

if 72mm ring lens, has no problem with 72mm filter, then using a LARGER filter than that, will not be a problem. so if you use a 72mm-->77mm step up ring, you will not face any trouble with vignetting, etc. in fact, maybe might have less problems than using a 72mm filter. so that's no issue. other than the fact that it is mar fun.

if a 77mm ring lens, put step down ring to use 72mm filter, might have problems.

but once again, it depends. such problem will usually be more major for wider lenses. telephoto lenses, can't say for sure, as i have never seen this being done or used before.

Use 77mm ND/CPL. But you must use step up ring 72-77mm on your 72mm lens first, then mount the 77mm ND on your lens. Don't use step down ring because it's different.
    ah that makes sense now... going by the big cover small theory... cos i am wondering if i can do a small cover big (looks like it dun works).

thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    bro,

if 72mm ring lens, has no problem with 72mm filter, then using a LARGER filter than that, will not be a problem. so if you use a 72mm-->77mm step up ring, you will not face any trouble with vignetting, etc. in fact, maybe might have less problems than using a 72mm filter. so that's no issue. other than the fact that it is mar fun.

if a 77mm ring lens, put step down ring to use 72mm filter, might have problems.

but once again, it depends. such problem will usually be more major for wider lenses. telephoto lenses, can't say for sure, as i have never seen this being done or used before.
    thanks bro for the explaination!

You got confused over the difference between a step up and step down ring. Very simple to remember, if you want to make your lens rim bigger, use a step up ring. If you were to use a step down ring, you are actually making your lens rim smaller.

You got confused over the difference between a step up and step down ring. Very simple to remember, if you want to make your lens rim bigger, use a step up ring. If you were to use a step down ring, you are actually making your lens rim smaller.
    yah... my mind not functioning properly today haha :x

Blog Entries

bro,

Actually bro, a lot depends on the lens also. On some wide angle lenses going up 5mm may cause slight vignetting.

On my 17-50, if I use a 67mm slim CPL, it works fine. If I use a 67-72mm ring and a 72mm slim CPL, I get slight vignetting. But if I go 67-77mm and a 77mm slim CPL, then I get no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually bro, a lot depends on the lens also. On some wide angle lenses going up 5mm may cause slight vignetting.

On my 17-50, if I use a 67mm slim CPL, it works fine. If I use a 67-72mm ring and a 72mm slim CPL, I get slight vignetting. But if I go 67-77mm and a 77mm slim CPL, then I get no problems.
    quick question... for B+W ND filters (i am looking at ND110)... is the filter thick?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

i wonder why though..

perhaps the step up ring is more substantial than a slim CPL?

Blog Entries

i wonder why though..

perhaps the step up ring is more substantial than a slim CPL?
    I think it is the construction of the lens itself, that FOV allows much less tolerance. So with a 17mm focal length, that step up ring with the slim CPL did not give enough clearance.

The best is to go 77mm. But I have a lens with 72mm thread but luckily it is a FX lens, so is more forgiving. Thing is I stayed with the 72mm CPL, since I do not want to bother with too many rings. My only 77mm thread lens is the tokina 11-16 and CPL is useless for that lens anyway. So I just live with it. I just crop a little off when I do use a CPL at 17mm. But I find I am not using that CPL a lot nowadays.

Blog Entries

quick question... for B+W ND filters (i am looking at ND110)... is the filter thick?
    Yes it is.

Actually DD is correct, it really depends on the construction of the lens, i think.

Back then when i was using 72 stepup to 77, and i have quite abit of vignetting. I got frustrated so i tried 72 to 67 and it turned out ok. I was surprised coz i thought if i reduced the size then most prob the vignetting would be more. But it was the other way round.