Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

  1. #1

    Default UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Hi guys, recently my baby had a knock and the UV filter broke but the lens is ok(Thank goodness).

    Thing is, after removing all the glass pieces i am unable to remove the filter itself from the lens.

    All this happened early in the morning, with the camera & lens in my lowepro bag. Thank god for the uv filter.

    I was quoted by Nikon the removal of the filter will cost at least $100 & 2 weeks.

    Anyone know of a better alternative?
    The lens is still under warranty.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
    Hi guys, recently my baby had a knock and the UV filter broke but the lens is ok(Thank goodness).

    Thing is, after removing all the glass pieces i am unable to remove the filter itself from the lens.

    All this happened early in the morning, with the camera & lens in my lowepro bag. Thank god for the uv filter.

    I was quoted by Nikon the removal of the filter will cost at least $100 & 2 weeks.

    Anyone know of a better alternative?
    The lens is still under warranty.
    Did it look dented?

  3. #3
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    You are not known as The Hulk for nothing
    Oops... sorry for making fun of you. I hope you manage to get the filter out. You might try to search for some answers on filter removal techniques from Google or ClubSNAP, but ultimately if it's dented then it'll be very difficult to turn something which is not round, into something which is round again.

    Then again, you're not known as The Hulk for nothing, right?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    power la... 1 knock bengkoke... send to rsc, dont pheng the filter out or else u will hurt ur baby
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Actually if it is not dented much, you can remove it yourself with a filter wrench.

  6. #6

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    try this.. do you have those anti slip mat??? Place the mat on a flat table top.. place yr lens with stucked filter on downwards... exert yr Hulk force downwards + anti clockwise rotate the lens body... the filter should come out..
    Last edited by Omega23; 28th July 2010 at 04:04 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
    Hi guys, recently my baby had a knock and the UV filter broke but the lens is ok(Thank goodness).

    Thing is, after removing all the glass pieces i am unable to remove the filter itself from the lens.

    All this happened early in the morning, with the camera & lens in my lowepro bag. Thank god for the uv filter.

    I was quoted by Nikon the removal of the filter will cost at least $100 & 2 weeks.

    Anyone know of a better alternative?
    The lens is still under warranty.
    It happened to me before. My camera bag dropped to the floor when it slipped off the hangar in the toilet. You can choose to remove it yourself but you might damage the filter threads of your lens (which i did) especially if its forced inwards and threads are no longer aligned. I just got front barrel rim of my 18-200mm replaced....surprisingly for only $14 but mine is canon though...

  8. #8

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    i Had that sort of problem but was able to remove it using a filter wrench. I ordered it from mass sales but cannot remember which store. I have a filter wrench and can try if you want to?
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  9. #9

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    try this.. do you have those anti slip mat??? Place the mat on a flat table top.. place yr lens with stucked filter on downwards... exert yr Hulk force downwards + anti clockwise rotate the lens body... the filter should come out..

    Hahaha. Its the filter is dented so thts maybe why its so hard to remove.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  10. #10

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by Yangzw View Post
    It happened to me before. My camera bag dropped to the floor when it slipped off the hangar in the toilet. You can choose to remove it yourself but you might damage the filter threads of your lens (which i did) especially if its forced inwards and threads are no longer aligned. I just got front barrel rim of my 18-200mm replaced....surprisingly for only $14 but mine is canon though...
    Ahhh! You were in the same boat i was! Will go to NSC and get them to check it out.

    Can you guys imagine the heart pain when i heard the glass sounds when i lifted the cam bag?
    Basket 6 am in the morning somemore.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  11. #11

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    i Had that sort of problem but was able to remove it using a filter wrench. I ordered it from mass sales but cannot remember which store. I have a filter wrench and can try if you want to?
    Woah, i shall google this solution and think about it. thanks for the reply man. Didn't know a "filter wrench exist"
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  12. #12

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
    Ahhh! You were in the same boat i was! Will go to NSC and get them to check it out.

    Can you guys imagine the heart pain when i heard the glass sounds when i lifted the cam bag?
    Basket 6 am in the morning somemore.
    haha wat a coincidence.....mine happened in the morning too.....at amk hub!

  13. #13
    Member YuccaTheFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hidden beneath the viewfinder
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Dont need to use a filter wrench, my 85mm took a bump to the floor too, i simply took 3rubber bands, attach them to your lens together with the lens cover and apply pressure. It eased pretty easily

  14. #14
    Member MrKami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    i have a brand new Lens Filter Wrench if u want i can sell u ^_^ pm me if u want (:
    My Passion, My Dedication, My Photography

  15. #15

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Try this perhaps?
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  16. #16

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    Hi, Try DIY shop for help where there are various tools to unscrew the filter out. It is cheaper and on the spot. However, the responsilibity of damage is yours and the service is a minimum
    sum, if you are willing to take the risk.

  17. #17
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: UV Filter stuck on camera lens after knock

    No kidding folks, you don't need a knock to get a filter stuck... A couple of days ago I was happy happy snapping sunset shots at the bridge near clark quay... Satisfied with the eve, I decided to pack up.... to my horror when I unscrewed the ring adaptor for the Lee filter holder, the B+W clear glass filter on my lens was unscrewed together as well!!! I don't even remember tightening the bugger (adaptor)! After mins of struggling to unscrew, some thing gave way and I thought phew... out it comes... but no... the filter lens and the rear inner sealer came out instead... the filter ring is still stuck to the adaptor ring!!!... Panic strickened...I kept at it... tried all ways to loosen it, with cloth for tighter grip, slight knock on something soft, etc... still stuck... after 30 mins of struggling... it finally came loose...

    So be careful guys, sometimes it doesn't require a knock to get the filter stuck... Even with adaptor rings! I specifically mentioned the brands because if you have the same combo as me... beware... it happened once, it can happen again...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 20th August 2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •